The IBM Cognos report Windows service does not start even though everything appears to be installed properly and all the checks in Cognos Configuration pass OK.
CFG-ERR-0106 IBM Cognos Configuration did not receive a response from the IBM Cognos service in the time allotted
There are several possible causes for this message.
- TIP: For more examples, search for CFG-ERR-0106 or refer to the Related Information section below.
This document specifically relates to the scenario whereby the cause is that the JAVA_HOME Windows System Environment Variable is not set correctly.
Diagnosing The Problem
Inside 'Task Manager' ensure that "Show processes from all users" is ticked. Then look for a process called 'java.exe'. If it does not exist and, therefore, not running, this is an indication that it may indeed be the issue.
Resolving The Problem
Generally, the JAVA_HOME variable does not need to be set for IBM Cognos to function.
- However, in some rare instances, it is necessary to have JAVA_HOME set to a file system location, for example, if another non-Cognos application on the machine requires it.
When using 64-bit versions of Windows, by default, this would be:
- Cognos10.2.2 C:\Program Files\ibm\cognos\c10_64\bin\jre\7.0
1. Right Click on My Computer and select Properties from the menu
2. Click on the Advanced tab
3. Click on the Environment Variables button
4. Check the JAVA_HOME environment variable in the System variables section to ensure the JAVA path is correct.
- For recent versions of Cognos products it is usually best to delete the variable 'JAVA_HOME' so that it does not exist
- However, for some systems it is still necessary to create and use this variable.
Was this topic helpful?
15 June 2018