The way some providers seem to describe it, cloud transformation is easy. All companies must do is migrate all workloads to one cloud, modernize their applications and enjoy the full benefits of the digital transformation.
Of course, if it were really so easy, the majority of businesses would already have done it.
The reality, though, is that an IBM-commissioned study by McKinsey & Company shows that most enterprises are only 20 percent of the way into their cloud journeys. The simplest workloads are in the process of migration, but according to the study, the remaining 80 percent of workloads are still on-premises. Why?
To get through the next 80 percent of the cloud journey, teams should manage complexities that the basic cloud model doesn’t address. This means tackling three major challenges:
1. Unique workload needs.
Crucial issues such as security, compliance and location mean that many enterprises can’t simply move data or workloads into the public cloud.
Open technology standards have benefits, including the ability to choose from more vendors while still having a high level of interoperability. Open source schemas can provide companies the flexibility to adapt quickly to changing business needs. IBM Cloud is built on open standards, with a choice of many cloud models: public, dedicated, private and managed, so you can run the right workload on the right cloud model without vendor lock-in.
For example, a financial organization can keep its most sensitive customer information on-premises, its marketing data on a separate public cloud vendor and a key cloud-native application on the IBM Cloud, with reliable security and integration between all three. Having these options can help accommodate unique security or compliance needs.
2. Multiple clouds and vendors.
According to the McKinsey & Company study, 94 percent of enterprises surveyed rely on multiple cloud providers to accomplish their business goals. We are living in a multicloud world. Enterprises need help managing some of the challenges that come from this reality.
Multicloud management solutions can provide full visibility and control across a company’s preferred mix of cloud vendors and models. IBM provides hybrid integration to connect all enterprise clouds with their existing applications and workloads, in the cloud or on-premises. Additionally, IBM creates its solutions with an understanding that many clients rely on some solutions outside of IBM.
3. Lack of relevant skills.
Some clients may not have the in-house expertise to take on issues such as application modernization.
IBM specialists are available to help companies master their cloud journeys. Our teams have a deep understanding of various industries and a history of helping enterprises prioritize and modernize what matters most, so that companies can move more to the cloud.
IBM has built its cloud strategy around meeting enterprises where they are in their cloud journeys. The solution is an open, multicloud approach that provides flexibility, agility and deep industry expertise without sacrificing rigorous security.
Learn more about IBM, Red Hat and how to help your organization achieve cloud transformation by visiting the official website.