IBM i 7.3 - TR6 Enhancements
IBM i 7.3 - Enhancements timed with Technology Refresh 6
Note: The announcement materials for IBM i 7.3 TR6 can be found here.
The remainder of this landing page intends to make it easy to see the supporting detail these enhancements.
Db2 for i Enhancements
Db2 for i - Functional Enhancements
- INSERT with DEFAULT VALUES
- CREATE INDEX - optional alias and rename controls for field names
- New QSQPRCED() - QAQQINI statement level override controls
- SQL Precompiler enhancements
Db2 for i - Performance Enhancements
Db2 for i - Database Management Enhancements
- System Limits - by Table Size
- System Limits - QSYSOPR warning uses a new message - SQL7062
- Health attributes added to the SQL Plan Cache Properties
IBM i Services (new and enhanced)
Db2 for i - Services (enhanced)
Db2 Web Query V2.2.1
EZ-Install Enhanced: ibm.biz/db2wqezinstall
Improved IBM System Administrator sample reports
- PCIe4 2-port 100 Gb ROCE EN adapter adds dedicated driver & native SR-IOV NIC
- PCIe3 6-Slot Fanout Module for PCIe3 Expansion Drawer
- PCIe x16 to CXP Converter Card
- New Enterprise SSDs
- New Mainstream SSDs
- REST APIs - Integrated Web Services
- IWS engine now supports the ability to send SQL directly though the HTTP connection
- Now create CLLE programs and CL commands can be compiled directly from IFS stream files
- JTOpen JDBC driver supports
- Easier retranslation of program objects
IBM i Access ODBC driver ported to IBM i.
Allows any standard ODBC client to be able to communicate to the local database on i. It also allows an application to be developed using the IBM i Access ODBC driver for Windows/Linux and deployed to IBM i using the same ODBC driver.
Node.js Ecosystem Enhancements
- itoolkit package - SSH or ODBC connections can be used to communicate with ILE IBM i objects. See itoolkit for details.
Python Ecosystem Enhancements
New packages allow for security enhancements, more options for application development, data science, and machine learning.
Python Machine Learning and Data Science libraries. The following RPM Packages are available:
R brings another programming language to IBM i. Although it has a wide variety of uses, R excels at statistical computing and data mining. Db2 can be accessed from R by installing the “odbc” package and using the newly-delivered ODBC driver.
Open Source Tools
- Apache ActiveMQ, a robust message broker with support for several protocols including OpenWire, STOMP, MQTT, AMQP, REST, and WebSockets. For more information, see Apache ActiveMQ for details
- Apache Ant build automation tools. For more information, see apache for details
- Maven build automation tools. For more information, see Maven for details
- vim, a terminal-based editor. For more information, see vim for details
- yum-utils, a collection of tools and programs for managing yum repositories and installed software for more advanced users. For more information, see yum-utils for details
- Midnight Commander, a terminal-based utility for exploring the filesystem which enables the user to access FTP sites, compare files/directories, edit files, run things from a subshell, and lots more! The interface also has mouse support, allowing for menu-based access to functions and scroll wheel support. For more information, see Midnight Commander for details
Administration Runtime Expert - 5733ARE
31 January 2020