Question & Answer
Visit CICS Explorer at ibm.com for more information including demos.
IBM recommends that you use the latest supported version of CICS Explorer and, where applicable, the latest version of any plug-ins you have installed for CICS Explorer; available from the Mainframe Developer Center (z/OS Explorer and CICS Tools plug-in downloads page) along with further details on the CICS Explorer download page. Simply follow the download instructions appropriate to your current installation environment and scenario.
Copies of previous releases of CICS Explorer and plug-ins for CICS Explorer are available from the CICS Explorer downloads for older releases of CICS Explorer download page. If you need to determine which release of a plug-in for CICS Explorer works with which release of CICS Explorer, see the CICS Explorer and CICS tools plug-ins release compatibility reference tables.
For more information, see Getting started with IBM CICS Explorer in the CICS TS product documentation.
- z/OS Explorer and CICS Explorer are available as separately available free downloads only, and are not shipped with CICS TS. z/OS Explorer is installed alongside CICS Explorer and forms the foundation of CICS Explorer. This architecture was implemented from release 5.1 onwards.
- Always read the supplied CICS Explorer release notes and CICS Explorer Readme document as they contain important information, such as prerequisites.
After installation, you must configure the CICS Explorer connections to your CICS or CICSPlex SM (CPSM) systems.
There are two types of connections you can use:
- CICSPlex SM Data Interface for a read-only connection to a CICS TS V4 (or later).
- CICS management client interface (CMCI) for a connection to a CICS TS V4 (or later) CPSM Web User Interface (WUI), or a single CICS region with update capability.
If you want to update any MAS or CICSplex using a CMCI connection, you will need to be running CPSM V4 (or later) agent code in the MAS and be connected to a CICS TS V4 (or later) WUI.
For more information, refer to sections Configuring a system connection and Setting up CMCI with CICSPlex SM in the CICS TS product documentation.
IBM provides updates to CICS Explorer on a regular basis. The most up-to-date release of CICS Explorer is always available from the Mainframe Developer Center (z/OS Explorer and CICS Tools plug-in downloads page) along with further details on the CICS Explorer download page. If you have an earlier release of CICS Explorer and want to update it to a newer version, then follow the download instructions appropriate to your current installation environment and scenario.
If you have an earlier release of CICS Explorer and want to acquire another copy of that release, then visit the CICS Explorer downloads for older releases of CICS Explorer download page.
If you need to determine which release of a CICS tools plug-in for CICS Explorer works with which release of CICS Explorer, see the CICS Explorer and CICS tools plug-ins release compatibility reference tables.
- IBM recommends that anytime you upgrade the CICS Explorer that you take a backup of your CICS Explorer workspace.
- z/OS Explorer and CICS Explorer are fully supported by IBM. For more information on service and support, see Ordering maintenance for the IBM Explorer for z/OS, IBM CICS Explorer, and CICS Explorer plug-ins.
- If you upgrade from CICS Explorer 5.1.0 or earlier to CICS Explorer 5.1.1 or later, perspective layout customizations will not be preserved. This is because of the way that perspective layout customizations are stored, which has changed between Eclipse 3.6.2 (for CICS Explorer 5.1.0) and Eclipse 4.2.2 (for CICS Explorer 5.1.1).
The CICS Explorer forum enables you to interact other users and with the CICS Explorer development team about questions and problems related to the CICS Explorer. Use this forum to better understand the CICS Explorer, to debug problems, to make requests, and to get answers. This forum is moderated by CICS Explorer architects, developers, and testers.
To find out more about the CICS Explorer see FAQs on the CICS Explorer forum.
IBM would like to hear your views about the CICS Explorer and what you would like to see it deliver in future versions. You can post a question or suggestion on dW Answers. To submit a more official enhancement request to IBM, see How to submit and vote up a CICS RFE - request for enhancement.
Products that support CICS Explorer
The following IBM products support CICS Explorer:
- IBM CICS Transaction Server for z/OS
- IBM CICS Transaction Server for z/VSE V2.2
- IBM CICS Configuration Manager for z/OS
- IBM CICS Deployment Assistant for z/OS
- IBM CICS Interdependency Analyzer for z/OS
- IBM CICS Performance Analyzer for z/OS
- CICS Transaction Gateway
- IBM Application Performance Analyzer for z/OS
- IBM Debug for z/OS
- IBM Fault Analyzer for z/OS
- IBM File Manager for z/OS
- IMS Enterprise Suite
- IBM Developer for z/OS
- IBM Workload Simulator for z/OS and OS/390
CICS/TS CICS TS CICS Transaction Server
11 June 2020