Based on your inputs, it appears that you may not see total cost of ownership savings. We would, however, be happy to run a deeper analysis upon request. For more information, please contact IT.Economics@us.ibm.com.
Over years with LinuxONE, your estimated cost savings could be as much as
Based on your inputs when comparing LinuxONE to x86:
- $ million in savings over years
- Investment payback in months
- Total Cost of Ownership reduced by % in years
- Internal Rate of Return = %
- Return of Investment = %
Underlying assumptions to generate LinuxONE TCO calculator results:
- New x86 hardware pricing has a 30 percent discount applied.
- x86 hardware maintenance is 20 percent of the hardware purchase price.
- Depending on the server type, hardware maintenance will vary from one to three years.
- Migration of x86 workloads to LinuxONE is assumed to cost $10,000 per physical server.
- Database software licensing is calculated by cores with a multi-core factor applied, with Subscription and Support starting the 1st year.
- Database software licensing is assumed to have a discount of 40 percent and Subscription and Support is assumed to be 22 percent of the discounted licensing.
- Application software pricing is calculated by Processor Value Unit, with 1st year Subscription and Support included in licensing.
- Application Software licensing is assumed to have a discount of 25 percent and Subscription and Support is assumed to be 20 percent of the discounted licensing.
- Other software pricing is calculated by cores, with 1st year Subscription and Support included in licensing.
- Other Software Subscription and Support is assumed to be 20 percent of the full licensing.
- Linux Distribution Subscription and Support pricing is estimated to be $13,600 per year per LinuxONE core and $1,750 per year per x86 server.
- Electricity cost used is $0.10/kWh for each server’s specific energy consumption and heat generation. Floor space cost is estimated to be $10,000 per rack.
- Server utilization is based on industry averages.
NOTICE: PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING DISCLAIMER. USING THIS TOOL AND ANY OF THE PROVIDED OUTPUT INDICATES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE PROVISIONS.
This tool provides a high level view of estimated costs and potential savings using publicly available IBM and third party server and pricing information in the United States as well as certain other information in consolidating from an x86 environment to an IBM LinuxONE solution. For TCO, this tool considers certain factors involved in either a 3, 4 or 5 year total cost of ownership including hardware costs, workload type, IBM and ISV software costs, certain facility costs (space, energy), maintenance charges, server utilization, hypervisors and migration. Certain assumptions used in the tool are based on data from hundreds of client studies performed by IBM and your results will vary depending on your environment and other factors. The information and data used to generate the results in the tool is current as of July 2016. Results will also vary based on the selections you make in using the tool. The output from the tool, including, but not limited to any accompanying summary of potential savings are estimates only and are provided on an ’AS IS" BASIS. Any reliance by you on using the tool and any output is at your sole risk and will not create any liability or obligation for IBM.
IN NO EVENT WILL IBM BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR ANY USE OF THIS TOOL, WEB SITE, OR ON ANY OTHER HYPER LINKED WEB SITE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF PROGRAMS OR OTHER DATA ON YOUR INFORMATION HANDLING SYSTEM OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF WE ARE EXPRESSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. This tool is not for use in countries where such comparisons are limited or prohibited by law.
Like what you see? Get your personalized TCO report.