May 4, 2016 | Written by: Doug Rothert
Share this post:
As we continue to make Bluemix services easier to use and understand, we have begun publishing a set of short “Tell Me” videos that explain the value of a given service in simple, easy to understand terms. We recently released the “Tell Me” video for Service Proxy:
- Maureen – our target frustrated DevOps professional (0:00)
- Common problems of developing Microservices (0:13)
- Introducing Service Proxy through a Call Center metaphor to solve these problems (0:46)
- How an inefficient Call Center would route all calls to one person (0:50)
- By comparison how and efficient call center balances calls to multiple people, each with a specific task and scope (1:11)
- Like a Call Center, Service Proxy provides monitoring of each stage of the call, to ensure that the caller gets a timely response (1:38)
- Service Proxy can also let you to test failure recovery – did someone hang up on the caller, or fail to answer to the caller within a reasonable amount of time? (1:52)
- How to get started with Service Proxy (2:12)
As we continue to make Service Proxy an important foundational service for developers creating microservices, we appreciate your feedback. You can submit suggestions to IBM Bluemix Ideas, ask questions on Stack Overflow (#bluemix), dW Answers, or just contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Service Discovery service has been retired from the Bluemix Catalog. Please see the announcement blog post [ https://www.ibm.com/blogs/bluemix/2016/11/retirement-of-ibm-service-discovery-and-service-proxy-services/ ] to learn more about the retirement and Amalgam8, our new open source microservice project that will be succeeding these services.