Automate application refactoring with AI.

Today, only 20% of enterprise workloads are in Cloud, and they were predominately written for cloud architectures. This leaves 80% of legacy applications on-premises, waiting to be modernized for the cloud.

We know that the best way to modernize your business-critical application is to refactor it into microservices—this approach allows microservice to be independently enhanced and scaled, providing agility and improved speed of delivery. IBM’s novel AI technology automates the application refactoring with minimal risk and removes the need for any major rewrite.

Introducing IBM Mono2Micro

Application refactoring is the process of restructuring existing code without changing its external behavior and semantics. Currently, refactoring is usually done manually and is expensive, time-consuming, and error-prone.

We are excited to announce IBM Mono2Micro, which helps you accelerate this journey to cloud by automating the process of application refactoring with AI.

Mono2Micro is based on IBM Research technology that, when applied to the application code and runtime, traces reasons about application behavior, extracts the business logic, and identifies optimal microservice candidates. Microservice recommendations are automatically generated, while taking programming model and application data dependencies into account. The approach minimizes the risk of refactoring and any requirements for significant code rewrite thereby providing you with a huge ROI.

Business logic-based groupings

Mono2Micro analyzes runtime call traces in the context of the business functions they support, which exposes how classes interact, in what sequence, and at what frequency. The underlying artificial intelligence techniques—such as deep learning and machine learning—generate business logic-based class groupings of the runtime call traces to capture causality, functional similarity, and other temporal relations among classes and their methods.

Data dependency and natural seams-based grouping

Mono2Micro further augments the business logic-based groupings with data dependency analysis. It iteratively merges relevant groupings of classes with data dependencies to generate natural seams-based groupings. With these groupings, Mono2Micro minimizes the need to rewrite existing classes.

Overall, Mono2Micro provides a multifaceted view of your monolith-to-microservice refactoring. It can help you understand and arrive at informed and assured decisions on transforming your current applications.

Next steps

Learn more about Mono2Micro and modernizing your applications:

More from Artificial intelligence

A new era in BI: Overcoming low adoption to make smart decisions accessible for all

5 min read - Organizations today are both empowered and overwhelmed by data. This paradox lies at the heart of modern business strategy: while there's an unprecedented amount of data available, unlocking actionable insights requires more than access to numbers. The push to enhance productivity, use resources wisely, and boost sustainability through data-driven decision-making is stronger than ever. Yet, the low adoption rates of business intelligence (BI) tools present a significant hurdle. According to Gartner, although the number of employees that use analytics and…

The power of remote engine execution for ETL/ELT data pipelines

5 min read - Business leaders risk compromising their competitive edge if they do not proactively implement generative AI (gen AI). However, businesses scaling AI face entry barriers. Organizations require reliable data for robust AI models and accurate insights, yet the current technology landscape presents unparalleled data quality challenges. According to International Data Corporation (IDC), stored data is set to increase by 250% by 2025, with data rapidly propagating on-premises and across clouds, applications and locations with compromised quality. This situation will exacerbate data silos, increase costs…

Where to begin: 3 IBM leaders offer guidance to newly appointed chief AI officers

4 min read - The number of chief artificial intelligence officers (CAIOs) has almost tripled in the last 5 years, according to LinkedIn. Companies across industries are realizing the need to integrate artificial intelligence (AI) into their core strategies from the top to avoid falling behind. These AI leaders are responsible for developing a blueprint for AI adoption and oversight both in companies and the federal government. Following a recent executive order by the Biden administration and a meteoric rise in AI adoption across…

IBM Newsletters

Get our newsletters and topic updates that deliver the latest thought leadership and insights on emerging trends.
Subscribe now More newsletters