IBM i 7.5 - Base Enhancements
|IBM i 7.5
Note: The announcement materials for IBM i 7.5 can be found here.
The remainder of this landing page intends to make it easy to see the supporting detail for these enhancements.
Db2 for i Enhancements
Note: The following Db2 for i enhancements are delivered by Db2 for i PTF Group SF99950 Level 1.
- Boolean added to SQL, which includes:
- New BOOLEAN data type
- New Boolean scalar functions
- New Boolean aggregate functions
- New Boolean predicates
- New Boolean constants
- New Boolean comparisons
- New Boolean assignments
- Extensive Embedded SQL Support for Boolean
- JSON Boolean support
- XML Boolean support
- Updated CL commands and APIs that include column or field specific detail
- Updated the most popular database access programming methodologies
- RESTRICT ON DROP
- TRY_CAST specification
- RUNSQLSTM command - MARGINS(*SRCFILE)
- New HTTP functions based in QSYS2
- QSYS2.HTTP_PATCH() & QSYS2.HTTP_PATCH_VERBOSE()
- New response header format option for verbose HTTP functions
- Maximum index size increased to 16TB
- Ragged flash
- Query Supervisor - Exit program examples written in CL
IBM i Services (new)
- QSYS2.ADD_USER_INDEX_ENTRY() and QSYS2.ADD_USER_INDEX_ENTRY_BINARY()
IBM i Services (enhanced)
Db2 for i - Services (new)
Db2 for i - Services (enhanced)
- A new Password Encryption Scheme helps users achieve even greater levels of security,
implemented by setting the Password Level (QPWDLVL) to 4.
- The new Check Password Meets Password Rules (QSYCHKPR) API checks if the password specified in the password information meets the password rules for the system on which this API is run.
- Service Tools Security Enhancements
- The "Password expiration interval" attribute was added to the Create Service Tools User ID (CRTSSTUSR), Change Service Tools User ID (CHGSSTUSR), and Display Service Tools User ID (DSPSSTUSR).
- The following SST attributes were added to the Change SST Security Attributes (CHGSSTSECA) and Display SST Security Attributes (DSPSSTSECA) commands:
Duplicate password control
Allow add of digital certificates
Allow service tools user ID with default and expired password to change its own
Maximum sign-on attempts
Password expiration interval
Allow add and remove of password exit programs (new)
- A new SST security attribute was added to indicate whether password exit programs can be added or removed from the QIBM_QSY_VLD_PASSWRD and QIBM_QSY_CHK_PASSWRD exit points.
- The FTP client can allow users to accept an untrusted server certificate
- The FTP client can be configured to allow a FTP user to accept a server certificate that is not signed by a trusted certificate authority.
- SNMPv3 security enhancements
- Configure to allow only SNMPv3 for SNMP agent, local trap manager, SNMP manager APIs
- Define View-based Access Control Model (VACM) rules to restrict information returned
- New SHA-256 and SHA-512 options can be configured as authentication types for users
- SNMPv3 Printer Driver Support
- The IBM i printer commands CRTDEVPRT and CHGDEVPRT added support for SNMPv3 in IBM i 7.5 for printers configured to use the *IBMSNMPDRV system driver program.
- IBM Tivoli Directory Server for i (LDAP) QDirSrv Share Removal
- The QDIRSRV share was created for PC clients to access the old LDAP ADMIN GUI under the directory /QIBM/ProdData/OS400/DirSrv/UserTools/Windows. This is no longer needed.
- IBM Tivoli Directory Server for i (LDAP) Setting advanced password policy
- The password policy capabilities of IBM Tivoli Directory Server for i (LDAP) can be extended to enforce rules for advanced password syntax checking in addition to the standard default rules.
- 5770UME(CIM) V1R4M0 disables Transport Layer Security version 1.1 (TLSv1.1)
- IBM Universal Manageability Enablement (5770-UME) has been enhanced in V1R4M0 to disable Transport Layer Security version 1.1 (TLSv1.1) protocol connections.
- IBM i NetServer: Restrict Server and Share Access with Authorization Lists
An additional layer of security has been added for IBM i NetServer to allow securing access to the server or specific shares through *AUTL objects. Administrators can now restrict which users can access IBM i NetServer or specific shares without changes to underlying object permissions. Updating the configuration can be performed through Navigator by changing IBM i NetServer Properties or Share properties, or by using the IBM i NetServer APIs.
General Operating System
- New default for ASYNCBRING parameter
- RSTUSRPRF USRPRF(*ALL) eases restrictions
- Progress message for IFS restore is enhanced
- TCP Selective Acknowledgment (SACK) support on IBM i streamlines the retransmission of data when there is packet loss in the network.
- IBM i DNS upgrades to a newer BIND release.
- The FTP server logon exit point allows the IPV4 address to be specified for IPV4 passive data connection reply.
- Customize the IPv4 interface for data connection via exit point QIBM_QTMF_SVR_LOGON
- IBM i SMTP Enhancements
- SMTP has been enhanced to support email forwarding automatically
- SMTP is also now allowed to specify a different sender email address when sending emails
- SMTP allows users to configure a different retention time for successfully and unsuccessfully sent emails
- Retrieve segment retransmission and reset connection counts for a line
- Added support for CCSID 1379. This CCSID adds more support for Traditional Chinese and includes some Simplified Chinese support.
- CCSID 1377 conversion update to support Hong Kong Traditional Chinese mixed host enhancements for HKSCS (Mapping is HKSCS-2008 to Unicode 38064 (Unicode 5.2) level).
- CCSID 1388 conversion update to support Simplified Chinese DBCS- GB 18030 Host with UDCs and Uygur extension (Mapping is GBK-2015 to Unicode 50352 (Unicode 8.0) level).
- Added CCSID 1210 to provide limited support for UTF-EBCDIC. For more information, see UTF-EBCDIC.
- The IBM default mapping support for CCSID 1399 to and from Unicode converts 5 characters differently than Microsoft does in its default support. This can cause problems for customers that have both operating systems in their environment. For more information on how to address this, see Alternative CCSID 1399 conversion.
- IBM i 7.5 supports a maximum of 48 processors per partition in SMT8 mode but can scale up to 240 processors per partition with a Lab Services engagement.
- Service Tools can now display detailed information about individual NVMe devices on the system.
- The operator panel sequence is simplified for unmanaged servers.
The new Web based Navigator continues to be enhanced as we strive tohelp the IBM i Administrator manage and update their IBM i systems.
- Angular & PrimeNG upgrade - may change column layout of some tables
- SMTP properties
- New Audit Journal support:
- View bar chart of audit journal entry counts for one day
- View graph of audit journal entry counts for a week
- View detailed information for each entry type in a table
- VPN - dynamic key connection
- LDAP - Network configure publishing
- Configure Publishing and Unconfigure publishing
- Monitors enhancements
- Added window listing all the replacement variables that can be used for each monitor type
- Added "owning user profile" on properties page. This field can be updated and also whether or not the owner will be updated when modified.
- Performance Data Investigator updates
- Initial implementation of Content Manager OnDemand for i (product 5770-RD1)
- Systems can now be defined into Groups. Create groups to arrange your systems in logical groupings.
- Ability to close the Description area (right column) on the main ACS interface
- Customize the description for the 'Hardware Management Interface ' values that can be defined for each system configured.
- Run SQL Scripts now supports Tabs. Each connection (window) now has the ability to have many tabs where you can have separate SQL Scripts open and being edited. This provides a very nice way to easily work on many files. You can even drag and drop a folder with select SQL files into a new Run SQL Scripts window, and a new tab for each file is opened.
- The Call (CALL) and Call Bound Procedure (CALLPRC) commands now allow expressions to be passed as parameters and allow you to specify type and length for each parameter.
- New ILE C/C++ built-in functions for atomic memory access are added in this release. In a program with multiple threads, you can use these functions to atomically and safely modify data in one thread without interference from another thread.
- Call Services Program Procedure API (QARUCLSP) raises the number of parameters up to 248.
- OPTION(*EVENTF) was added to selected program commands
Integrated File System Exit Points
Two new exit points are supplied in this release: QIBM_QP0L_OBJ_CLOSE and QIBM_QP0L_OBJ_OPEN. A new file system attribute, 'Run exit program', controls whether the exit programs registered to these exit points will run when a file system object is opened or closed. An exit program can perform application-specific processing when the object is opened or closed, such as verification, conversion, or removal of temporary objects. This support is enabled for the root, QOpenSys, user-defined, and QDLS file systems. More information can be found in the IBM i Documentation for these exit points:
- New opcode SND-MSG allows you to send an informational or escape message
- New opcode ON-EXCP allows you to monitor for a specific error message in a MONITOR group
- New opcode DATA-GEN generates a structured document, such as JSON or CSV, from an RPG variable
- New opcode FOR-EACH begins a group of operations that iterates through the elements of an array, %LIST, or %SUBARR
- New IN operator to determine whether an item is in an array or %LIST, or in a range
- LOTS More...
- New Enterprise NVMe U.2 Devices
IBM PowerHA SystemMirror for IBM i 7.5 with HA version 5.1.2 brings several enhancements to the PowerHA portfolio, including:
- A simplified single edition offering.
- Reduced data transfer during resynchronization with Geographic Mirroring Compression (This enhancement will be available June 24, 2022).
- Ability to configure PowerHA to switch many IP addresses in a single device CRG without custom exit programs with a new configuration object type, *IPA.
- Integrated switchover progress monitoring with enhanced notifications when action is required.
Numerous performance improvements
Note: PTF SI78996 (plus language PTFs) is a required PTF for PowerHA on IBM i 7.5.
For more information on these enhancements and to get started, see the IBM PowerHA SystemMirror for i wiki page.
Db2 Mirror for i
Mixed Release Support
- Support for running one node at IBM i 7.4 and the other node at IBM i 7.5.
- Enables the ability to keep the business online while you enable IBM i 7.5.
- The IBM i 7.4 nodes should have the latest Db2 Mirror for i group PTF and Db2 for i group before upgrading the other node to 7.5
- These services are tools that can be used to help manage differences between the two nodes.
- Through the ADD_MIRROR_VERSION procedure you can add your software function to a list that is replicated with the other node.
- Using the MIRROR_VERSION_LIST view you can view the entries that have been added.
- Designate one node as a read-only node and take advantage of real time replication without the risk of a change being replicated back
- All replicated objects are designated as read-only
- In the event of a failure, the read-only node can take over and become the active node.
Backup and restore enhancements
- The SAVBRM command parameter has the new default of ASYNCBRING(*YES)
- Backup control group support for IFS backups using SAVACTOPT(*ALWCHKPWRT) and SAVACTOPT(*ALL).
- Backup control group entry support for Save active message queue library.
- RSTLIBBRM has been enhanced with the STRJRN() and SELECT()parameters.
- RSTOBJBRM has been enhanced with the STRJRN() parameter.
Report and BRMS log enhancements
- Recovery report (QP1ARCY) steps have been enhanced to include cloud recovery support for Network Install Using Network File System(NFS) and using DSI VTL iSCSI attached devices.
- PRTRPTBRM has been enhanced with an EXPDATE() parameter to select which records to include in the report.
- DSPLOGBRM has been enhanced to support OUTPUT(*OUTFILE)and OUTPUT(*OUTSTMF).
Media services enhancements
- WRKMEDBRM has been enhanced to select multiple From locations and multiple Media class names.
- WRKMEDBRM has been enhanced to support OUTPUT(*OUTFILE)and OUTPUT(*OUTSTMF).
- WRKPCYBRM *SYS option for BRMS to include all messages that occur during BRMS command processing in the BRMS log.
- WRKPCYBRM *RCY option for check the size of the restore.
- WRKPCYBRM *BKU option for automatic virtual volume attributes.
- BRMS is introducing SQL Service interfaces as a new way to view, order, and subset BRMS information.
- The default for the BRMS shipped database is changing from *PUBLIC *USE authority to *PUBLIC *EXCLUDE.
- The default authority for BRMS shipped functional usage is changing from default authority *ALLOWED to *DENIED. Use the SETUSRBRM command as a starting point to grant system operators and administrators access to BRMS functions and components. Then use the functional usage model to customize access by user.
- The default for BRMS APIs assigned functional authority is changing from *ALLOWED to *DENIED.
- The data authority for BRMS shipped flight recording is changing from data authority *RWX to *WX.
API and Exit Program Enhancements
- Reclaim Media (Q1ARCLMED) API gives users the ability to programmatically reclaim a single tape volume.
- Change Control Group Attributes (Q1ACHGCGA) API enables users to change programmatically the control group attributes.
- Control Group exit program support for new format BKUI0200.
- Added support for Ultrium 9 (LTO9) tape drives and media.
- Added support for DSI VTL iSCSI attached devices.
24 May 2022