Question & Answer
Can you run existing and new applications for Apple iOS 8 with IBM Mobile Foundation V5.0.6.x and 6.0.x; IBM Worklight V5.0.6.x, 6.0.x, and 6.1.x; and IBM Worklight Foundation V6.2.x?
To address known issues, interim fixes are available for these products. After you apply these fixes, you must rebuild your applications. The interim fixes are available for download from IBM Fix Central.
Note: When you are applying an interim fix to Worklight Studio, verify that the interim fix is applied to all instances of Worklight Studio that are running on the same machine. Build resources are shared across Worklight Studio instances. Applying an interim fix to some instances and not others will cause inconsistencies. The fix might not be applied properly.
Note: The Mobile Test Workbench for Worklight (MTWW) V126.96.36.199 and earlier does not support iOS 8.
The interim fixes cover the following areas:
- Dojo Toolkit
- Application Center
- Worklight Application Framework (WAF)
- Known Issues
Download the latest interim fix for your product and version:
- V5.0.6: IBM Worklight Consumer Edition, IBM Worklight Enterprise Edition, IBM Mobile Foundation Consumer Edition, IBM Mobile Foundation Enterprise Edition
- V6.0.x: IBM Worklight Consumer Edition, IBM Worklight Enterprise Edition, IBM Mobile Foundation Consumer Edition, IBM Mobile Foundation Enterprise Edition
- V6.1.x: IBM Worklight Consumer Edition, IBM Worklight Enterprise Edition
- V6.2.x: IBM Worklight Foundation Consumer Edition, IBM Worklight Foundation Enterprise Edition
Upgrading the Dojo Toolkit
- V6.0.x, 6.1.x, and 6.2.x:
- Obtain the DojoLib193_iOS8_20140916.zip file from the interim fixes that you have downloaded.
- In Worklight Studio, click File > Import > Existing project. Import the DojoLib193_iOS8_20140916.zip file. A new, or fixed, Dojo Library project named dojoLib_193 is created.
- For each Worklight project that contains hybrid applications with Dojo:
- Right-click the project and go to Properties > Dojo Toolkit.
- Select dojoLib_193 from the Dojo Library Project drop-down list. See the following screen shot:
- Click OK in Properties and click Yes when you are asked whether to resolve layer files. This process updates all the pre-built layers in your existing hybrid applications.
- Build and test your application.
- Note: For V6.0, you must clear the Provide Library Resources check box when you are building for the device that runs Apple iOS 8, and when deploying to the device.
For more details about IBM Worklight V6.0 Dojo library setup, see Worklight Dojo library project setup.
- Obtain the DojoLib186_iOS8_20140916.zip file from the interim fixes that you have downloaded.
- In your V5.0.6 project, delete the content of the dojo folder, but make sure to keep the dojo folder itself in the project. See the following screen shot:
- Import the DojoLib186_iOS8_20140916.zip file. Right-click the dojo folder in the project and select Import > Archive File.
- Select the DojoLib186_iOS8_20140916.zip file that you downloaded, and make sure that the Into folder field is set to the dojo folder in your project. See the following screen shot:
- Build and run your application.
Upgrading the Application Center
- V6.0.0.x, V6.1.x, V6.2:
- Apply the Worklight Server and Worklight Studio files from interim fix that you downloaded from IBM Fix Central.
- Increase the version number when you recompile and re-sign the application center client. The application is now seen as an upgrade of the old version.
You must upgrade to the V6.2 version of the Application Center and apply the interim fix to support iOS 8. You must have Application Center at V6.2 even if you are currently on Worklight V5.0.6.x. However, you can upgrade the Application Center component only. You do not need to upgrade your other Worklight Server components. The V6.2 Application Center coexists on the same server with other versions of the Worklight Server.
To support iOS 8, upgrade your Application Center to the newest version with the following steps:
- Download Worklight Server V188.8.131.52 from Passport Advantage. The base V184.108.40.206 server is required because the server interim fix is not a full installation.
- Apply the Worklight Server and Worklight Studio files that you downloaded from IBM Fix Central for Worklight Server and Worklight Studio V220.127.116.11. The interim fix is required to build the V18.104.22.168 client.
- Install the Application Center server component with Installation Manager, which upgrades the existing Application Center database as needed.
- Build the Application Center client.
Application Center end users:
The application center client on the device does not work if the device is already upgraded to Apple iOS 8. The user must go to the application center startup page (installers.html) to download and re-install the application that has been upgraded for Apple iOS 8. For more information, see Application Center mobile client.
If the user has not installed Apple iOS 8, starting the application center client displays that an upgrade is available for the application center client and the user can upgrade from there.
Upgrading Worklight Application Framework (WAF)
- Apply the Dojo fix that is described earlier in this document.
- To ensure that projects that are created in the future contain the fix, copy the waf-dojo-layer.js file that is contained in the interim fix into the wlFrameworkLib/layers/ directory.
- Copy the waf-dojo-layer.js file to the /www/layers/ directory for each Worklight Application Framework-based application.
- Rebuild and deploy your application.
Additional known items that are corrected with the interim fixes
- Push Notification Hybrid and Native Applications might not work using Xcode 6
- Worklight Application Center mobile client does not work on Apple iOS 8
- App layout might get corrupted if launched on iPad in landscape orientation on Apple iOS 8 when the app is built using Xcode 5
- Cordova geolocation does not work when built with Xcode 6
- After a backup and restore through Apple iTunes, Apple iOS hybrid applications are corrupted and need to be reinstalled
- Studio interim fix does not work if there are other unpatched instances of Worklight Studio executed on the same machine
- Apple rejected the publication of a Worklight application for Apple iOS 8
For applications that have the connectOnStartup option disabled, failures might occur on the Apple iOS before the application connects to the Worklight Server and performs an in-app update. For these applications, you can increment the version and republish the application to the application store. When the application is published, disable the old version to make users upgrade.
17 June 2018