February 13, 2019 | Written by: Stacy Pedersen
Categorized: Hybrid Deployments
Share this post:
IBM Cloud Private
IBM Cloud Private is a platform for developing and managing containerized applications to run enterprise workloads that support application modernization and cloud-native goals. Included in IBM Cloud Private are the container orchestrator Kubernetes, a private image registry, a management console, and monitoring frameworks.
IBM Cloud Private is available in a community edition and a fully supported enterprise edition. The community edition is available at no charge from Docker Hub. The enterprise edition supports high availability topologies and includes commercial support from IBM for Kubernetes and the IBM Cloud Private management platform. (Note: IBM Cloud Private-CE is limited for non-production environment usage only and does not support HA clusters).
Top-five features in IBM Cloud Private version 3.1.2
IBM Cloud Private version 3.1.2 is now available. So, what are the best features of this new version?
- Upgrade with zero downtime for applications: When you upgrade IBM Cloud Private, applications are not interrupted. With zero downtime, traffic to applications continues to be routed even as management components, such as the ingress controller and kube-dns, are upgraded.
- Multi-release upgrade: IBM Cloud Private now supports upgrading from 3.1.0 to 3.1.2 in addition to upgrading from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2.
- Manage from Linux on IBM Z and LinuxONE (s390x): You can install a complete IBM Cloud Private cluster on Linux on IBM Z and LinuxONE (s390x) in a high availability configuration. For production environments, installing Z worker nodes with either a Linux 64-bit or Linux on Power management plan is supported.
- Azure as a cloud provider: You can enable Microsoft Azure as a cloud provider for IBM Cloud Private deployment and take advantage of all the IBM Cloud Private features on the Azure public cloud. Microsoft Azure is a cloud service provider that offers a cloud-based platform, infrastructure, application, or storage services.
- Windows node: IBM Cloud Private supports Windows worker nodes as a technology preview. You can add a Windows worker node to an existing IBM Cloud Private cluster. Afterward, you can deploy a Windows application to the Windows node.
More details on IBM Cloud Private version 3.1.2
For full details of everything that is new or has changed for IBM Cloud Private version 3.1.2, see the IBM Knowledge Center.
If you want to try IBM Cloud Private, you can use either the hosted trial, the tutorial, or the self-guided demo. You can also try the free community edition. For details, see Get started with IBM Cloud Private. To purchase IBM Cloud Private so that you can download it from IBM Passport Advantage, contact your IBM sales representative at 1-844-952-5683, priority code: Cloud.