June 5, 2018 | Written by: Joseph Msays
Categorized: Digital Transformation | SAP
Share this post:
According to the 2018 IBM Global C-suite Study, the rules around disruption have changed. In years past, startups and industry newcomers were typically considered the driving force behind innovation. Now, by taking advantage of their ecosystem advantages and reinventing their digital infrastructures, industry incumbents are increasingly moving into the leading role. In fact, 72 percent of respondents to the Global C-suite Study named incumbents as the leading disruptors in their industry — higher than any other type of organization.
To help drive new innovation, 46 percent of organizations are investing in or considering a platform business model, while the remaining 54 percent will need to leverage others’ platforms according to the study. SAP S/4HANA can form the digital core of such an innovation platform, and right now is a great time for organizations to make the move to SAP S/4HANA: recent changes have made it possible to migrate to S/4HANA while also limiting disruption.
Just a few months back, SAP customers who were attempting to modernize their aging SAP ERP Central Component (ECC) with SAP S/4HANA would most likely have felt they were in uncharted waters. Now, things have changed: SAP customers can count on guidance from regularly published SAP roadmaps, as well as assistance from a collection of SAP S/4HANA migration tools. Customers, along with their consulting and systems integration partners, are increasingly capable of carrying out the remediation steps required to ensure a smooth transition to SAP S/4HANA.
With the added support from SAP, some customers may be wondering why an SAP S/4HANA impact assessment is still necessary. As is the case with most things, the devil is in the details. A proper and detailed impact assessment goes deep to provide insight into how the changes will impact business processes, system configuration, master data, transaction data, interfaces and much more within SAP and across the ERP landscape.
Keeping pace with a rapidly changing SAP environment
Moving into the future, SAP plans to continue introducing more changes to enrich functionality across the ERP suite. The volume of changes included in the recent SAP S/4HANA releases (1511, 1610 and 1709) has been significant. Many SAP customers will require assistance to help them understand how these changes will directly affect them. The changes can take place across the special modules, including Commodity Management, Environment, Health and Safety, Direct Store Delivery, International Trade, and industry solutions such as the media industry solution, the utilities industry solution, and restructured retail business functions.
An SAP customer’s ability to efficiently isolate changes that are truly relevant to their operations will become more important as the SAP Simplification List grows longer over time and the demand for faster value realization intensifies.
By performing a proper and detailed SAP S/4HANA impact assessment, SAP customers can take advantage of five key benefits:
1. Help make sure they are ready to complete a successful SAP S/4HANA migration.
2. Get a detailed understanding of the impact caused by technical, custom code, functional and business processes, basis and security, testing, training, and user experience changes.
3. Achieve a higher degree of system improvement through technical, functional and business processes, code and infrastructure remediation.
4. Gain insight into changed features and their influence on the implementation timeline and SAP S/4HANA readiness.
5. Calculate an easy-to-understand numerical value for each of the areas and its remediation approach for planning purposes. (By the way, this is one of the most difficult assessment tasks to accomplish.)
IBM developed the HANA Impact Assessment (HIA) tool to help SAP customers address all the key value points listed above. To learn more, request your IBM HANA Impact Assessment today.
Also, visit our website to learn more about how IBM can help accelerate your SAP S/4HANA migration.