Cognos Analytics offerings
IBM® Cognos® Analytics is available through multiple offerings. Each offering might support different components, features, data sources, documentation, and other aspects of the product.
The following Cognos Analytics offerings are available in version 11.1.7:
|Cognos Analytics on Premises||Cognos Analytics that is installed and run in a customer's environment. Long Term Support version is 11.1.7.|
|Cognos Analytics Trial||Cognos Analytics on Demand, 30 day trial version, that is available in the Premium tier. The product version is updated to the latest version upon availability.|
|Cognos Analytics on Demand||Cognos Analytics installed on Cloud that is available digitally via self-service. The product version is updated to the latest version upon availability. This offering has three tiers: Standard, Plus, and Premium.|
|Cognos Analytics on Cloud Hosted||Cognos Analytics that is hosted on a cloud. The product version is updated in consultation with the customer, and it must be one of the three latest versions of Cognos Analytics. For example, if the latest version of Cognos Analytics is 11.1.7, the customer must be on version 11.1.5 or later.|
|Cognos Analytics for Cloud Pak for Data||Cognos Analytics as an add-on in the IBM Cloud Pak for Data. The Cognos Analytics version is updated upon availability.|
For more information on Cognos Analytics on Cloud Hosted, see the license terms for this offering.
The following table specifies the functionality that is supported by different offerings of Cognos Analytics, version 11.1.7 and later. For Cognos Analytics on Demand, "Yes" with no further qualification means that the feature is applicable to all tiers. "N/A" means "Not applicable".
|Functionality||Cognos Analytics on-premises||Cognos Analytics trial||Cognos Analytics on Demand||Cognos Analytics on Cloud Hosted||Cognos Analytics for Cloud Pak for Data|
|Data modules (self-service modeling)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Dashboards and stories||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Reporting and scheduling||Yes||Yes||Premium||Yes||Yes|
|IBM Cognos Analytics Reports mobile app (3)||Yes||No||No||Yes||No|
|IBM Cognos Analytics Mobile mobile app (13)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Jupyter Notebooks||Yes||No||No||Yes (12)||No|
|Watson Knowledge Catalog integration||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|IBM Cognos for Microsoft Office||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Access to client tools - license dependent (8)||Yes||No||No (8)||Yes||Yes (8)|
|Analysis Studio (1)||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Query Studio (1)||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|PowerPlay Studio - with existing licence (1)||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|REST API with IBMid||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Uploading fonts and images||Yes||No||No||Yes||No|
|Customization (themes, extensions, palettes, views, parameters, custom visualizations)||Yes||Yes||Yes (6)||Yes||Yes|
|Customization (user profiles)||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Uploading files (10)||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Access to on-premises data sources||Yes||Yes (4)||Yes (5)||Yes||Yes
|Access to cloud data sources||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes
|Access to PowerCubes||Yes||No||No||Yes||No|
|Access to Planning Analytics as a data source||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Access to other data sources||See||See||See||See||See|
|Compatible query mode (CQM) data sources||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Dynamic query mode (DQM) data sources||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Execution of triggers||Yes||No||No||Yes||No|
|IBM ID authentication||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|On-premises or cloud-based authentication providers||Yes||No||No||Yes||No|
|Single signon (2)||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Report output to file system||Yes||No||No||Yes (11)||No|
|Access to the underlying file system||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|GO Sales database samples||Yes||No||No||Yes||No|
|Samples based on uploaded files||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Per user pricing||Yes||N/A||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Multiple environments (development, production)||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Long Term Support (LTS) release - 11.1.7||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Minimum number of users||N/A||1||1||100||No|
|Maximum number of users||N/A||5||N/A||N/A||No|
|Access on-premises printer||Yes||No||No||No||No|
|Works with MotioCI||Yes||No||No||No (7)||No|
|Import and export of deployments||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Save to cloud||Yes||No||No||Yes (12)||Yes|
|Kerberos Client for SSO||Yes||No||No||No||No|
The following list contains additional information related to table 2:
- Legacy studios include Event Studio, Query Studio, Analysis Studio, and PowerPlay Studio. The studios can be explicitly enabled only in Cognos Analytics on-premises.
- Single signon is available with OIDC authentication providers, which support this feature.
- Compatible with iOS 13.x and 14.x, iPad OS 13.x and 14.x, and Android 10.x and 11.x.
- Cognos Analytics trial can access 1 on-premises data source.
- Cognos Analytics on Demand is limited to 2 secure gateway connections that can access 5 on-premises data sources per data source.
- Standard tier users can use custom visualizations published by other users. Plus tier users have the same privileges as Standard users, and can also develop custom visualizations. Premium tier users have the same privileges as Plus users, and can also upload visualizations that were developed by other users.
- Cognos Analytics on Cloud Hosted might work with MotioCI. However, IBM doesn’t claim support for this configuration, and it doesn’t support the plug-in that enables "Active Versioning" and "Authoring Integration."
- Client tools that are currently available for download include Framework Manager and Transformer. Framework Manager can be used with Cognos Analytics on Demand only if the customer has an existing support and subscription (S&S) for the on-premises offering, and only as a means to move the on-premises metadata models to the on Demand offering. The expectation is that new metadata models will be created in Data Modules. Otherwise, Framework Manager is not provided with the on Demand offering. Cognos Analytics for Cloud Pak for Data supports only Framework Manager.
- The Explore component is available in Cognos Analytics versions 11.1.x and later.
- The limit per one upload of data is 100 MB. The limit of stored data per user is 500 MB.
- Save to cloud is available to Cognos Analytics on Cloud Hosted customers starting with Cognos Analytics version 11.1.5.
- Available with the subscription to Watson Studio. For more information, see this article (https://medium.com/ibm-watson/ibm-cognos-analytics-watson-studio-cloud-better-together-ac011059878f).
- Compatible with iOS 13.x and 14.x.
- Only the following options are available under Manage: People (Accounts only), Data server connections, Customizations, Collaboration, Storage, and Secure Gateway. For Cognos Analytics on Cloud Hosted, the System administrator role is not available.
Cognos Analytics on Cloud server locations
- Washington, DC
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Tokyo, Japan
- Sydney, Australia
- Montreal, Canada
- Washington, DC
- San Jose, CA
- London, England