Creating custom dashboards
Before you begin
To create dashboards, you must either be the owner of the API provider organization, or be assigned a role that has the Space. For information about enabling Spaces in a new or existing Catalog, see Creating and configuring Catalogs and Enabling Spaces in a Catalog. For more information about assigning Catalog or Space permissions to a role, see Managing Catalog membership and Managing Space membership.permission for the selected Catalog or
About this task
If Spaces are enabled in the selected Catalog, dashboards created at the Catalog level are added to all Spaces in the Catalog. However, if you create a dashboard within a Space, the dashboard is added to that Space only. For more information, see the Dashboards and visualizations: Understanding the inheritance flow across Catalogs and Spaces section in Catalogs, Spaces, and Analytics.
When you create a dashboard, you can add previously saved visualizations, and then arrange and resize them as required in the dashboard. If you want to add a new visualization that does not yet exist to the new dashboard, you must first create the visualization to make it available for selection from the list of saved visualizations. For more information, see Creating visualizations.
To create a custom dashboard, complete the following steps:
- If you are not already in the Dashboard application, select Dashboard to view the list of available dashboards.
- Select the New Dashboard icon to open an empty dashboard.
To add visualizations to this dashboard, complete the following steps:
Click Add on the dashboard to add a new visualization.
The list of saved visualizations is displayed.
Add one or more saved visualizations to the dashboard as follows:
- From the list of saved and default visualizations, select a visualization. Tip: If you have a large set of saved visualizations, you can either browse through the saved list or use the visualization filter.
The visualization is displayed at the end of the dashboard. Depending on the number of visualizations that are already on the dashboard, you might not see the newly added visualization until you close the saved list as described in step 4.
- Select any other visualizations that you want to add.
- From the list of saved and default visualizations, select a visualization.
- Click Add on the dashboard to add a new visualization.
- Close the list of saved and default visualizations by clicking Add new Visualization.
- Arrange the visualizations in the required order by using the move icon to drag and drop the visualizations in the preferred location in the dashboard. You can see this icon when you hover over a visualization on the dashboard.
- Resize the visualization containers by dragging from the lower right-hand corner.
- Optional: Change the time period against which the data in the visualizations is scoped. By default, a Last 15 minutes filter is applied. You can specify a different filter by using the Time Picker icon ().
To save the new dashboard, complete the following steps:
- Click Save in the menu bar.
- Specify a name for the dashboard in the Title text field.
- Add a description of the dashboard in the Description field that helps you identify it.
- If you want to save the dashboard with the time period that you specified in step 7, select the Store time with dashboard check box.
- Click the Save button to exit edit mode and view the dashboard.