Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-13T14:20:37Z by brianpiper
brianpiper
brianpiper
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic cplex with PGI compilers

‏2013-06-11T12:48:42Z |

I was hoping I could get some help or some insight for compiling CPLEX using the PGI (http://www.pgroup.com) compilers. I am not an expert in Linux and C++, but hopefully I can explain myself well enough to get some help.

I am using Cplex 12.4, C++ Concert API, and CentOS 6.4 on a 64 bit machine. Apparently, this is not one of Cplex's supported compilers, because when compiling using essentially the makefile that comes with CPLEX, I get an error like this:

/opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/include/ilcplex/cpxconst.h", line 98: catastrophic error:

#error directive: "Could not define CPXSIZE_BITS"
  #   error "Could not define CPXSIZE_BITS"

Looking at the header, I saw that if I added compile symbols __GNUC__ and _LP64, with the flags "-D__GNUC__" and "-D_L64", I could compile my program, but linking was a problem for some reason (linking works fine with the g++ compiler and Cplex on this machine). Here is an example of the linker error:

In function make_flow_constraints( (void))':
.. undefined reference to `IloExpr::__ct(IloEnv, double)'
.. undefined reference to `IloExpr::operator+=(IloNumVar)'
.. undefined reference to `IloExpr::operator-=(IloNumVar)'
.. undefined reference to `IloExpr::operator+=(IloNumVar)'
.. undefined reference to `__builtin_inf'

I tried to see if the there was somewhere else where the GNUC symbol was used, and after a quick "grep", I saw that I might want to define it as "-D__GNUC__=4", "-D__GNUC_MINOR=4" (this is the gnu c++ version on the machine), which MIGHT be fine with the PGI compilers, because they are (possibly) compatible with g++ in some way, but that resulted in a whole host of additional issues during compilation, like so:

"/opt/pgi/linux86-64/13.3/include/CC/stl/char_traits.h", line 125: error: this
          declaration may not have extern "C" linkage
  template <class _CharT, class _IntT> class __char_traits_base {
  ^

"/opt/pgi/linux86-64/13.3/include/CC/stl/char_traits.h", line 213: error: this
  template <class _CharT> class char_traits
  ^

"/opt/pgi/linux86-64/13.3/include/CC/stl/char_traits.h", line 219: error: this
  _STLP_TEMPLATE_NULL class _STLP_CLASS_DECLSPEC char_traits<char>

Does anyone have experience using the PGI compilers to compile Cplex? Any ideas what else I might try? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

• DanielJunglas
    DanielJunglas
    924 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: cplex with PGI compilers

‏2013-06-11T13:08:48Z  in response to brianpiper

You are right, these compilers are unsupported.

I take it you are trying to use the 64bit Linux port for CPLEX? If so then I think it would be better to compile with -DCPXSIZE_BITS=64 instead of -D__GNUC__ or anything like this. This should give you the correct definitions.

I am not sure whether the linker problems with C++ code can be fixed. Could you please try the following:

• Go to directory /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/
    • Edit Makefile: add -DCPXSIZE_BITS=64 to the definition of the CCC variable.
    • Run make blend. If that fails then please post the full command lines and output for compilation and linking here.
    • brianpiper
      brianpiper
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-11T16:03:33Z  in response to DanielJunglas

Thank you for the speedy reply!

You are correct about that I am trying to use the 64bit Linux port for CPLEX. I added the flag -DCPXSIZE_BITS=64 as you suggested... but I had a few more errors. I'll put them out one at a time, and some changes I made along the way to try to overcome them, though I am rather pessimistic about the changes I made after the first thing failed being a good idea, never mind if they're even valid. 

1. In examples directory, compiling with pgc++ -DCPXSIZE_BITS=64

pgc++ -O0 -DCPXSIZE_BITS=64 -c -m64 -O -fPIC -fno-strict-aliasing -fexceptions -DNDEBUG -DIL_STD  -I../../../include -I../../../../concert/include  ../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp -o blend.o

pgc++-Error-Unknown switch: -fno-strict-aliasing
      pgc++-Error-Unknown switch: -fexceptions
      make: *** [blend.o] Error 1

2. At this point, I remembered that I had removed those flags for the compilation I showed earlier and tried to find alternatives in the pgc++ compiler. The flag -fexceptions doesn't seem to be a problem, pgcpp has exception handling enabled by default, but I changed -fexceptions to --exceptions anyway. For -fno-strict-aliasing, things are murkier to me. It can compile at least without that flag. pgcpp has a flag, -alias, which can be set as follows:

ansi: Enable optimizations using ANSI C type-based pointer disambiguation

traditional: Disable type-based pointer disambiguation

Obviously, I don't want to make this question into a question about pgcpp, but just in case that makes sense. I tried with and without -alias=ansi and -alias=traditional. The blend example compiled with any of those options.

3. Sorry to add to the issues with item #2 but when I realized I had done that, I thought there might something I did wrong that would be obvious. Now, onto the linking. Here is the output, which is pretty long and looks fairly repetitive to me. This is with -alias=traditional, which I think might be analogous to -fno-strict-aliasing. Or maybe not, let me know what you think!

$ make blend

pgcpp -O0 -DCPXSIZE_BITS=64 -alias=traditional -m64 -O -fPIC --exceptions -DNDEBUG -DIL_STD -I../../../include -I../../../../concert/include  blend.o -o blend -L../../../lib/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic -lilocplex -lcplex -L../../../../concert/lib/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic -lconcert -lm 
      blend.o: In function `define_data(IloEnv)':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:44: undefined reference to `IloNumArray::__ct(IloEnv, long, double, IloVarArgsNum,...)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:44: undefined reference to `IloNumArray::__ct(IloEnv, long, double, IloVarArgsNum,...)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:44: undefined reference to `IloNumArray::__ct(IloEnv, long, double)'
      blend.o:/opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:44: more undefined references to `IloNumArray::__ct(IloEnv, long, double, IloVarArgsNum,...)' follow
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:44: undefined reference to `IloNumArray::__ct(IloEnv, long, double)'
      blend.o: In function `main':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:73: undefined reference to `IloEnv::__ct(void)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:79: undefined reference to `IloModel::__ct(IloEnv, char const *)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:81: undefined reference to `__builtin_inf'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:81: undefined reference to `IloNumVarArray::__ct(IloEnv, long, double, double, IloNumVar::Type)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:82: undefined reference to `__builtin_inf'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:82: undefined reference to `IloNumVarArray::__ct(IloEnv, long, double, double, IloNumVar::Type)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:83: undefined reference to `__builtin_inf'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:83: undefined reference to `IloNumVarArray::__ct(IloEnv, long, double, double, IloNumVar::Type)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:84: undefined reference to `IloNumVarArray::__ct(IloEnv, long, double, double, IloNumVar::Type)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:88: undefined reference to `IloScalProd(IloNumArray, IloNumVarArray)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:88: undefined reference to `IloScalProd(IloNumArray, IloNumVarArray)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:88: undefined reference to `__pl__F13IloNumExprArgT1'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:88: undefined reference to `__pl__F13IloNumExprArgT1'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:88: undefined reference to `IloModel::add( const(IloExtractable))'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:93: undefined reference to `IloNumVar::__ct(IloEnv, double, double, IloNumVar::Type, char const *)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:97: undefined reference to `IloSum(IloNumVarArray)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:97: undefined reference to `operator==(IloNumExprArg, double)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:97: undefined reference to `IloModel::add( const(IloExtractable))'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:101: undefined reference to `IloScalProd(IloNumArray, IloNumVarArray)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:101: undefined reference to `__pl__F13IloNumExprArgT1'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:101: undefined reference to `IloScalProd(IloNumArray, IloNumVarArray)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:101: undefined reference to `__pl__F13IloNumExprArgT1'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:101: undefined reference to `__eq__F13IloNumExprArgT1'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:101: undefined reference to `IloModel::add( const(IloExtractable))'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:107: undefined reference to `IloCplex::__ct(IloModel)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:108: undefined reference to `IloAlgorithm::setOut(std::basic_ostream<char,std::char_traits<char>> &)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:109: undefined reference to `IloAlgorithm::setWarning(std::basic_ostream<char,std::char_traits<char>> &)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:116: undefined reference to `IloAlgorithm::getObjValue( const(void))'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:119: undefined reference to `IloAlgorithm::getValue( const(IloNumVar))'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:122: undefined reference to `IloAlgorithm::getValue( const(IloNumVar))'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:125: undefined reference to `IloAlgorithm::getValue( const(IloNumVar))'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:128: undefined reference to `IloAlgorithm::getValue( const(IloNumVar))'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:131: undefined reference to `IloAlgorithm::getValue( const(IloNumVar))'
      blend.o:(.gcc_except_table+0x1f8): undefined reference to `__T_12IloException'
      blend.o: In function `IloFixedSizeAllocatorI::allocate(IloMemory *)':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloallocator.h:116: undefined reference to `IloFixedSizeAllocatorI::allocateBlock(IloMemory *)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloallocator.h:122: undefined reference to `IloAllocationList::alloc(long)'
      blend.o: In function `IloMemory::getIndex( const(long))':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloallocator.h:182: undefined reference to `IloMemoryException::__ct(void)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloallocator.h:182: undefined reference to `__T_18IloMemoryException'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloallocator.h:182: undefined reference to `IloMemoryException::__dt(void)'
      blend.o: In function `IloMemory::alloc(long)':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloallocator.h:203: undefined reference to `IloAllocationList::alloc(long)'
      blend.o: In function `IloEnvI::alloc( const(unsigned long))':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloenv.h:739: undefined reference to `IloEnvI::matchesAllocatorThread( const(void))'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloenv.h:741: undefined reference to `IloEnvAllocatorThreadMismatch::__ct(void)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloenv.h:741: undefined reference to `__T_29IloEnvAllocatorThreadMismatch'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloenv.h:741: undefined reference to `IloEnvAllocatorThreadMismatch::__dt(void)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloenv.h:743: undefined reference to `IloEnvAllocationDisabled::__ct(void)'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloenv.h:743: undefined reference to `__T_24IloEnvAllocationDisabled'
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloenv.h:743: undefined reference to `IloEnvAllocationDisabled::__dt(void)'
      blend.o: In function `IloEnv::end(void)':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloenv.h:1705: undefined reference to `IloEnvI::__dt(void)'
      blend.o: In function `IloArray<IloNumArray>::__ct(IloEnv, long)':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloenv.h:2161: undefined reference to `IloArrayI::__ct(IloGenAlloc *, long, long)'
      blend.o: In function `IloNumExprArray::__ct(IloEnv, long)':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/iloexpression.h:188: undefined reference to `IloExtractableArray::__ct(IloEnv, long)'
      blend.o: In function `__CPR69____ct__12IloObjectiveF6IloEnv13IloNumExprArgQ2_J6J5SensePCc':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../../concert/include/ilconcert/ilolinear.h:1458: undefined reference to `IloObjectiveI::__ct(IloEnvI *, IloNumExprI *, IloObjective::Sense, char const *)'
      blend.o: In function `IloCplex::solve(void)':
      /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../include/ilcplex/ilocplexi.h:2938: undefined reference to `IloAlgorithm::solve( const(void))'
      make: *** [blend] Error 2

• DanielJunglas
        DanielJunglas
        924 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-12T05:53:06Z  in response to brianpiper

aliasing is only related to optimization. No matter what value you choose for this option should not cause linker errors.

The linker errors you see are most likely related to an incompatibility between your C++ compiler and g++: Compilers are free to choose in which way they mangle C++ function names into symbol names and it looks like your compiler uses a different name mangling than g++. Consider this error message:

This error is triggered by this source code line in blend.cpp

nm = IloNumArray(env, nbElements, 22.0, 10.0, 13.0);

When I compile this on 64bit Linux and look at the generated symbols then I get

djunglas@... examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic> nm --demangle blend.o | grep IloNumArray::
                         U IloNumArray::IloNumArray(IloEnv, long, double)
                         U IloNumArray::IloNumArray(IloEnv, long, double, IloVarArgsNum, ...

So the symbol generated for this constructor by g++ looks something like IloNumArray::IloNumArray ... and this is the symbol that is provided by the libraries shipped with CPLEX.

From the linker error message it seems as if your compiler generates a symbol reference like IloNumArray::__ct ... for this constructor call. This symbol is then of course not found in the CPLEX libraries. Does your compiler have an option that instructs it to use a name mangling that is compatible with g++? If not then the only way out I see would be manually renaming all symbols appropriately. This would be quite painful and I am not even sure it will work.

• DanielJunglas
          DanielJunglas
          924 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-12T07:44:16Z  in response to DanielJunglas

According to this page adding --gnu to the compiler/linker flags or using pgc++ instead of pgcpp may resolve the linker issues. Can you please try that?

• brianpiper
            brianpiper
            4 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-12T18:00:23Z  in response to DanielJunglas

Thank for you the link and the suggestion! That seems to have really cut down on the errors. Here is what I get now, but this looks like something I can handle. 

pgc++ -O0 -DCPXSIZE_BITS=64 -c -m64 -O -fPIC --exceptions -DNDEBUG -DIL_STD -I../../../include -I../../../../concert/include  ../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp -o blend.o
            pgc++ -O0 -DCPXSIZE_BITS=64 -m64 -O -fPIC --exceptions -DNDEBUG -DIL_STD -I../../../include -I../../../../concert/include  blend.o -o blend -L../../../lib/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic -lilocplex -lcplex -L../../../../concert/lib/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic -lconcert -lm
            blend.o: In function `main':
            /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:81: undefined reference to `inf'
            /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:82: undefined reference to `inf'
            /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:83: undefined reference to `inf'
            /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:133: undefined reference to `__catch_clause_number'
            /opt/ibm/ILOG/CPLEX_Studio124/cplex/examples/x86-64_sles10_4.1/static_pic/../../../examples/src/cpp/blend.cpp:133: undefined reference to `__caught_object_address'
            make: *** [blend] Error 2

At this point, I figured I could get this in shape. I don't know why it didn't like "IloInfinity," my first response was to change that to 1.0E+20, because of what I found in cpxconst.h, and just commented out the "try...catch" block (leaving all the code the block contained). It compiled and linked, and ran successfully.  I tried out ilomipex1, and got a similar error, but I was able to compile and run when I removed the exception issue and when I made sure that all variables have an explicit upper and lower bound given.

So, not perfect, but it seems doable! If you have any ideas on the complaints about the exception, let me know, but I could just leave those out. Defining explicit bounds for decision variables is also not a huge deal. Thank you again for your help!
            • DanielJunglas
              DanielJunglas
              924 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-12T21:17:31Z  in response to brianpiper

In ilosys.h there is this definition of IloInfinity:

if (defined(ILO_LINUX) || defined(ILO_APPLE)) && !defined(ILO_RS6000)
              #define IloInfinity __builtin_inf()
              #elif defined(ILO_MSVC)
              #define IloInfinity HUGE_VAL
              #else
              #define IloInfinity  (IloGetInfinity())
              #endif

I guess you are in the first branch. If you are willing to edit this file you could try to replace __builtin_inf() by (1.0/0.0) (node the parenthesis and the floating point constants), or by anything else that results in IEEE infinity. What should work in any case (but is not as efficient) is to replace __builtin_inf() by IloGetInfinity(). Or just use IloGetInfinity() of IloInfinity. As long as you use only CPLEX as solver using 1e20 as infinity is also correct.

Searching for the exception message on the internet I found this. From that email thread I conclude that the problem is with the -fPIC command line option. Can you please try to remove -fPIC from CCOPT in the Makefile, delete the object files and try to build again?

• brianpiper
                brianpiper
                4 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-13T14:20:37Z  in response to DanielJunglas

Thank you again for your persistence. I am happy to report that the examples compile/link/run perfectly now, as does my own program. I used "#define IloInfinity (1.0/0.0)", as well as remove the -fPIC flag. Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it!