• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-30T14:23:39Z by RicardoVillanueva
RicardoVillanueva
RicardoVillanueva
3 Posts

Pinned topic relationship between WLP features and WAS

‏2013-09-30T10:25:27Z |
Hello,

I have a question, it is: What are the relationships between Websphere liberty profile features (those included in featureManagement tag of server.xml) and those of a Websphere Application Server.

I mean, I am working in a project migration from WAS_v6.1, before we were developing with RAD_v7 and now I decided to use Eclipse Juno with WAS plugins.

So, I noticed that it necessary to add features to the server configuration through the features manager, but my leader project said we can't change the client server configuration.

Finally, in few words, I want to be sure that if I change the features in the server.xml file then, I don't need to change the client server configuration.
  • AlexMulholland
    AlexMulholland
    32 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: relationship between WLP features and WAS

‏2013-09-30T14:02:16Z  

Hello Ricardo.

Do you mean that you will be using a WAS 6.1 server to send client requests to a liberty profile server?  If so, you will not need to change the configuration of the WAS 6.1 (client) server.  

To answer your first question, the main configuration difference between the traditional full profile server and the liberty profile server is that the full profile has most features enabled by default (for example all the Java EE features), but the liberty profile has no features enabled by default so you can choose exactly what your application needs and you must specify that in the server.xml.  The implementations of those features are mostly common code.

Regards, Alex.

• AlexMulholland
    AlexMulholland
    32 Posts

‏2013-09-30T14:02:16Z  

Hello Ricardo.

Do you mean that you will be using a WAS 6.1 server to send client requests to a liberty profile server?  If so, you will not need to change the configuration of the WAS 6.1 (client) server.  

To answer your first question, the main configuration difference between the traditional full profile server and the liberty profile server is that the full profile has most features enabled by default (for example all the Java EE features), but the liberty profile has no features enabled by default so you can choose exactly what your application needs and you must specify that in the server.xml.  The implementations of those features are mostly common code.

Regards, Alex.

• RicardoVillanueva
    RicardoVillanueva
    3 Posts

‏2013-09-30T14:23:39Z  

Hello Ricardo.

Regards, Alex.

Thanks for your answer,  

This is that I was searching:

The traditional full profile server and the liberty profile server is that the full profile has most features enabled by default (for example all the Java EE features), but the liberty profile has no features enabled by default so you can choose exactly what your application needs and you must specify that in the server.xml.

Pardon me for my bad English, I have a lot of time without practice; I tried to say that I am migrating a application from WAS_v6.1 to WAS_v8.5, and I am preparing the develop environment for continue developing the application for WAS_v8.5.

Now the client is running the application (old version) in was_v6.1 and soon will be running other release of the application in his new was_v8.5.

Your answer is helpful, thank you so much.