IBM Cloud Satellite now extends benchmark, financial services-level controls into any environment, providing a reliable set of security, compliance and risk management controls.
A hybrid, multicloud platform drives up to 2.5x the value of a single cloud approach  and potentially faster time to market. Application modernization is the key to unlocking that value, especially by containerizing applications to make them infrastructure agnostic and running them in either public or private environments. But the challenges are formidable — latency, data residency policies, version control and the need for end-to-end application security.
Build Fast. Securely. Anywhere.
IBM Cloud Satellite addresses these challenges by extending consistent, on-demand, fully managed cloud services that run across your on-premises, edge and public cloud environments — even those of other cloud vendors. This brings the modern architecture of public cloud to you; IBM’s catalog of PaaS services is deployed into your environment, so they are co-located with your data. The result is drastically reduced network latency, as artificial intelligence (AI), Kubernetes, database, and security services — to name a few — are operating where the data resides.
These same services can be deployed simultaneously and consistently across all environments where you create a Satellite location, which means consistent versions, consistent identity and access policies and a consistent set of developer tools, regardless of environment. This simplifies management while dramatically enhancing developer productivity. For example, in cloud workshops where IBM developers and solution architects collaborated with client DevOps teams to co-create an application, we’ve seen time-to-market slashed by 67% .
What’s new: Extend financial services-level controls into any environment
IBM Cloud Satellite now extends benchmark, financial services-level controls into any environment, so you can get a consistent set of security, compliance and risk management controls anywhere — on other clouds, on-premises or at the edge. This applies industry-leading Keep Your Own Key (KYOK) encryption via IBM Cloud Hyper Protect Services and enables consistent security audit event logging and compliance monitoring with IBM Cloud services, including the following features:
- Enable workload portability and a consistent developer experience building and running secure, compliant apps between the public cloud and distributed locations.
- Offload some of the update/management burden for security measures for distributed workloads.
- Vigorously control data movement — especially protected information — between and within your environments and IBM Cloud Satellite. Policy and access controls limit visibility and transfers.
In the near future, we will include the ability to operate regulated workloads using additional IBM Cloud services, IBM software and ISVs in distributed cloud deployments:
- Operate regulated workloads with confidence using services, software and ISVs across clouds, at the edge and on-premises with the benchmark security and compliance controls that financial institutions require.
- Use these pre-configured controls — deployed consistently across environments — to reduce compliance costs and avoid the risks associated with siloed control development.
- Take a comprehensive approach to remote access across clouds, at the edge, and on-premises — IAM, networking, configuration management, encryption and more, corresponding to local laws, NIST, FISMA and similar standards bodies.
Client success stories
Launched in March 2021, the IBM Cloud Satellite team quickly won the Red Dot: Best of the Best Award, given to design work that demonstrates very high design quality and creative performance. Already, Satellite and IBM’s PaaS portfolio of services are being leveraged in a variety of ways.
The Lumen platform and IBM Cloud Satellite can deploy data-intensive applications like video analytics across highly distributed environments, such as offices and retail spaces, and take advantage of infrastructure designed for single-digit millisecond latency. Because the application can be hosted on Red Hat OpenShift via IBM Cloud Satellite from the close proximity of a Lumen edge location, cameras and sensors can function in near real-time to help improve quality and safety. For example, cameras can detect the last time surfaces were cleaned or flag potential worker safety concerns. Additionally, customers across geographies can better address data sovereignty by deploying this processing power closer to where the data is created.
“Our enterprise customers can now extend IBM Cloud services across Lumen’s robust global network, enabling them to deploy data-heavy edge applications that demand high security and ultra-low latency. By bringing secure and open hybrid cloud capabilities to the edge, our customers can propel their businesses forward” — Paul Saville, SVP Enterprise Product Management and Services at Lumen
The University Medical Center Mainz — which provides inpatient and outpatient care to more than 350,000 people in approximately 60 clinics each year — is working with IBM to digitize clinical processes, such as facilitating the secured exchange of healthcare data and streamlining COVID-19 testing and vaccination.
The solutions have been designed and implemented by IBM within the span of several weeks by leveraging IBM’s hybrid cloud capabilities and deep industry expertise via IBM Global Business Services (GBS). With IBM Cloud Satellite, the University Medical Center Mainz can access cloud services securely and efficiently, helping them maintain their compliance with the high data protection requirements by keeping their data in their on-premises data center. The hardware and data are always under the sovereignty of the University Medical Center. This collaboration is designed to make it possible for the University Medical Center to meet their objectives as they quickly digitize processes and work to improve patient care.
- If you would like to know more about IBM Cloud Satellite, hybrid services and industry workloads, join us for “Cloud without Compromise,” an on-demand discussion with a broad array of technologists across industries.
- Stand up your next app project through our “Garage” co-creation workshop. It’s developer-to-developer, from start to finish. Try a free discovery session.
- For a self-serve experience, check out our demo on the product page.
 The right hybrid cloud strategy enables agility at scale
 Hybrid cloud solutions