Migration is no longer as simple as moving your applications to a newer release of WebSphere Application Server traditional. You can assess each application to determine the best strategy for moving forward. Whether you do a full traditional WebSphere release to release migration or move a single application from a traditional WebSphere environment to Liberty in a container deployed to the cloud, we have tools to help you accomplish your goals.
Brief Overview of Application Modernization
- IBM Cloud Transformation Advisor (TA)
- Scans WebSphere Application Server traditional profiles to inventory your deployed applications.
- Analyzes applications to help move them from a WebSphere traditional profile to containerized deployments provided by Cloud Pak for Applications.
- Provides complexity ratings and development cost estimates.
- Provides options for deploying to different cloud runtimes (Open Liberty, WebSphere Liberty, and traditional WebSphere).
- Generates a customized set of deployment artifacts for the selected target runtime.
- Also evaluates applications running on Oracle WebLogic, Apache Tomcat or JBoss application servers.
- IBM WebSphere Administrative Console - Liberty readiness analysis
- Runs in the WebSphere Admin Console versions 22.214.171.124+ and 126.96.36.199+.
- Analyses selected enterprise applications and their configuration for moving to Liberty.
- Produces exportable reports that can be shared with teammates
- IBM WebSphere Migration Toolkit for Application Binaries (binary scanner)
- Command line tool to analyze applications running in a traditional WebSphere, Liberty and other competitive servers.
- Provides inventory, analysis, evaluation and configuration reports to facilitate moving an application to Liberty or to a later version of traditional WebSphere.
- The IBM Cloud Transformation Advisor is recommended to produce a full view of your application estate since it includes more comprehensive application and configuration analyses, provides important planning information, and generates customized assets and recommendations for cloud environments.
- The IBM WebSphere Administrative Console provides a quick first look towards making your applications Liberty compatible without installing additional tools. This analysis can be run from the enterprise applications view.
- The binary scanner is a good option when you only have a few applications to scan or when you do not have access to the application source code. The scanner can quickly provide insights into your applications and their configuration. It generates the same reports as those displayed in the admin console and Transformation Advisor.
- Will the application be retired or replaced within 3-5 years?
- Can you modify the applications source code?
- Is the application critical to your business?
- Does it use technologies which will require it to be upgraded before it can be moved to a new platform?
- When planning your migrations, create a cross-development-team communications mechanism so that different teams can learn from each other. When modernizing applications, coding patterns new techniques will emerge that should be shared across your teams.
- From the Transformation Advisor assessment, start with the simple applications to gain experience using the tools, develop a migration process (workflow) and running the application on Liberty.
- Focus on updating your common code shared across multiple applications either as shared libraries or packaged within the EAR files. This focus can benefit multiple applications. By moving multiple applications to the latest version of common JAR files, you can eliminate redundancy within your applications.
- WebSphere Application Migration Toolkit (WAMT) Eclipse plugin is invaluable to developers making code changes. The changes identified by WAMT match those identified in the assessments generated by Transformation Advisor and the binary scanner. If your developers do not use Eclipse, they can use the assessment reports to make code changes.
Original Publication Date
15 June 2020
28 August 2020