IBM Z Distribution for Zowe ships from the open source community. The IBM distribution is binary equivalent to the open source Zowe.
Zowe 1.9 is the first Active Long-Term Support (LTS) release of Zowe by the open community. Subsequent releases of Zowe from the open community are being delivered from IBM as PTFs on IBM Z Distribution for Zowe using the IBM Continuous Delivery model of enhancements and support.
Also included with IBM Z Distribution for Zowe is IBM Node.js for z/OS SDK as it is a prerequisite for a component of Zowe. Enhancement and support of IBM Node.js for z/OS will also be included under the same terms as Zowe.
There are two use cases for IBM Z Distribution for Zowe:
- To be used as a software prerequisite for IBM products that require Zowe services.
- The support of Zowe and Node.js is entitled through the IBM product support that requires Zowe and Node.js for z/OS. Zowe and Node.js are referred to as Supporting Programs to the IBM product that requires them. (The IBM product is referred as the Principle Product.)
- When Zowe and Node.js are Supporting Programs, the support is limited to the use for the Principle Product. No customer or third-party extensions will be supported unless there is a separate Subscription and Support (S&S) agreement in place for support in addition to the Principle Product.
- To be downloaded independently of any IBM product offering; customers can optionally get Subscription and Support (S&S) from IBM for a fee.
- This S&S offering is used when customers write their own extensions to Zowe for use in their enterprise but want IBM assistance to support the Zowe software.