Organizations worldwide are embracing DevOps to transform their end-end development process, establishing a highly automated
z/OS® application testers lack quality tools and readily available infrastructure to quickly and comprehensively test complex multi-tier, hybrid applications. Better tools are needed for teams to apply best practices to deliver quality products to production.
Learn how IBM® solutions for automated, shift-left testing can help deliver higher quality Z-powered, hybrid applications. Benefit significantly from reduced risk and costs, and confidently deliver to production faster whether providing new capabilities or hot fixes to those mission-critical applications.
Experience test tools that will help your organization to shift left and accelerate agile testing practices for z/OS applications
Check out Enterprise Bug Busting: From testing through CI/CD to drive business results, by IBM Distinguished Engineer Rosalind Radcliffe
Organizations are transforming their development processes and achieving better business outcomes by incorporating DevOps best practices like test automation and shift-left test.
Test automation is a fundamental component of the continuous integration (CI)/continuous delivery (CD) pipeline for code build, test and deployment. Test automation uses tools that include powerful test frameworks to programmatically execute test cases as soon as code is delivered including verifying and recording results. This drives continuous testing from unit test to application integration and performance test, ensuring greater code coverage and fewer defects.
Shift-left test is a best practice in which application integration test occurs early in the
IBM has the expertise and solutions to help your organization develop a strategy to transform testing for your z/OS-powered hybrid applications.
IBM provides a set of tools to help clients test their z/OS applications and address their challenges and incorporate DevOps best practices for automated, shift-left testing in their
The z/OS Automated Unit Test Framework (ZUnit) provides the tools to automate the unit testing of z/OS programs written in the COBOL and PL/I programming languages. It is based upon the open, xunit.net framework. With ZUnit create, record, and run testcases for COBOL and PL/I programs, and provides the following benefits:
- Gain efficiencies by developing a set of repeatable test cases. Write once and automate.
- Improve code quality using a programmatic and data-driven approach to gain broader code coverage.
- Reduce complexity by removing requirements to test with a full
middlewarestack, by intercepting calls to CICS®, Db2®, and IMS.
Develop automated test cases for COBOL and PL/I applications including batch and
ZUnit is a component of IBM Developer for z/OS and z/OS Explorer.
IBM Z Virtual Test Platform (zVTP) provides a solution to shift left and perform application integration testing for z/OS applications earlier in the development cycle, and provides the following benefits:
- Reduce the cost of finding complex bugs late in the cycle by shifting left the application integration testing prior to formal code build
- Reduce complexity by removing requirements to test with a full
middlewarestack, by intercepting calls to CICS, DB2, and IMS
- Improve code quality using record and playback to thoroughly drive code paths, enabling automation.
Begin using IBM Z Virtual Test Platform.
The IBM distribution for Galasa is an open, test automation framework for the end-end, integration testing of z/OS applications that are components of larger hybrid applications. It provides the following benefits:
- Automate the testing of hybrid applications where z/OS is a component
- Scale complex, cross-platform application integration scenarios
Begin using the IBM distribution for Galasa.
IBM Development and Test environment (ZD&T) provides a z/OS sandbox on x86 hardware, deployed on a personal computer or virtual machine, or as a container on Red Hat OpenShift. and provides the following benefits:
- Accelerate product deliveries by removing barriers to accessing IBM Z® hardware for complex test scenarios
- Improve product quality by shifting left application integration testing with a full
ZD&T has the following offerings to support a variety of usage requirements: Personal Edition, Enterprise Edition, and Parallel Sysplex Edition.
IBM Virtual Dev and Test For z/OS (ZVDT) is the industry’s first and only virtual environment that runs current, genuine z/OS software
ZVDT was designed to be used for development and early test of new application functions, as well as maintenance changes. Additionally, ZVDT can also be used for:
- Unit tests, early integration, and functional tests
- Investigation and verification of new middleware levels (version-to-version upgrades)
- Prototyping new application architectures
- Demonstration of application function
- Internal employee education and training.
- Drive new software faster, with higher quality, to production:
- Shift-left testing
- Work in isolation or parallel.
- Employee education on an economical and easy-to-build environment.
- Easily test new z/OS and
middlewareversions or patches without compromising the real environment.
- Enable continuous integration and agile development methodologies for z/OS to adapt to changing business requirements easier.
Accelerate cloud native development and testing of z/OS applications with z/OS Virtual Server in IBM Cloud® Virtual Private Cloud (VPC). It’s your own protected space in the IBM Cloud with the security of a private cloud and the agility of a public cloud. Highlights include the following.
Personal z/OS Dev and Test system in your Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
- On-Demand z/OS Dev and Test system
- Stock image with pre-installed and customized software
- Near IBM zSystems Performance
- Infrastructure as a Service with flexible consumption model
Wazi Image Builder
- Create Custom images from your on-premises LPAR
- Automation to deploy in IBM Cloud
- Cloud native developer experience with Wazi Code, analyze, pipeline and testing capabilities
Wazi as a service allows for early development and testing, education, innovation and infrastructure testing.
Develop and test z/OS application components in a personal, virtual, containerized OpenShift z/OS environment. Wazi Sandbox is a component of the Z and Cloud Modernization Stack.
Wazi Sandbox creates an environment for mainframe application demonstration, development, testing, and education without Z Mainframe
hardware, enables z/OS
Create (self-service) a developer workspace on OpenShift with services needs.
Early development and test in a developer-controlled workspace using their IDE of choice.
Read more about how to get started with IBM Developer for z/OS Enterprise Edition.
Read more about how to get started with IBM Z Virtual Test Platform.
Read more about how to get started with IBM Z Development and Test Environment.
Read more about how to get started with IBM Wazi Developer.
Read more about how to get started with Galasa.
See how you can get started with the developer experience for hybrid cloud with IBM Z.
Experience tools to accelerate unit test and application integration test for your z/OS applications.
Check out Enterprise Bug Busting: From testing through CI/CD to drive business results, by IBM Distinguished Engineer Rosalind Radcliffe.
Stay current by joining the IBM automated testing community and sharing blogs, discussions, events and announcements.
Stay current with the latest IBM Z Test solution videos.
Simplify life for developers building hybrid cloud applications with a cloud native development experience for z/OS.
Build your hybrid cloud with IBM Z® for data privacy, security, cyber resiliency and speed to modernization.
A link to a free trial was added to Announcements in the Introduction section, and updates were made to the Other resources tab of the Technical resources section.
The Provision test environments tab of the How to get started section now includes information about ZD&T, ZVDT, Wazi as a Service, and Wazi Sandbox.
The transcript for the overview video has been replaced.
A link to the 3-day trial has been added to the Other resources tab of the Technical resources section.
Links to the ebook Enterprise Bug Busting were added to several places, including the Other resources tab of the Technical resources section.
Minor changes were made to the Open test framework tab of the How to get started section, and new resources were added to the Technical resources section.
Transcript added for Automating and shift-left testing z/OS hybrid applications overview video.