As enterprises look to move to the cloud, especially those in highly regulated industries, there are concerns of security.
Enterprises, especially those in heavily regulated industries, want to take advantage of the cloud but have a lot of concerns with security and data privacy. As they deal with highly confidential and sensitive customer data, they need to ensure its protection by minimizing the threat of attack vectors. It has become increasingly common to hear news of data breaches by way of vulnerabilities being exploited by both internal and external threats, such as cloud providers, system administrators, or even exposure of data by their own employees. Enterprises need a Virtual Server option that offers a high level of security and authority over workloads, without sacrificing on performance or scalability.
IBM offers a range of Virtual Server options based on various IaaS use-cases and OS platforms. Today, IBM Cloud is announcing the general availability of IBM Cloud Hyper Protect Virtual Servers out of the Dallas and Sydney Data Centers.
What are IBM Cloud Hyper Protect Virtual Servers?
IBM Cloud Hyper Protect Virtual Servers address the listed security concerns of regulated enterprises. First, in order to provision one of these Linux Virtual Servers in the public cloud, it requires the user to provide a public SSH key—this means that only the user has access. Second, these Virtual Servers are built on IBM LinuxONE technology, which provides built-in workload isolation, tamper protection from privileged user access, and encryption of all data at-rest and in-flight. IBM Cloud Hyper Protect Virtual Servers provide data protection and security in the cloud without sacrificing vertical scalability or performance.
Designed for solutions architects and developers, and managed by IBM, this offer provides a secure Virtual Server that does the following:
- Runs high-performance workloads and deploys sensitive data and business IP with complete authority.
- Utilizes pervasive encryption—100% encryption of data at-rest and data in-flight. Security is driven by the technology down to the hardware layer, not just by software rules and policies.
- Supports industry certifications and client regulatory compliance requirements (ISO 27K, HIPAA-ready).
- Provides an intuitive UI dashboard to monitor the status of your Virtual Server instances.
- Supports the development of mission critical applications within a runtime environment built on the most secure Linux-based platform, IBM LinuxONE.
- Offers a simple, three-tiered monthly pricing model that includes the cost for vCPU, RAM, and storage.
Hyper Protect Virtual Servers operational model
Because the offering gives complete authority of the Virtual Server to the customer, the operational model for the IBM Cloud Hyper Protect Virtual Servers offers is as shown below:
- Infrastructure upgrades
- Disk encryption
- Infrastructure security and vulnerability management
- Instance uptime
Customer responsibilities (inside the Virtual Server)
- Vulnerability management and security scans
- Backup and restore of data inside Virtual Server
- Maintain OS patches, version, and security updates
- Use security groups and network ACLs to secure your Virtual Server instances
- Choose how workload connect to the public internet
- Protect the private keys that authenticate access to the Virtual Server.
See more details on IBM and client responsibilities.
Beta and new clients receive a 30-day free trial
All our new and existing beta users will get a 30-day free trial period to evaluate their Hyper Protect Virtual Servers instance. Beta users with existing instances will automatically be updated to the GA service with support for 30 days from the GA date (today).
Check out the Getting Started video: