IBM® Rational® Application Developer for WebSphere® Software accelerates the development and deployment of Java™, Java EE, Web 2.0, mobile, OSGi, portal and service-oriented architecture (SOA) applications. Both expert and novice developers can increase productivity and efficiency by using its many integrated capabilities for easier development, testing, analysis, and delivery of applications.
Don't want to download and install Rational Application Developer on your local machine? Try it online instead, using either of the following options:
- Try it in a sandbox with WebSphere Application Server.
Preparing for your online trial
The online trial experience allows you to try software products without having to install them on your own system. This is product-level code, with all features and options enabled.
|Step 1: Review the online trial prerequisites|
|Step 2: Review these helpful evaluation resources|
Online trial prerequisites
Sandboxes use the Citrix Receiver to connect your workstation to the remote server running the IBM product you are evaluating.
You will need to download the latest Receiver appropriate for your operating system.
Citrix Receiver 3.4 shows poor performance in some environments and will time out before a connection is made. We recommend unistalling 3.4 and using Citrix 3.3 if this occurs.
Note: When you install the Receiver, you are asked at the last step of the installation to provide a work email or server address. (The screen captures show how the prompts look on a Windows™ system.)
Do not fill in this field. Instead, click Cancel and then Yes to cancel out of the setup, as shown in this figure:
At this point, the installation has completed successfully and you may go on to use the Sandox.
If you do not have the Citrix online plugin installed when you attempt to access the online trial, you will be prompted to install it.
If you're having trouble installing the plugin, go to the Citrix eDocs and search on "receiver".
Microsoft Internet Explorer V6 or later and Mozilla Firefox V1.5 or later are supported.
We recommend that you use a high-speed connection while evaluating software online. Because the session you will be using is running remotely over the Internet with unpredictable delays and latencies, you should not use your experience with the session as a guide to the performance of the tools when installed in a local environment.
During your online trial, you can use your own data and files to try out real-world scenarios on the IBM server. To ensure your privacy, all data and projects are deleted automatically from the remote server at the end of your trial session. Your data files cannot be seen by others, and cannot be retrieved from the remote server after the trial period ends.
Having problems getting connected? Check our connectivity FAQs for solutions to common problems. Or, visit our connectivity forum to submit technical questions about using online trials.
Rational Application Developer includes many scenarios and tutorials that can help you get started with the product. When you start Rational Application Developer, you will see a Welcome screen, which includes icons that link you to a gallery of tutorials and a gallery of samples. The tutorial gallery includes demos that you can watch to see the product in action, as well as demos that allow you to "play and learn" as you explore features. You can return to these galleries at any time: from the tool bar within the product, select Help > Welcome to see your choices.
- Hello World: Rational Application Developer: provides a guided walkthrough of the product. Because you are not installing the product on your own workstation, you do not need to specify a workspace location (the first step in the tutorial). You can change to the J2EE perspective used in the tutorial by closing the welcome panel and then selecting Window > Open Perspective > J2EE. We recommend that you read through the tutorial before beginning your trial, and then keep the tutorial open while you are evaluating Rational Application Developer online.
Want more? Click the Support tab for additional resources designed to help you evaluate this product.
Get pricing and purchase information for IBM Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software here.
Tell your boss
- IBM Rational Software Delivery Platform
- Webcast: Accelerate development of Mobile apps featuring Rational Application Development and WAS liberty profile
- Interactive video: Supercharge Websphere software with Rational software
- Rational Application Developer on developerWorks
- Rational Application Developer for WebSphere Software product page
- IBM Rational Application Developer forum