Today, IBM Cloud is announcing the availability of two new IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS services.
As business leaders look at moving to the cloud, enterprises, especially in highly regulated industries, are concerned about protecting highly confidential and sensitive customer data in the cloud. Unauthorized user access, encryption details, or exposure of data by internal users have become public in the media. Given the average cost of a security breach ($3.86M per a 2018 Ponemon Cost of Data Breach Study, sponsored by IBM), it is no wonder that security is top of mind.
Designed to meet the needs of customers requiring complete data confidentiality for mission-critical applications, the services are built on IBM LinuxONE technology, which provides built-in workload isolation, tamper protection from privileged user access, and excellent vertical scalability and performance. This allows data owners to maintain complete control over their data in the cloud, no one—including cloud admins—has access to the customer data at any point.
IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS features
Designed to be developer friendly, and managed by IBM, the offers provide the following:
- Standard APIs to provision, manage, maintain, and monitor multiple database types so that it is easy to get started without the need to have specialized DBA skills.
- High availability, where every deployment is built as a highly available clustered configuration. There are three node clusters for each deployed instance hosted on LinuxONE in a Multi-Zone Region (MZR) setup within an IBM Cloud Region.
- Automatic daily backups and around the clock support from IBM Cloud.
- Support for industry certifications and client regulatory compliance activities.
- A simple, three-tiered monthly pricing model that includes the cost for RAM, storage, and a highly available three-node cluster.
Given the offers provide complete control of the data to customers, the operational model for the IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS offers is as shown below.
What’s new for GA?
- IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS for PostgreSQL for relational database support
- IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS for MongoDB for NoSQL database support, with MongoDB Enterprise Advanced edition
- The services are now available in this US South region, with Europe and Asia-Pacific planned for Q3.
Dates you need to know
Transition from Beta
If you already have an existing service instance of IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS (Beta), please move to the GA service for your database type—PostgreSQL or MongoDB—at your earliest convenience.
End of Beta Date: June 21, 2019
As of June 21, 2019, you cannot provision any new Hyper Protect DBaaS Beta instances. However, existing Beta instances will continue to be supported until the End of Beta Support Date.
End of Beta Support Date: July 31, 2019
- For a period of 30 days after the End of Beta Date (through July 31, 2019), all existing Beta instances will continue to be available on the Services dashboard in the IBM Cloud console. All existing instances will also continue to be supported by IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS.
- Any Beta instances still provisioned as of the End of Beta Support Date will be deleted.
- Please migrate your data to IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS for PostgreSQL or IBM Cloud Hyper Protect DBaaS for MongoDB GA instances using the migration procedure documented for PostgreSQL and MongoDB and delete your Beta service instances before July 31, 2019.