IBM® Rational® Modeler is a free, UML® 2.1 based environment for specifying systems, software, and architecture. Created by one of UML's founders and a key UML specification author, Rational Modeler enables users to improve communication by specifying, visualizing and documenting their system, architecture and software designs using a standard graphical language.
Rational Modeler allows users to gain access to a robust graphical design environment with check model facility, ability to create domain languages through profiles and requirements modeling. Rational Modeler models can be upgraded to the Rational Rhapsody family for model driven development (MDD) with behavioral code generation, model execution, SysML, UPDM, MARTE, model driven testing, and more.
This product is available in the following languages: English, German, Japanese, French, Swedish, Spanish.
This trial has all features enabled. Download the product at no charge.
- When the installer prompts you to choose an edition, select the free product, Rational Rhapsody Modeler Edition.
- Windows 7® users: Run the installation with the Administrator account. Right click on the Rational Modeler MSI file that you downloaded and select Run as Administrator.
- The Corporate edition requires a license key that must be purchased from IBM. If you installed the Corporate Edition by mistake and get a pop-up window requesting a license key, you can switch to the license free Modeler Edition using one of following methods:
- Uninstall the Corporate Edition and reinstall the Modeler Edition.
- Edit the rhapsody.ini file:
- Open the rhapsody.ini file in a text editor such as Notepad. This file is located in the default installation directory of Rational Modeler, C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\Rhapsody Modeler\7.5 or for Windows 7 the location of the license file is found in the C:\users\<username>\ IBM\rational folder.
- Change the line
- Save the file and restart Rational Modeler.
Academic Users: Rhapsody is free for research and classroom.
Platform supported: Windows™