SystemAdmin
47293 Posts

Pinned topic Removing a baseline that has been delivered

‏2012-11-28T15:25:33Z |
Hi All
The following errors occur when i try to remove a delivered baseline
Error removing the baseline:
cleartool rmbl -f deliverbl.8860U_4.1_dev_20121115_110551@\METRO_PVOB
cleartool: Error: Cannot remove baseline that has been delivered.
cleartool: Error: Unable to remove baseline
"deliverbl.8860U_4.1_dev_20121115_110551@\METRO_PVOB".
how to remove the baseline?
Thanks
Best wishes
ken
Updated on 2012-11-30T11:15:41Z at 2012-11-30T11:15:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • brcowan
    brcowan
    748 Posts

Re: Removing a baseline that has been delivered

‏2012-11-28T16:35:37Z  
    I'm sorry, but there is no supported way short of removing the Project VOB to remove that baseline.

It appears that this is not a documented limitation of the rmbl command. It mentions that the baseline cannot be involved in an in-progress deliver, but not that a delivered baseline cannot be removed either.

This does throw a monkey wrench in some things. Specifically, no project that has EVER had a completed deliver operation can be removed. This is because:
    1) To remove a project, all the streams have to be removed.
    2) To remove a stream, all baselines created in that stream must be removed.

Since "delivered" baselines (and all "deliverbl" baselines are delivered ones) cannot be removed, the developer streams they were created in are irremovable as well. Thus projects cannot be removed.
    =================================================================
    Brian Cowan
    Advisory Software Engineer
    ClearCase Software Advisory Team (SWAT)
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

Phone: 1.978.899.5436
    Web: http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/support/
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts

‏2012-11-28T17:58:03Z  
    A deliverbl baseline can be removed if it is the most recent baseline on the stream. As Brian says - it is not officially supported. But if you use UCM fulltime eventually you'll need to do this. There is an Integrate hlink that has to be removed first. IBM Rational Tech Support can give you a tool to do this if you are in a real jam. Bruce Files.
  • jeff98air
    jeff98air
    817 Posts

‏2012-11-28T20:50:34Z  
    A deliverbl baseline can be removed if it is the most recent baseline on the stream. As Brian says - it is not officially supported. But if you use UCM fulltime eventually you'll need to do this. There is an Integrate hlink that has to be removed first. IBM Rational Tech Support can give you a tool to do this if you are in a real jam. Bruce Files.
    OP, not sure what your specific situation is for needing to remove deliverbls, but I do it occasionally whenever I need to "backout" a recent delivery from a stream that will need to be redelivered later.

Disclaimer: As Brian stated, it is not supported by IBM Rational, but I have done this for many years without encountering any ill-effects. Still, there's always a non-zero risk.

Assuming that the delivery to backout is the most recent from the dev stream and the corresponding deliver activity on the integ stream has not yet been included in a baseline, here's how I do it:

1. Remove the versions in the change set of the deliver activity on the integ stream (cleartool rmver -xhl).

2. Remove the deliver activity from the integ stream (cleartool rmact).

3. List all baselines created on the dev stream to identify the desired deliverbls to remove (cleartool lsbl -s -stream). Note that if you use a composite baseline, it must be removed first.

4. Describe each deliverbl to get the name of the "Integrate" hlink (cleartool desc -l baseline:deliverbl...)

5. Remove the "Integrate" hlink using the extended name (cleartool rmhlink Integrate@33123@/your/pvob).

6. Now you can remove the deliverbl (cleartool rmbl).

7. Repeat steps 4-6 for each deliverbl (one for each modified component) associated to the delivery.

-Jeff Ng
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47293 Posts

‏2012-11-30T11:15:41Z  
    • jeff98air
    • ‏2012-11-28T20:50:34Z
    OP, not sure what your specific situation is for needing to remove deliverbls, but I do it occasionally whenever I need to "backout" a recent delivery from a stream that will need to be redelivered later.

Disclaimer: As Brian stated, it is not supported by IBM Rational, but I have done this for many years without encountering any ill-effects. Still, there's always a non-zero risk.

Assuming that the delivery to backout is the most recent from the dev stream and the corresponding deliver activity on the integ stream has not yet been included in a baseline, here's how I do it:

1. Remove the versions in the change set of the deliver activity on the integ stream (cleartool rmver -xhl).

2. Remove the deliver activity from the integ stream (cleartool rmact).

3. List all baselines created on the dev stream to identify the desired deliverbls to remove (cleartool lsbl -s -stream). Note that if you use a composite baseline, it must be removed first.

4. Describe each deliverbl to get the name of the "Integrate" hlink (cleartool desc -l baseline:deliverbl...)

5. Remove the "Integrate" hlink using the extended name (cleartool rmhlink Integrate@33123@/your/pvob).

6. Now you can remove the deliverbl (cleartool rmbl).

7. Repeat steps 4-6 for each deliverbl (one for each modified component) associated to the delivery.

-Jeff Ng
    Thanks a lot,with your help i have removes the baseline successfully.It's Really great for removing the baseline.
    At last thanks for the answers of all,thanks again for jeff98air.