IBM takes your personal data protection seriously and respects local data protection laws.
1. What personal data will IBM process about you?
Personal data you provide, which may include:
- your first name and last name, address, email address, phone number(s), education history, work experience, CV, resume, information about your primary country of residence and citizenship, additional countries of interest, country you are applying to and the eligibility to work there, areas and communities of interest;
- whether you have ever worked for IBM or an IBM Business Partner, whether you have any government experience and if you signed any or accepted any agreement or are otherwise subject to any restriction with your current or former employers;
- depending on the country, criminal records information, observing the applicable laws and where an offer of employment has been made to you;
- depending on the country you are applying your disability, ethnicity, gender, race and religion.
- whether you require any accommodations/adjustments
You will receive more information about the nature of the pre-employment verification checks before they begin.
Personal data processed during the recruitment process, although it will vary by the country and nature of the role for which you will be considered, which may include:
- Any cover letter or personal statement you provide;
- Any references you provide, or IBM takes up to validate the information you’ve provided;
- Any interviewer or recruiter notes from their interactions with you or with the IBM employee that recommended you;
- If during the recruitment process you complete a video enabled assessment, we may store the video recordings of the assessment;
- If during the recruitment process you complete a coding assessment, we will record and store any code created in response to the given exercises. Additionally, we will store one or more webcam photos of you completing the exercises and;
- Any other information you give us.
Personal data processed if you receive and accept an IBM offer of employment, such as your email address, first name, middle name, last name and IBM employee serial number may be used from the date of offer acceptance.
2. For what purposes IBM will process your personal data?
In response to your application or your interest about job positions, your information will be used by IBM as necessary to:
- Verify your information and conduct relevant and appropriate legally permitted pre-employment and eligibility verification checks, as well as to assess your skills, qualifications and experience;
- Comply with local, national or international laws, obligations and legal requirements;
- Communicate with you about IBM events, new jobs and careers opportunities and the recruitment process including any interviews;
- Complete the selection process;
- Conduct surveys and research activities with the objective of improving IBM’s recruiting process;
- Perform analysis of our applicant pool in order to better understand who is applying to positions at IBM and how to attract top talent;
- Where legally permissible, we may ask you to voluntarily disclose your disability, ethnicity, gender and nationality, to help IBM with its Diversity and Inclusion programs (such as to assess the IBM workforce, promote benefits and inclusive policies for the related population);
- Enable you to access the IBM On Boarding site and the Your Learning application which may help you to become familiar with the company, understand where and how you fit into the organizational structure and assist with your integration into the culture of the workplace.
By submitting your application, you authorize IBM to store your personal data in IBM’s Recruitment tools for the secure storage of your data whilst your application is assessed and otherwise as set out above.
3. For how long will we retain your personal data?
If you are given and accept an offer of employment by IBM, personal data collected during your pre-employment period may become part of your IBM personnel records, to be retained throughout and for a period after your employment with IBM (specific periods vary by country).
If IBM does not employ you, IBM will retain your personal information according to IBM’s document retention policy after which your personal information will be erased from IBM’s Recruitment Tools.
4. With whom and why we share your personal data?
Your information will be accessed only by IBM internal recruiters, Talent Acquisition focals, hiring managers, potential managers in the hiring organization and the associated technical and human resources supporting staff, as relevant and necessary for your application.
In some cases, IBM shares your personal data with third parties if legally required or allowed, to achieve the purposes informed above. Depending on the geography, these third parties are suppliers of Human Resource Information Systems, used by IBM, as well as suppliers related to occupational health and safety management services systems.
Your information may be accessed by government officials where legal reporting requirements may exist, or law enforcement agencies or private litigants in response to valid law enforcement process (warrant, subpoena, or court order).
If your prospective management line is out of the country, we may transfer your personal information from the country to which you applied to other people within the same business line in one or more IBM entities in other countries as applicable for the purpose of processing your application, ensuring that your data is processed according to local laws and IBM requirements and helping us to understand your experience with IBM's application process. Information on how IBM ensures an adequate level of data protection in such countries can be found at https://www.ibm.com/privacy/us/en/. Details on how IBM protects your personal data using its Controller Binding Corporate Rules, can be found here.
5. Your rights
Information regarding your rights can be found in the section “Your Rights” at https://www.ibm.com/privacy.
You may also access and correct personal information you have submitted regarding your application online by logging into the IBM Careers portal.
Please be aware that depending on the circumstances, if you request us to delete or otherwise stop processing your personal information, we may not be able to proceed with your application, as it may depend on the analysis of such personal information.
More information on how IBM handles your privacy, such as the Controller of your personal data, questions and complaints and how to contact us can be found at https://www.ibm.com/privacy and https://www.ibm.com/privacy/details/us/en/.
Declaration and confirmation:
You declare and confirm that the information you have provided as part of your application is true and complete. You must promptly update any information you have provided as and when there are changes.
You understand that any misrepresentation or deliberate omission of fact may lead to IBM’s termination of your employment or consideration for employment.
We may change this policy from time to time. We will post any changes to this policy on this page. Last updated: 30 October 2020
CANADIAN RESIDENTS: IBM is committed to compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Accessibility for Manitobans Act (AMA), and the Ontario Human Rights Code in the recruitment process.
HUNGARIAN RESIDENTS: PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION PURSUANT TO HUNGARIAN LEGISLATION
We draw your attention that you can submit your claims on data handling which will be investigated and remedied as soon as possible but not later than 1 month. In case of a breach in your personal data, you can submit a claim to the National Authority for Data Protection and Freedom of Information (www.naih.hu) according to section 22 of the Act CXII of 2011 on the Right of Informational Self-Determination and on Freedom of Information. Also, in case of breach you are entitled to claim reimbursement according to the Hungarian Civil Code. In case of such request we provide you detailed information about the remedy options.
You are further advised that your ID and password will be deleted twelve months from the time your application process concludes or the last time you had access to this tool.
By applying to the specific position and/or sharing your CV with us, you are hereby confirming to be informed about and explicitly accepting the above terms.
BULGARIAN RESIDENTS: CONSENT FOR RETENTION OF PERSONAL DATA
ACCORDING TO THE BULGARIAN DATA PROTECTION ACT ART. 25 J PAR. 1
I agree IBM, to retain my personal data for 2 (two) years. I am aware that I am entitled to request any time information and to request correction or deletion of the personal data in accordance with the applicable legislation via: firstname.lastname@example.org. In case of violation of my rights in regard the protection of personal data I have right to submit a claim at the competent Bulgarian Commission for Protection of Personal Data - www.cpdp.bg.