Why should I choose IBM Multicloud Manager?
IBM Multicloud Manager is a true multicloud, multi-cluster management platform that helps enterprises run and deploy their applications, and ensures applications are configured for optimal performance. IBM Multicloud Manager has the following features:
- Manages numerous Kubernetes clusters in multiple clouds, is enterprise-grade and built as a cloud-native application (Kubernetes is an open source system for deploying, automating and managing containerized applications)
- Supports a range of target environments including multiple data centers and public clouds that run Kubernetes clusters
- Provides a single management view of the Kubernetes clusters in your environment for complete cluster lifecycle management
- Supports policy enforcement at the target clusters using Kubernetes-supported custom resource definitions (CRDs)
- Supports deploying and managing multi-cluster applications consistently across a multicloud environment
- Integrates with your existing enterprise management tools for logging, monitoring and event management
What are the important market trends in multicloud?
Organizations are leveraging the cloud to become more competitive, get to market faster and build new capabilities into their applications and customer interactions like analytics and artificial intelligence (AI). Enterprises are using multiple private clouds in different data centers for performance and availability. Outside of the enterprise, teams are using public clouds for infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and for services like AI, storage and analytics. Implementing numerous Kubernetes clusters in multiple clouds is the best practice in developing and deploying new enterprise-class, cloud-native applications and modernizing existing applications.
What are the challenges that come with managing multiple Kubernetes clusters across clouds?
Managing individual Kubernetes clusters is expensive, error-prone and time consuming without a multi-cluster, multicloud management tool. The larger the number of clusters, the more impractical it becomes. Understanding failures of pods, storage and other services requires you to log into each cluster. Clusters have to be configured individually, increasing the probability of errors. Compliance checks require time as they have to be done across clusters, and multi-cluster applications have to be deployed in parts and then connected together. Monitoring an application may require multiple consoles.
What are the top technical features to look for in evaluating multicloud solutions?
Speed of setup and scale
- Ease of provisioning and managing clusters
- Support for self-service mechanisms for requesting clusters
- Support for pull-based, scalable management for managing a large number of clusters
- Support for end-to-end encryption and TLS (Transport Layer Security)
- Support for role-based access control (RBAC)
Target environments supported
- Support for standards-based open source and other-vendor Kubernetes
- Support for multiple clouds, infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and Kubernetes services
- Ability to set polices that govern compliance
Multi-cluster, multicloud application deployment
- Ability to deploy applications across clusters, using a single template
- Automatic availability or microservices management by restarting
- Integrated event and incident management tools
- Federated monitoring across clusters
Why is IBM Multicloud Manager the best solution for managing your cloud-native and application modernization environment?
With built-in security and compliance, IBM Multicloud Manager simplifies and organizes your large environment. It helps to reduce cost of management, provide choice in the target environments and increase governance. With its multi-cluster approach to application deployment, cloud-native and application modernization, workloads can be deployed across clusters with full governance and manageability. Continuous delivery pipelines can directly take advantage of the governance using APIs and deploy applications based on policy.
How does IBM Cloud Private align to IBM Multicloud Manager?
IBM Multicloud Manager is a logical extension of IBM’s private cloud strategy. Clients naturally grow from a single cluster or single project implementation of Kubernetes clusters to multiple clusters, perhaps split across multiple cloud deployments. This requires a management capability that is consistent in architecture and core technology and uses common services. IBM Multicloud Manager is a cloud-native application built on IBM Cloud™ Private and leverages a number of the common services that deliver a unified experience and remove the need for complex integrations.
Does IBM Multicloud Manager replace IBM Cloud Automation Manager?
No, IBM Multicloud Manager and IBM Cloud Automation Manager provide different and complementary capabilities of a complete multicloud management solution. IBM Multicloud Manager uses IBM Cloud Automation Manager multicloud automation services to provision, configure and deliver individual Kubernetes clusters as-a-service in any cloud supported by IBM Cloud Automation Manager.
How does IBM Multicloud Manager support my organization’s strategic goals?
IBM Multicloud Manager helps you accelerate innovation by increasing flexibility in the choice of clouds, and provides these benefits:
- Provides faster ROI by immediately reducing the cost of management
- Enables development teams to develop and deploy applications, leveraging the best services across clouds
- Provides a governed environment for regulated workloads
- Supports application modernization by allowing large-scale heritage applications to be deployed in modern multi-cluster environments
- Keeps data secure using the on-premises private cloud, while allowing the application front-end to scale out in the public cloud
- Provides a migration path for applications from private cloud to public cloud and vice versa
How can I purchase IBM Multicloud Manager?
Contact IBM for a free consultation with a cloud expert to gauge your progress on your journey to cloud.
Developers and operations managers
Stay tuned for an upcoming Community Edition.
Get started with a free Garage consultation
Work with an IBM expert for free to maximize IBM Multicloud Manager. Set aside up to four hours for the one-on-one session, an in-depth starter guide for successfully adapting to a multicloud world.