While evolving your cloud native journey, you may find it advantageous to avoid cloud vendor lock-in.
The following benefits can occur when your enterprise uses proprietary cloud native development tools specific for more than one cloud vendor:
- Your team members understand how to use all the major cloud offerings and developer tools and techniques.
- As a set of developers or operational teams, you can move around easier and faster between cloud environments.
- You get more opportunities to scale, evolve and expand than you would from building on one platform.
By using vendor neutrality while investing in hybrid cloud environments for cloud native development, you also get the following benefits:
- You’re protecting your organization from potential stagnation you face with vendor lock-in.
- Your team members can enjoy each cloud vendor’s proprietary capabilities, like the regulatory services and other offerings from IBM Cloud.
- You encourage your developers to stay passionate about what they’re building with for the future and create ecosystems that give you stickiness in using several platforms.
And you need that vendor neutrality to enable you to deliver solutions quickly while optimizing engineering resources that are expensive, complex to scale up and take time and energy to build. Individual teams can use the same practices and behaviors between clouds as well.
There’s one big drawback, however: Vendor neutrality can lead to integration friction among hybrid cloud environments. Thankfully, IBM has an answer for that obstacle.
Distributed cloud, IBM Cloud Satellite and cloud native development
To achieve consistency between complex cloud environments for your team, IBM is offering a distributed cloud solution called IBM Cloud Satellite. With this offering, you all get the capabilities you need for hybrid cloud and cloud native development management, with choice and flexibility in your strategy.
IBM Cloud Satellite provides a single control plane, allowing you to manage running your workloads across the following common environments:
By proactively investing in security and compliance, IBM Cloud Satellite can prove that your distributed cloud environment can operate within your regulated industries. That provides your organization with a huge business value.
Additionally, if you’re selling or delivering business solutions, you may want to run one element on a particular style of hybrid cloud or even edge computing environment. For that breadth of choice to deploy an application to a particular geographical region or environment, you need that single control plane from IBM Cloud Satellite to give you the following services:
- Insight of what’s going on in all your cloud environments
- Flexibility to release, control and update applications
- A fast business evolution as you’re updating and managing those applications
Distributed cloud plays into your cloud native journey
If you’re representing a large enterprise, feeling competition from every angle in your industry and feeling challenged managing a detailed, complex on-premises environment, distributed cloud offers you a path forward. Distributed cloud from IBM Cloud Satellite allows you to take control of scalability for your data center. In fact, with the ability to plug IBM Cloud Satellite directly into your enterprise network, you can make that cloud environment as secure as an on-premises data center.
The next part of your journey is to scale your enterprise with your applications and migrations, with the control of IBM Cloud Satellite to give you a good view of your compliance. You get speed across your cloud platforms while complying with regulatory reporting for all industries — financial, telco, media and more. Developers can enjoy the cloud native speed and execution IBM Cloud Satellite provides, as well. The goal is for you to bring out your already innovative products faster, without being constrained by your existing IT decisions made years ago that need to evolve to a highly digital culture.
IBM Cloud Satellite also brings IBM Cloud services like managed Red Hat OpenShift on Cloud to the infrastructure of your choice.
Learn more about how IBM Cloud Satellite can benefit your cloud native development and join the ongoing beta.
Check out the following video for an intro to the solution: