The IBM Migration Utility Explorer provides an Eclipse developed graphical user interface to IBM Migration Utility for z/OS V4.1
IBM Migration Utility for z/OS
IBM Migration Utility for z/OS helps to preserve your investment in CA Easytrieve Classic and Plus programs. Developers can generate IBM COBOL reports from CA Easytrieve projects or continue to update existing or create new CA Easytrieve applications. Converted programs can be run and maintained as either COBOL or Easytrieve programs without having to install CA Easytrieve products, as source code is maintained in the original library. The Report Modernization Utility (RMU) easily converts mainframe printer files to HTML and CSV files without modifying the originating program.
Migration Utility for z/OS helps to facilitate a smooth migration from Easytrieve programs from CA Technologies:
- Modernize existing CA Easytrieve programs with easily generated HTML reports or character-separated values (.CSV), which can be automatically deployed to the web server.
- Process batch-convert programs more efficiently with automatic conversion and parallel testing.
- Convert mainframe printer files to HTML and .CSV files without modifying the originating program.
- Improve performance with enhanced Dynamic SQL options in addition to reduced CPU and memory usage.
- Work with supported file types: VSAM, QSAM, SAM, DB2 (Native and CA Easytrieve SQL syntax and Dynamic SQL mode), IDMS, IMS™ (DL1), tape files and unit record devices.
IBM Migration Utility Explorer V2.1
The IBM Migration Utility Explorer is a stand-alone Eclipse-based IDE (Editor) environment that gives workstation users the capability to create, edit, and syntax check IBM Migration Utility programs.
Work on mainframe tasks from your PC workstation, reducing the use of mainframe resources.
Before submitting a job on the mainframe you can now edit and syntax check your program and then submit the job to run on your z/OS mainframe. Compare files to review changes based on time stamp or content.
Benefits of using the IBM Migration Utility Explorer:
- Multiple editor screens in GUI Mode where each edited program is a full screen
- Real time syntax checking while in edit mode and the ability to view errors on each line in error; eliminates submitting jobs which would fail later
- Real time help with GUI display
- Full use of mouse capabilities and screen scrolling
- User friendly FTP capabilities
- Work is done on Client workstation reducing ISPF resources on z/OS
- Automatic Archiving
- Numerous dialogs aid the programmer in doing the work
- Submit jobs to run on z/OS
- The IBM Migration Utility Explorer download contains a version for 32 bit Java and 64 bit Java.
For more comprehensive details on using the IBM Migration Utility Explorer please see the following documentation located under Help -> Help Contents, once you have completed your installation and started the IBM Migration Utility Explorer.
What is new in IBM Migration Utility Explorer V2.1:
- The work folder format of IMU Explorer V2.1 is different from the work folder format of IMU Explorer V1.1. Work folders formatted by IMU Explorer V2.1 are not compatible with the work folders formatted by IMU Explorer V1.1.
- %work% tag has been implemented to represent the work folder path. This was needed to make history files transparent of the actual work folder location.
- UserProfiles directory has been added to the install(%home%) folder. FTPprofiles, GlobalTemplates and Font Preferences are no longer in the work folder History directory. They are placed in the UserProfiles directory the first time you initialize IMU Explorer V2.1.
This makes a single copy of FTPprofiles, GlobalTemplates and Font Preferences available to all work folders. Any change to FTP Profiles, GlobalTemplates and Font Preferences will be reflected across the board.
- Archive files naming conventions have been changed from one (1) digit sequence to four (4) digit sequence number. For example: . . .\testpgm1.ezt.0 is now . . .\testpgm1.ezt.0000.
- A Toolbar has been added below the Menu bar on Home Screen and Editor screens. Buttons for easy screen navigation have been added to the toolbar.
- Windows button has been added to the Menu bar for easy navigation.
- IMU Explorer internals have been changed to use multi-threading. Now you can initiate an FTP transfer and do other IMU Explorer GUI work while an FTP transfer is in progress.
- Easytrieve Plus syntax check has been enhanced. Several problems were corrected.
- Assist Mode has been implemented for Easytrieve Plus PARM and ESYTRAN: options. Assist Mode allows you to change parameter values using the Key/Value Tab screen.
- The following features have been added or changed:
- Hex Calculator
- Messages text area on FTP Connect dialog
- Main-shell Tree was changed to open multiple level nodes
- Main-shell Tree was changed to include RemoteLibs node with PDS/PDSE sub-nodes
- Main-shell Tree ability to Copy/Export Work Folder(s)
- Main-shell Tree Edit Text File
- Main-shell Tree Compare local files to PDS members on z/OS
- Main-shell Tree Compare local files time stamp to PDS members time stamp on z/OS
- Main-shell Tree Sync directory with z/OS PDS
- Main-shell Tree Import Files
- Main-shell Tree Edit in Simple Text Editor
- Main-shell Tree Quick Search X button behavior now records the main_shell tree state
- Main-shell Tree Quick Search Cr button was changed to Enter button
- Editor Sub-shell Tree Back/Forward navigation buttons
- Error messages and user interface dialogs appearance have been enhanced.
The following software is also required:
- One of the following levels of the Microsoft Windows operating system:
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Windows 10 64-bit
- IBM Java 7 (32 bit) or later versions
- IBM Java 7 (64 bit) or later versions
- IBM Java 8 (32 bit) or later versions
- IBM Java 8 (64 bit) or later versions
- The following IBM products for z/OS are needed:
- IBM Migration Utility (IMU) for z/OS, V4.1 or later
- IBM Enterprise COBOL for z/OS, V4.2 or later
- The following IBM products for z/OS are recommended:
- IBM Personal Communications
- IBM Db2 for z/OS
Mainframe (z/OS) Requirements
The users of IBM Migration Utility Explorer will need the following:
- A TSO User ID with ISPF capability
- FTP Client to z/OS and z/OS to Client capability
- IBM Migration Utility for z/OS V4.1 or later
- The knowledge of how to use IBM Migration Utility
- The knowledge of how to run Jobs on z/OS
- The ability to look at input, output and hold JES2/JES3 queues
- FTP Server on z/OS with Jesinterfacelevel=1 or Jesinterfacelevel=2
The following minimum hardware levels are required:
- CPU - 1 GHz or faster 64-bit (x64) processor, dual or quad core recommended
- RAM - 1.0 GB minimum, 2.0 GB recommended
- Hard disk - minimum of 200 MB available space
To install IBM Migration Utility Explorer:
1. Create a folder where you want to install the IBM Migration Utility Explorer.
2. Download the self extracting install file (IMU_Explorer_V2.1.exe) into the folder created in step 1.
3. Double click on the download file to extract product components into the default folder or one you create.
4. Open the IBM Migration Utility Explorer folder that contains the extracted files.
5. If you are using 32 bit JAVA, double click on the Setup32.vbs file.
6. If you are using 64 bit JAVA, double click on the Setup64.vbs file.
7. Note: A shortcut is created on your desktop, a 64bit JAVA shortcut or a 32bit JAVA shortcut, depending on which one you chose.
8. Download the README_first.html for additional installation and getting started information.
The IBM Migration Utility Explorer is available at no charge to all licensed users of IBM Migration Utility for z/OS, V4.1 or later. It is supplied under the standard terms and conditions of the IBM International Program License Agreement (IPLA) and of the associated License Information and other documentation, and provides a defect correction entitlement for those licensed users entitled to service for IBM Migration Utility, V4.1 or later. Service is available for IBM Migration Utility Explorer for as long as the IBM Migration Utility for z/OS product with which the IBM Migration Utility Explorer is to be used is generally supported by IBM. In addition, IBM reserves the right to discontinue service. Please reference "IBM Migration Utility for z/OS" as the entitled product when contacting IBM and requesting support for the IBM Migration Utility Explorer.
15 June 2018