1 reply Latest Post - ‏2013-10-06T05:02:01Z by JonathanEosze
JL2013
JL2013
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic An migrating-alternative for RD&T client-/server-utility  

‏2013-07-29T07:34:24Z |
Good morning !
We are trying to copy DB2, VSAM and applications from our test environment to zOS under RDzUT. I think the best method to obtain a one-to-one copy is to copy whole volumes.
I already noticed the 11th chapter in the zPDT redbooks where a server-/client utiltiy is described for just this purpose. But we cannot do this over the network for various reasons.
Is there an alternative for copying whole volumes?
I've read from the ADRDSSU tool in chapter 3.7 ('moving 3390 volumes'). But is this method equivalent to the client/server utility? It is written, that this way is more preferred, when tranferring "from z/OS on a RDz-UT system to a non-RDz-UT system", so the other way around.
Will it be able to copy DB2, VSAM etc. in one go?
I'm covering this topic in my bachelor thesis.
Thank you for all your answers!
Greetings.
  • JonathanEosze
    JonathanEosze
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: An migrating-alternative for RD&T client-/server-utility  

‏2013-10-06T05:02:01Z  in response to JL2013

To copy things between z/OS on RDT (the latest name for RDz-UT), and z/OS not on RDT, you can use any TCP/IP based transfer method. If you are a fan of using ADRDSSU, FTP'ing it from one z/OS image to another, and restoring the dump, then do it. It works just like you would expect when do such a transfer between any 2 z/OS images. And yes ADRDSSU can dump and restore the type of data you have listed. You can specify VOLSERs and/or Dataset names (with wildcards if you want). I've heard other shops say that they needed to make sure DB2, etc, was down before they could perform a copy for various sync issues.

However, you need to have some way of transferring data from one z/OS image to the other. If need be, you could use several hops to get from one to the other, including the Linux server an RDT instance is running on, just like you can use several hops to move files around between Linux or Windows servers.