IBM i 7.2 - TR4 Enhancements
Link to IBM i 7.2 TR3 Announcement Letter: https://ibm.biz/IBMi_TR3_RFA
Db2 for i Functional Enhancements
- OFFSET and LIMIT
- Remote 3-part name support on ASSOCIATE LOCATOR
- LOCATE_IN_STRING() built-in function
- OVERLAY() built-in function
- Flexible Views
- Direct control of system names for global variables
- Remove the 8-80 column restriction for Free form RPG & Embedded SQL
Db2 for i Performance Enhancements
Db2 for i Security Enhancements
- Guardium enhancements for IBM i and Db2 for i
- Start Database Monitor (STRDBMON) command filtering improvements
Db2 for i Availability Enhancements
- Improved internal management of SQL packages for SAP clients
New IBM i Services
Enhanced IBM i Services
IBM i Licensed Program: Back-up, Recovery and Media Services
- Modernization of BRMS storage tiering support to now include IFS, IASP, and tiering within an ASP
IBM i Licensed Program: PowerHA SystemMirror for i
- DS8870 IASP-based HyperSwap support is available in IBM PowerHA SystemMirror for i through a Technology Preview
Hardware and Firmware
- IBM Power S822 model 8284-22A (with and without PurePower)
- Enhanced RAS for PCIe Gen3 I/O Drawer (#EMX0)
- LTO-7 Tape Drives
- 4-port 8Gb Fibre Channel Adapter (#EN12)
- Little Endian Linux Client
- vNIC with SR-IOV
- VLAN Tag Support for Network Boot and Install
- Large Send Offload on Virtual Ethernet
- DUPOPT of IPL-capable media enhancement
- SAN Multipath Support for Tape - Automatic Fail-over
- HDD RAID array start time reduced
- IBM i supports SVC/Storwize HyperSwap Volumes
We are continuing down the road of Modernization and transformation
Our system and environments to meet the ever changing needs of our business.
- RPG a Modern Business Language
- Open Source
- Web Sockets
- Zend V8.5
RPG - Free form
The RPG language continues its ever changing path toward being a 'Modern Business Language'. This has been our goal for the past several years, listening to our users and transforming the language to meet the needs of our business applications as well as the modern developers of today.
Rational Developer for i
The developer tooling for the IBM i developer continues to be updated with the latest industry enhancements and requests from our IBM i community.
- Built in 5250 emulator
- Removal of the 8-80 column restriction
- Improved free-form RPG formatting
- lots more!
IBM HTTP Server Updates
The IBM HTTP server (Powered by Apache) continues to be updated to meet the every changing Web landscape. The server has been updated to the latest 2.4.12 release level. Many new updates have been included the most exciting being WebSockets. Look for these updates in December and details can be found on the IBM i HTTP Server Product Page.
The 5733-OPS product continues to be enhanced. Option 3 will contain the GCC Compiler and Open Source development tool kit.
Zend Server V.8
The latest in PHP technology available on IBM i. Many new features have been added including a long asked for, running old and new servers in parallel.
For details see the Zend on IBM i home page.
System Access and Management
The world of managing and accessing your system continues to change and evolve.
used in our modern world
The Web Navigator continues to be updated and enhanced. With our new direction the Access Client Solutions and Web Navigator have been enhanced to work together in a more seamless manner. When you launch the Navigator from the main ACS a connection is created between the 2 interfaces. This allows you to bypass the signon screen.
Access Client Solution
Access Client Solutions continues to evolve based on the input from our many customers. This includes
- Simplified multi user deployment (Oct 2015)
- Easy access to updates from FTP site - No need for ESS (Oct 2015)
- Simplified sign on to Web Navigator - (Dec 2015)
- Run SQL Scripts (Dec 2015 )
- SQL Performance Center (Dec 2015)
To get access to the ACS Product Access Client Solution Product Page
PowerVC for i enhancements
A new release of Power Virtualization Center (PowerVC) contains multiple capabilities and enhancements for IBM i to help users to manage the cloud and virtualized environments. For more information, visit 'IBM Power Virtualization Center (PowerVC) for IBM i' Page.
Was this topic helpful?
31 January 2020