When I meet with enterprises, it’s rare that our discussions begin with why they should adopt cloud.
In fact, 96 percent of respondents in a recent survey are using at least one public or private cloud, and on average, most companies are using or experimenting with nearly five public and private clouds. It’s clear that enterprises are eager to adopt cloud to tap into services such as AI, analytics and blockchain to generate new business value.
The question I hear most often now is, “How do I get my workloads to the cloud?” The process of migrating workloads can still be a daunting task for many enterprises with network complexity, downtime, application dependency, security and total project time being the top concerns.
We’re pleased to announce two of our turnkey cloud services, VMware Cloud Foundation on IBM Cloud and vCenter Server on IBM Cloud, will now include VMware HCX as an integrated part of the service offering.
This is designed to make it even easier to migrate workloads to VMware on IBM Cloud and further simplifies application portability across hybrid cloud environments. Through this new capability integrated with IBM Cloud for VMware Solutions, virtual machines will be licensed and enabled for migration, continuous hybrid interconnect and movement between an existing data center and the IBM Cloud. This can help enterprises control costs for cloud migration projects and enable true hybridity without requiring an unnaturally aggressive and compressed project timeline. We anticipate the enhanced service offerings will be available for purchase within the next 60 days.
Global enterprises such as American Airlines have used the powerful combination of VMware Cloud Foundation on IBM Cloud and HCX to streamline the cloud migration process. HCX also provides longer-term benefits such as continuous hybrid interconnectivity to allow enterprises to move workloads across public and private clouds at any time.
Dell EMC is expanding its portfolio of IBM Cloud for VMware solutions to include HCX, building on the Dell and IBM agreement to resell IBM Cloud for VMware solutions to Dell’s large ecosystem of mid-market customers.
Allwyn Sequeira, senior vice president and general manager for the Hybrid Cloud Services business unit at VMware, commented on why this update is so important:
“VMware and IBM continue to be strategically aligned in supporting customers’ journeys to the cloud, and we are working together to make the cloud migration journey and continued hybrid interconnect as simple and seamless as possible. From our early partnership to deliver complete software-defined data centers as a service through VMware Cloud Foundation, and now our pioneering efforts with VMware HCX technologies to help reduce the cost and complexity of large-scale, on-premises workload migration, together we are delivering a powerful enterprise cloud platform with operational consistency and global scale.”
Learn more about a new collaboration between IBM, VMware, Dell EMC and Pivotal focused on hybrid cloud and cloud native applications in the video below.
Cloud computing is nearing its second decade of existence. Since 2000, the industry and technology landscape has matured greatly, with organizations evolving from using cloud experimentally to cloud being a platform for innovation and running entire businesses. However, despite the growth in acceptance, enterprise cloud adoption and the rate at which enterprises actively run workloads […]
Most companies are just getting started on their cloud journey. They’ve maybe completed 10 to 20 percent of the trek, with a focus on cost and productivity efficiency, as well as scaling compute power. There’s a lot more though to unlock in that remaining 80 percent: shifting business applications to the cloud and optimizing supply […]
Around the world, heart attacks and strokes represent two of the leading causes of death. Often, they strike with no apparent warning, and if patients don’t make it to a hospital quickly, the prospects of their survival plunge. At Control de Pacientes de Alto Riesgo (COPCAR), or in English, Monitoring for High-Risk Patients, the goal […]