Question & Answer
Where can I get support for the AIX Toolbox for Linux® Applications:
- Installing RPM Packages
- Configuring or running the applications
RPM packages from the AIX Toolbox for Linux® Applications site are not supported through AIX support; however, assistance with installing or configuring those packages is available through the "AIX Open Source Software Forum", in the IBM Community
The AIX Open Source Software Forum can assist with:
- Possible defects found in a Toolbox RPM Package
- Understanding error messages from attempts to install or configure a Toolbox RPM Package
- Security Vulnerabilities found in the Toolbox RPM Package
- Dependency issues with an rpm package off the AIX Toolbox for Linux® Applications
- Dependency example:
- If the rpm packages you need help with come from "non-IBM Toolbox" sources, you will need to contact those sources for support.
- For true expertise in usage of each package, you can consult the open source community for each respective package project.
Who should engage the AIX Open Source Team?
- IBM product teams (for example, Db2, WebSphere, etc.) and other third-party product teams should engage the AIX Open Source Team directly to help fix any dependency problems. These products might have certain RPM dependencies, so collaboration between software product teams and the AIX Open Source Team is essential to keeping the dependencies current.
- Users who are downloading and installing Toolbox RPMS should search the forum, or open a discussion with the AIX Open Source Team if they cannot find the answer in existing threads.
- If the issue is due to dependencies installing a package required by a supported IBM product, users may need to engage that software product support to ensure they are downloading the correct packages.
A) For all questions or issues with Toolbox packages, the support is handled by the AIX Open Source Team in the forum: https://community.ibm.com/community/user/power/communities/community-home?CommunityKey=10c1d831-47ee-4d92-a138-b03f7896f7c9
** Cases opened to address Toolbox problems will be canceled and users will be referred to the Open Source Forum.
B) If there is a problem with installing rpm.rte, or executing the rpm binary file, open an AIX Case (See the following C section) for assistance.
Examples of rpm.rte issues supported through AIX Support:
Example of an rpm.rte rpm loading issue:
C) Opening an AIX Support Case
If additional assistance is required due to issues with rpm.rte file set (see preceding B section), use the following step-by-step instructions to contact IBM to open a case for software with an active and valid support contract.
1. Document (or collect screen captures of) all symptoms, errors, and messages related to your issue.
2. Capture any logs or data relevant to the situation.
3. Contact IBM to open a case:
21 September 2020