This technote discusses why the error,
Stale NFS File Handle errors are occurring from Solaris 10 or HP-UX NFS clients (including ClearCase servers if they use NFS to mount ClearCase data, such as from a NAS) when using Rational ClearCase.
The mvfs_log file on the view server host has errors like:
444e490e mvfs: Error: open: cleartext changed!
NFS version 4, which is the default on Solaris 10, is not working correctly with ClearCase.
Note: The use of NFS version 4 may also impact the performance of various ClearCase operations.
Resolving The Problem
- ClearCase versions 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 now support NFSv4 for AUTH_SYS on either the Solaris or HP-UX platforms. The supported versions need to be installed on the server and clients.
WORKAROUNDS (if the versions listed in the solution above cannot be applied):
1. On Solaris 10 NFS clients (including ClearCase servers if they use NFS to mount ClearCase data, such as from a NAS) change the NFS version to 3 by setting "NFS_CLIENT_VERSMAX=3" in the /etc/default/nfs file.
2. Kill any running vob_server process for the affected VOB as follows:
- cleartool umount /vob-tag from the client
- cleartool umount /vob-tag from the VOB server, if necessary
- kill the vob_server process running on the VOB server
- cleartool mount /vob-tag from the client
16 June 2018