CLM has been developed to support transparent, agile development in a collaborative fashion. That was the main focus in the beginning and is designed for transparency across the stakeholders. Gradually Enterprise customers wanted to give access of the Work Items to the external world in a restricted fashion. It is just a question how to implement all that without sacrificing the benefits such as usability and performance. One way of doing this is having the reverse proxy sitting outside of the firewall. Another method is to provide customers a way to reach the server(s) e.g. by providing a VPN tunnel. Or you have to punch a hole into the firewall to be able to reach the public URI's. In this article we are trying to explain one of the ways of providing external access to CLM. (through proxy)
JKE as a product company wanted to have a mechanism to expose the CCM server to their end customers to create a new Feature into the existing products list and even wanted to keep track of the progress of the same. One CLM instance/server is exclusively allocated for the JKE internal team for their product development lifecycle (Name:-CLM). The second instance of CLM will be used to give access to the external users to isolate the production server from external world (Name:-CLMEXT). One user id will be provided for each customer with restricted access to fulfill the following conditions.
- One user id for each customer and one JKE id for the sales team
- Each customer will get access only to their specific features and its workflow.
- Only common features are accessible to all the customers.
- Sales team should be in a position to respond to the queries from the customers through pre-configured responses.
- Reverse proxy has to be configured in JKE reverse proxy server to provide access to the external customers. (Reverse proxy can be configured within CLM also.)
- Once the features are been created in CLMEXT by the customers, JKE team can validate the same and a new WI will be added manually into the CLM server. (Note:- Work items can be added to CLM server automatically using cross server communication)
- A link from the CLM WIs to CLMEXT Feature will be created and will be visible only from CLM by the JKE team.
- JKE team has to manually update the status of the progress of the new Features in CLMEXT.
The complete document can be found in Rational User Group India chapter:-