Welcome to the homepage for technical resources for IBM Z Distribution for Zowe.
Zowe™ technology from the Open Mainframe Project™ of the Linux® Foundation delivers new ways to integrate z/OS®-based services into the enterprise, including hybrid cloud environments, and improved ways to integrate z/OS-based products. It helps to make the IBM® z/OS platform easier to learn and use for the next-generation IT staff.
The IBM Z Distribution for Zowe is used as a software prerequisite for IBM products that require Zowe services. It is provided for those customers that require Zowe software through the standard IBM fulfillment process, with the z/OS components of Zowe being available by Shopz.
Explore the products that use Zowe:
IBM Z Distribution for Zowe ships from the open source community. The IBM distribution is binary equivalent to the open source Zowe.
Zowe 1.9 is the first Active Long-Term Support (LTS) release of Zowe by the open community. Subsequent releases of Zowe from the open community are being delivered from IBM as PTFs on IBM Z Distribution for Zowe using the IBM Continuous Delivery model of enhancements and support.
Also included with IBM Z Distribution for Zowe is IBM Node.js for z/OS SDK as it is a prerequisite for a component of Zowe. Enhancement and support of IBM Node.js for z/OS will also be included under the same terms as Zowe.
There are two use cases for IBM Z Distribution for Zowe:
- To be used as a software prerequisite for IBM products that require Zowe services.
- The support of Zowe and Node.js is entitled through the IBM product support that requires Zowe and Node.js for z/OS. Zowe and Node.js are referred to as Supporting Programs to the IBM product that requires them. (The IBM product is referred as the Principle Product.)
- When Zowe and Node.js are Supporting Programs, the support is limited to the use for the Principle Product. No customer or third-party extensions will be supported unless there is a separate Subscription and Support (S&S) agreement in place for support in addition to the Principle Product.
- To be downloaded independently of any IBM product offering; customers can optionally get Subscription and Support (S&S) from IBM for a fee.
- This S&S offering is used when customers write their own extensions to Zowe for use in their enterprise but want IBM assistance to support the Zowe software.
IBM support for IBM Z Distribution for Zowe is limited to the IBM Z software it distributes. IBM supports the software that is available on Shopz.
The command line interface (CLI) lets you interact with the mainframe remotely. It can be scripted using various interpretive languages, providing simple automation and productivity capabilities.
The Zowe CLI is supported on platforms where Node.js 8.0 or 10 is available, including Windows, Linux, and Mac operating systems.
- Node.js V8.0 or later on your computer
You might need to restart the command prompt after installing Node.js. Issue the command commandnode –version to verify that Node.js is installed. As a best practice, we recommend that you update Node.js regularly to the latest Long-Term Support (LTS) version.
- Node Package Manager V5.0 or later on your computer.
npm is included with the Node.js installation. Issue the command npm --version to verify that npm is installed.
The CLI package contains the Core CLI package and plug-ins.
The Core CLI package contains a Secure Credentials Store plug-in, which is highly recommended for install. Instructions on how to do this can be found here.
This extension modernizes the way developers and system administrators interact with z/OS mainframes. Working with data sets and USS files from VSCode can be an alternative to using 3270 emulators and complements your Zowe CLI experience.
Before you use the Zowe Explorer extension, meet the following software requirements on your computer:
- Get access to z/OSMF.
- Install Node.js v8.0 or later.
- Install VSCode.
- Create one Zowe CLI zosmf profile so that the extension can communicate with the mainframe. You might use an existing Zowe CLI zosmf profile that was created with the Zowe CLI V2.0.0 or later.
Documentation for IBM Z Distribution for Zowe
Support for IBM Z Distribution for Zowe
Fix packs for IBM Z Distribution for Zowe
Zowe and open source community
The Big Picture section was added.