Buy a book... get 50% off a certification exam! We only have a limited number of vouchers, so we're expecting to run out quickly. Be one of the first to get a voucher by buying a copy of the IBM DB2 9 New Features by Paul Zikopoulos, George Baklarz, Leon Katsnelson, and Chris Eaton. You don't need to buy the book from amazon, but you do need to send us proof of purchase.
Normally exams cost about $150 ... so this is a savings of $75. For full details, read: ibm.com/software/data/education/voucher.html
The developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this blog will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
Keep on Learning
From archive: March 2007 X
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,426 Views
I work out of the IBM Toronto Software Lab. This year the lab celebrates 40 years of operation! An article where the first lab director is interviewed, was recently published in the itbusiness.ca newsletter.
Our current office is 6 years old, is state of the art with wireless available through out the building, and is home to 2500 people, all in the software creation business. The lab may be known for its work on the Linux, Unix, and Windows version of DB2, but there are also people working on Tivoli, WebSphere, Rational, and Lotus. This covers all 5 major brands of software that is produced by IBM Software Group! Beyond these 5 brands, there are also quite a few additional areas that are worked on, but I’m not qualified to even mention them!
I've worked for IBM for 18 years now... most of them in the lab. Very enjoyable! Time flies!
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,083 Views
IBM's new Dynamic Warehousing initiative was recently unveiled. IBM is the first to fully understand and define this next generation of data warehousing. Only IBM can deliver all of the Dynamic Warehousing capabilities with a product portfolio that is best in class. Read the Dynamic Warehousing press release for details on the announcement.
The announcement included:
* An introduction of the IBM Balanced Warehouse portfolio. The IBM Balanced Warehouse is the complete data warehousing solution comprised of pre-tested, scalable and fully-integrated system components of DB2 Warehouse, Server and Storage.
* A new version of DB2 Warehouse that integrates and simplifies the data warehouse environment to deliver dynamic warehousing. With a single integrated software package, IBM delivers all of the capabilities needed to cost effectively consolidate, manage, deliver and analyze your business information.
* OmniFind Analytics Edition. IBM OmniFind Analytics Edition provides a rich analysis interface for both structured data and unstructured content. It can be delivered as a customized business solution via an engagement with Software Group Lab Services or Global Business Services. Read the OmniFind analytics press release for details on this announcement.
* Warehousing for SMB software which is based on years of experience and best practices gained in developing and implementing data warehouses in enterprise environments.
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,542 Views
DB2 Magazine's collection of electronic books as grown with the addition of THE COOL FACTOR: Modern developments stomp the mainframe-as-dinosaur myth for good, written by DB2 Magazine columnist Robert Catterall. DB2 Magazine columnist Robert Catterall explains what many companies already know: the mainframe is a great platform for the most modern IT initiatives, including those that use service-oriented architectures, XML, J2EE applications, XML, and more. Download this new e-book to find out how your mainframe skills bring value to the latest technology projects.
Other e-books that can be found on the site include:
* XML FOR JAVA DEVELOPERSDB2 9 introduced powerful XML management capabilities. Download this new e-book from DB2 Magazine to find out how the techniques you use every day can help you put that power to work. You'll learn XML programming tips for Java developers, see detailed Java application examples, and get a recap of all the new features and functions that ease Java development.
* TAKING AIM AT PERFORMANCE PROBLEMSStop wasting time on hit-or-miss tuning exercises. Event monitors and snapshots show you exactly where to point your efforts.
* SPOTLIGHT ON XMLDB2 9's "pureXML" technology introduces powerful XML management capabilities. Here's how to use the skills you already have to put that power to work.
* APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT OPTIONS: PERL, PHP, AND REXXWhen it comes to Development, DB2 is open to all options. IBM's commitment to open, standards-based interfaces and its support for a range of tools mean that developers can build DB2 applications with the tools and programming languages they like.
This special e-book presents DB2-specific code, tips, and techniques for working with three increasingly popular choices: Perl, PHP and Rexx.
* DEVELOPING DB2 APPLICATIONS: THE PLATFORM CHOICE IS YOURSWhen it comes to application development, Java junkies and .Net devotees may never see eye to eye. If they're developing for DB2, they don’t have to. DB2 UDB v.8.2 shipped earlier this year with something for every developer, regardless of platform preference. This must-read e-book highlights the latest in DB2 application development, with platform-specific examples, expert guidance, and more.
* BRIDGING THE ISLANDSNow you can connect Informix data with other corporate information. The result? An impressive enterprise view.
* DB2 UDB THE AUTONOMIC COMPUTING ADVANTAGEGetting the most from today's complex database systems is a challenge. Learn how self-managing capabilities in DB2 UDB v.8.2 do some of the work for you.
* THE BIG LEAGUESIn this special e-book for Informix customers, you'll read how businesses are using the new release of Informix Dynamic Server, how Informix technology is finding its niche in the IBM world, and what IBM's Janet Perna says about the future of Informix at IBM.
* THE PERFORMANCE DIARIESThis special e-book, compiled from three installments of Robert Catterall’s popular DB2 DBA column, brings you all the instructions you'll need to find these details and put them to use in your tuning efforts.
* OPEN THE THROTTLE: Tuning DB2 UDB v.8.1In this three-part series, database performance engineer Roger E. Sanders explains the seven tuning rules every DBA should know and gives a platform-specific guide to getting the best performance from your DB2 UDB implementation. Portable e-book format!
* ON DEMAND: Real Companies, Real BenefitsA special editorial section for CEOs, CTOs, technology-focused executives and managers, and anyone interested in IBM's on-demand concept. These brief articles showcase real companies reaping real benefits from the information-on-demand approach — an infrastructure for getting the right information to the right person at the exact moment it's needed.
I hope you find a topic that is useful to you!
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,122 Views
IBM executive Sandy Carter has published the newest book about SOA, and it is a must read for everyone: The New Language of Business: SOA & Web 2.0.
About the book:
There is now a direct, provable link between an organization’s flexibility and business performance. To optimize flexibility, companies must achieve unprecedented levels of integration and automation of key processes and infrastructure, both internally and externally. At the same time, they must learn to manage their processes far more dynamically and responsively.
They must become flex-pon-sive*.
Until recently, technology stood in the way of achieving these goals. Thanks to the emergence of service oriented architecture (SOA), Web 2.0, and open standards, technology now enables companies to achieve those goals. In The New Language of Business, one of IBM’s top SOA strategist demonstrates how business leaders can use innovations in technology to drive dramatic process improvements and support accelerating change.
Sandy Carter shows how to deconstruct your business into a “componentized” business model, then support that model with linked, repeatable IT services that can adapt quickly, easily, and economically. These techniques will help both IT professionals and business leaders reach new levels of operational excellence to deliver the market-focused innovations that matter most.
Order the book from IBM Press for a limited promotion: Enter the coupon code: CARTER654X during the checkout process to receive 35% off the list price, plus free shipping in the U.S.
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,362 Views
IBM invests heavily in the college / university area to introduce students to open standards, open source and IBM resources. The IBM Academic Initiative website is the ultimate source of the programs that are available to faculty, including access to free software, free books, the ability to download all the available IBM technology and courseware, remote access to certain hardware systems, participation in technical webcasts, electronic delivery of the AI newsletter, and much more.
For students, IBM has created the IBM Student Portal to give students information about competitions, events, and even job opportunities.
For researchers, the Center for Advanced Studies (CAS) is available to strengthen the links between research communities and IBM. The main emphasis of CAS research projects is solving problems of utmost importance to software developers. However, it also entertains proposals relating to other aspects of computer science, including those involving theoretical work. CAS is continually initiating long-term projects in collaboration with other members of the research community. The results of these projects vary from research publications to prototypes and new directions for products.
As an employer, IBM regularily hires Interns and Co-ops for short term projects. I am a graduate of the co-op program from University of Waterloo, and had one of my six workterms at IBM. I highly recommend co-op programs for the work experience, money to pay down student debt, and the buiding of a network of employment contacts.
Full-time employees of IBM are encouraged to take part in volunteer work. I've personally been involved in teaching Girl Guides and Brownies how to create greeting cards using a software program, teaching middle-school kids to create a web page, teaching the "Economics of Staying in School" through the Junior Achievement organization, and helping build robotics for kids in the Excite Camp. I think in each case a child was given a unique learning experience and for those of us who like to volunteer, made us feel like we contributed in a positive way to our community.
For more information on IBM's involvement with education at all levels, see the Education site.
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,018 Views
The long awaited new certification study guide by Roger Sanders is now available for pre-order from MC Press, with a special limited discount of 35%!
Expert Preparation for IBM Exam 730
DB2 9 FundamentalsCertification Study Guide
Author: Roger E. Sanders
I love the new cover design... what do you think?[Read More]
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,269 Views
Rick Van der Lans and Klaas Brant have joined forces and are running a series of DB2 Symposiums in various locations:
* Veldhoven, Netherlands April 18-20, 2007* Bonn, Germany April 23-26, 2007* Boston MA, USA May 21-23, 2007* San Jose CA, USA November 12-14, 2007
I've met Rick and Klaas several times at IBM Gold Consultant meetings over the past several years. I met with Rick and Klaas this morning to see how I can help with the symposiums in terms of books and certifications.
Rick is also an author and has several books that may be of interest. Here is a link to the English version of his latest book: Introduction to SQL: Mastering the Relational Database Language (4th Edition)
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,050 Views
Only one month old.....check it out: InformixMag.com. Congratulations to the team that put this excellent emagazine together!
Started for the fun of it by Jean Georges Perrin, InformixMag.com is intended to bring a different tone to the Informix message. It’s still in Alpha and is expected to switch to Beta before the release of Cheetah. See sections that include a business directory, forums and *news*... Spread the word! Susan[Read More]
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,149 Views
ConferencesEuropean Information Management Technical Conference (Dusseldorf, Germany) May 21-25 This is the information management event for business and IT executives, managers, professionals, DBAs and developers. With over 200 technical sessions across 11 tracks, it’s a great opportunity to get the best in technical education and free certification, as well as gaining access and exposure to the full spectrum of IBM Information technologies and experts.
Mark your calendars for IDUG 2007 - Europe in Athens Hilton, Athens, Greece 5 - 9 November 2007. In an effort to make justifying your attendance at next year's conference a little easier, IDUG has assembled a Justification Toolkit to assist you in gaining approval to attend. Be sure to continue to visit our web site often over the next few months as the most up-to-date information will be made available.
Instructor-Led EducationBoost your skills and get the most from your data by learning the new features of DB2 9 with Information Management professional training courses. Choose from some of the most competitively priced courses including: CF03-DB2 Family Fundamentals, CF20-DB2 Database Administration Workshop for Linux, CF21-DB2 Database Administration Workshop for UNIX and CF23-DB2 Database Administration Workshop for Windows. To locate a class in your area choose the Training Quick Finder tab on the Information Management Training and Certification Web site. Be sure to explore the site to take advantage of additional learning options at a low cost to you such as Redbooks, DB2 Gaming, technical papers and self-study tutorials.
BookstoreSee the link to the Pearson European bookstore that offers a 35% discount on all IBM Press books, no shipping or duty charges for deliver within Europe, and payment in Euros. Visit our international site for more information as well.
If there are other events that I haven't posted, please let me know.....
These days it seems that most DBAs are in the position where they need to know multiple database products. I know that in many cases that means a non-IBM database such as SQL Server or Oracle, in addition to one of IBM's database products, but for many DBAs, the reality is multiple IBM products. I've attempted to pull together useful information for DBAs who are in this position.
Zone: DBA Central Products: DB2 Family
DB2 9 for Linux, UNIX, WindowsDB2 9 for Linux, Unix and Windows is a hybrid data server for both XML and relational data that is enabled for SOA and optimized for SAP.Viper: DB2 9 for Linux, UNIX, Windows DB2 podcast series: Voice of the Community Recommended reading list: DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows database administrationCerts, Education, Books, Tutorials: Education ResourcesRedbook: DB2 9 pureXML GuideRetail book: IBM DB2 9 New FeaturesRetail book: Understanding DB2 9 Security
DB2 9 z/OSUse DB2 on the mainframe to run powerful enterprise applications, and make e-commerce a reality.Products: DB2 for z/OS and OS/390 Redbook: Data Integrity with DB2 for z/OSLaunch page: DB2 for z/OSTool site: DB2 and IMS Blog: Willie Favero'sMost resources coming soon... Certs, Education, Books, Tutorials: Education Resources
IDSExceptional, low maintenance online transaction processing (OLTP) data server for enterprise and workgroup computing.Zone: IBM Informix Launch site: IDS Cheetah Blog: Cheetah ExpertsWebcast: Integrated Data Solutions for Information On Demand using IBM Informix Cheetah Article: How to go hand-in-hand with DB2 and InformixRedbook: Informix Dynamic Server V10 . . . Extended Functionality for Modern BusinessTest Run: IDS CheetahChat with the Lab Series: IDSMost resources coming soon... Certs, Education, Books, Tutorials: Education Resources
Oracle or SQL ServerConsider switching... it's easy with these resources:Redbook: Oracle to DB2 UDB Conversion Guide Redbook: Microsoft SQL Server to IBM DB2 UDB Conversion GuideZone: Porting to DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows Station: Migration
Last Tuesday, IBM announced the availability of DB2 9 for z/OS and the reception has been red hot!
From the press release: DB2 9 promises to provide users of System z with advanced security, superior data compression, enhanced disaster recovery and reduced system administration costs. DB2 9 for z/OS brings advancements to the mainframe that include patented pureXML™ technology as well as the ability to manage both relational and XML information within the same database.
Related to this, the newest V9 certifications are arriving:
DB2 9 Fundamentals Exam 730 is currently available and by passing, you'll validate that you have acquired V9 skills at a database associate level. To study for this exam, I recommend the DB2 9 Fundamentals certification 730 prep series. Ensure that you are fully prepared by taking a professional certification on-line assessment exam. Roger Sanders is updating his extremely popular study guide and it will be available for purchase in May. I'll post information about the book as soon as it is available for you to pre-order.
Also coming soon is Exam 732: Database Administration for DB2 9 z/OS. Susan Lawson is working on an update to her study guide as well and hopes to have it published in July. Keep visiting my blog and I'll let you know as everything becomes available.
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,086 Views
This is an event that I don't normally attend, but many of the partners I've worked with have attended in previous years. In the past the PartnerWorld conference took place in February, I believe, so I was a bit surprised to see that this year's conference is planned for April. The conference will be held Sunday, April 29 to Wednesday, May 2 in St. Louis, Missouri.
Sam Palmisano is the keynote speaker for the event and the scheduled entertainment is ZZ Top!
The PartnerWorld Conference is the premiere event for partners and is designed to share IBM strategy, solutions and programs in innovative ways. This year more than 5500 attendees will gather to enjoy an exceptional conference experience that will focus on business management topics that help to drive results and enhanced networking opportunities that build and strengthen relationships.
To register: PartnerWorld 2007 Information and Registration
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,379 Views
In the mail today, I received an invitation to the next IDUG NA Conference that is taking place in San Jose in May. Given the recent announcement of DB2 9 for z/OS, and the close proximity to the lab that creates the product, I'm sure you'll have a chance to meet many of the developers who took part in the product's creation.
Also at the conference, Roger Sanders and Susan Lawson will be offering their pre-conference cert prep courses:
DB2 V8 for z/OS DBA Certification Crammer CourseSusan Lawson, YL&AFull-day
DB2 9 for LUW Database Administrator Certification Exam PreparationRoger E. Sanders, Network Appliance, Inc.Full-day During the conference you'll have a chance to test your skills by taking the V9 exams, free of charge. Come prepared to pass! Roger's next book will be published just in time for the conference, but Susan's will be in production, so only pre-orders will be possible.
The invitation I received today mentioned a special early bird registration rate when you register on or before March 23, 2007. Also, see the IDUG site to find out how you can win your registration fee!
I hope to see you at the conference.
svisser1 2700018UK9 4,153 Views
I don't often mention IDS in my blog, but I am waist-deep in working towards getting a book or two published for the upcoming Cheetah release. Wish me luck!!!
IDS is here to stay: You may be interested to see the direction IBM is taking with IDS...
March 14 Webcast: Integrated Data Solutions for Information On Demand using IBM IDS Cheetah
The next release of IBM Informix Dynamic Server (IDS), code-named Cheetah, makes it easier than ever to deliver SOA-enabled applications and information on demand. This Software Delivery Platform Webcast includes information about how businesses can gain advantage with the latest updates. Syed Kamal, president and CEO of Gilliani, Inc. who have been involved in the early beta program will also talk about their experiences with IDS, and how the next evolution with Cheetah gives their businesses strategic advantage. Information will be provided about how to participate in the test run program.
This Webcast airs live on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 at 11:00 a.m. ET. and will be available on demand for 9 months.