Preventive Service Planning
This document details the Microsoft® Office 365 backup and restore requirements for IBM Spectrum Protect Plus Version 10.1.6.
This document is divided into linked sections for ease of navigation. Use the following links to jump to the section of the document that you require:
Beginning with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus V10.1.5, support was added for backing up and restoring of Microsoft Office 365 data.
If you choose to protect Microsoft Office 365 with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, you need to purchase IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for Microsoft Office 365. For more information about this entitlement, see IBM Spectrum Protect V10.1.5 announcement letter
Product name update: Microsoft Corporation announced new product names, effective 21 April 2020, for its Office 365 offerings for small and medium businesses. With this announcement, all small and medium business plans transitioned to the new Microsoft 365 brand. In IBM Spectrum Protect Plus V10.1.6, the user interface and documentation use the original product name, Office 365. For more information, see New Microsoft 365 offerings for small and medium-sized businesses
Before you register a proxy host server with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus, ensure that the system environment meets the following requirements.
Tip: In the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus user interface under Manage Protection > Cloud Management > Office 365 as the application server.
To protect a Microsoft Office 365 application, you must register the application with Azure Active Directory and grant appropriate permissions. To get started, you must have the following items:
- An active Microsoft Office 365 subscription
- A Microsoft Office 365 administrative user ID and password
For instructions, see Registering with Azure Active Directory
If you have a Microsoft Office 365 administrative account, you can add users to ensure that they have valid licenses. For instructions, see Microsoft 365 in Visual Studio subscriptions
Note: The IBM Spectrum Protect Plus server and agent user do not store administrative user IDs and passwords for the Microsoft Office 365 tenant.
|IBM Spectrum Protect Plus||Microsoft 365 Business |
Basic, Business Standard, Business Premium editions
|Office 365 |
E1, E3, and E5 editions
A1, A3, and A5 editions
|Office 365 |
for Firstline Workers
|Microsoft 365 |
E3 and E5 editions
|Former product name: |
Office 365 Business:
Business, Essentials, and Business Premium edition
|Former product name: |
Office 365 Education edition
|Former product name: Microsoft 365 F1|
|IBM Spectrum Protect Plus||RHEL 7.0*||RHEL 8.0*||CentOS 7.0*|
* The base release and later maintenance and modification levels are supported.
IBM Spectrum Protect Plus supports proxy host server running on physical (bare metal) server and in a virtualized environment.
- Ensure that Java™ 8 is installed.
- The bash and sudo packages must be installed. Sudo must be at version 1.7.6p2 or later. Run
sudo -Vto check the version.
Tip: The required bash and sudo packages are included in the supported Linux x86_64 operating system.
- Install the most recent Microsoft Office 365 patches and updates in your environment.
- Install a supported version of Linux x86_64 in your environment. Ensure that the most recent patches and updates are installed.
- The International Components for Unicode (
libicu) RPM-package must be installed for the corresponding version of your operating system.
- Ensure that the effective file size ulimit -f value, which specifies the effective file size for the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus agent is set to unlimited. Alternatively, set the value sufficiently high to support copying of the largest Office 365 files in your backup and restore jobs.
- In a Linux environment, depending on your version or distribution, ensure that the Linux utility package,
util-linux, is current.
- The proxy host server must be registered with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus by using an operating system user that exists on the agent host. The user is then referred to as the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus agent user.
- Ensure that the password is correctly configured and that the user can log in without facing any other prompts, such as prompts to reset the password.
sudoersconfiguration must allow the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus agent user to run commands without a password.
The following prerequisites must be met before you start protecting your resources:
- To protect an Office 365 application, you must register the application with Azure Active Directory and grant appropriate permissions. When you register a new application with Azure Active Directory, the application credentials such as application ID and application secret are made available on the Azure Active Directory portal. For instructions, see Registering with Azure Active Directory
- To ensure that the IBM Spectrum Protect™ Plus agent can connect to the Office 365 tenant, you must register the Office 365 tenant credentials, and the proxy host server with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. This procedure is necessary to ensure that Office 365 data can be backed up to IBM Spectrum Protect Plus. For instructions, see Registering the Office 365 tenant with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus
Before you start a backup or restore operation:
- Apply a service level agreement (SLA) policy. For instructions, see Create backup policies
Review the following information about creating backup and restore jobs:
- To back up Microsoft™ Office 365 email, calendars, contacts, and data on OneDrive cloud storage, see Backing up Office 365 data
- To restore Office 365 data from backup copies on vSnap servers or remote storage, see Restoring Office 365 data
Ensure that the following connectivity requirements are met:
- The secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) subsystem for Secure Shell (SSH) is enabled.
- The Secure Shell (SSH) service is running on port 22 on the proxy host server.
- Firewalls are configured to allow IBM Spectrum Protect Plus to connect to the proxy host server by using SSH.
- IBM Spectrum Protect Plus uses the Network File System (NFS) protocol to mount storage volumes for backup and restore operations. Ensure that the native Linux NFS client is installed on the proxy host server.
- All servers, proxies, applications, and hypervisors that are added to the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus environment must be registered by using a Domain Name System (DNS) name or Internet Protocol (IP) address.
- If DNS names are used, they must be resolvable over the network by the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus virtual appliance server and the vSnap server. All IBM Spectrum Protect Plus components must also be resolvable by their DNS names.
- If DNS is not available, you must add the server to the
/etc/hostsfile on the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus virtual appliance by using the command line.
The following ports are used by IBM Spectrum Protect Plus agents users.
|22||Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)||IBM Spectrum Protect Plus virtual appliance1||Proxy host server||Provides access to troubleshoot and maintain remote proxy host servers that are running guest application components by using the SSH protocol|
1 The IBM Spectrum Protect Plus virtual appliance contains the following base components: the IBM Spectrum Protect Plus server, the vSnap server, and a VADP proxy, as described in Product components
|111||TCP||Proxy host server||vSnap server||Allows Open Network Computing (ONC) clients to discover ports for communications with ONC servers|
|443||TCP||Proxy host server||vSnap server||Port that allows the agent to communicate with IBM Spectrum Protect Plus for sending alerts in case of log backup failures|
|2049||TCP||Proxy host server||vSnap server||Used for NFS data transfer to and from vSnap servers|
|20048||TCP||Proxy host server||vSnap server||Mounts vSnap file systems on clients such as the VMware vStorage API for Data Protection (VADP) proxy, application servers, and virtualization datastores|
|Compatible hardware with quad-core processors supported by the operating system||5 GB of available disk space for temporary files at run time||4 GB Random Access Memory (RAM)|
09 June 2020