Increasing efficiency of logistics

IBM is optimizing logistics operations and increasing packaging density and strength to reduce the caron dioxide (CO2) emissions generated by the transport of IBM products and their components. IBM has been an active participant of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's SmartWay® Transport Partnership since 2006.SmartWay is a voluntary initiative to improve fuel efficiency and reduce GHG emissions associated with logistics operations.

In 2017, 96 percent of IBM's spending on shipments of goods within the United States and from the U.S. to Canada and Mexico went through a SmartWay logistics provider. The remaining 4 percent are largely carriers hired for local or one-off deliveries or support at an operating facility. IBM voluntarily applies specific SmartWay requirements to our distribution operations globally.

IBM also develops product packaging that minimizes material use and package volume while optimizing package strength. This helps reduce transport-associated CO2 emissions. Please visit our Protective product packaging webpage for more information.