5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-18T14:46:28Z by kevintap
Sonia.ibm
Sonia.ibm
86 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Getting LWCMDataRetriever.getIXml Error Suddenly

‏2013-04-16T15:22:52Z |

Hi there,

I am working on getting results from WCM. Everything was fine and suddenly I started getting

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: LWCMDataRetriever.getIXml errors in IBM WEF.

I have a service and consumer model. I consumer model in my main method, I am executing below two statements:

DataServices/multiFieldServiceConsumer/getDocuments

SystemOut!${Variables/multiFieldServiceConsumerGetDocumentsResults}

When I remove the SystemOut Statement the main method executes fine and I see the results from the page. Please if someone can point what I am doing wrong. many thanks

regards,

S

• Sonia.ibm
    Sonia.ibm
    86 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Getting LWCMDataRetriever.getIXml Error Suddenly

‏2013-04-16T17:46:28Z  in response to Sonia.ibm

Hi there,

I figured it out what happened, when I checked enable paging in IBM Web Content Manager Authoring only then I started receiving this error, please let me know what could be the reason for that and if that will affect the performance cos then it might get whole lot list at once ????

regards,

S

• Sonia.ibm
      Sonia.ibm
      86 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-17T14:14:47Z  in response to Sonia.ibm

Hi there,

Instead using IBM WCM Authoring's enable paging I am using Service operation's enable paging, will there be any performance issues with this?

regards,

S

• kevintap
        kevintap
        728 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-17T18:48:32Z  in response to Sonia.ibm

The LWCMDataRetriever class will throw an UnsupportedOperationException when calling it's getIXml method.  This method is designed to return *ALL* rows of data from the data service.  This method is provided in the DataRetriever interface to allow paged data sets to be handled as IXml.  It it likely that your code (inadvertently) issues a request that is attempting to fetch the full data set.  This is potentially a performance problem, so this action is disallowed when using the paged data retriever option in the WCM Authoring builder.  The LWCMDataRetriever class is only used when paging is enabled in the WCM Authoring builder.  As you have seen, when you disable paging, it allows for retrieval of the full data set.  Please be aware that by disabling paging, that there may be performance problems depending on the size of the WCM library and the complexity of the WCM query.

Enabling the paging operation in the Service Operation builder is not equivalent to enabling paging in the WCM Authoring builder.  If paging is only enabled in the Service Operation builder (but disabled in the WCM Authoring builder), the full data set will always be retrieved from WCM.

• Sonia.ibm
          Sonia.ibm
          86 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-18T08:20:19Z  in response to kevintap

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply, I was trying to sort the resultset by the creation date so that the latest data appears first in the list using the transform builder but the moment I use it it throws that error. So now how can I achieve that?

regards,

S

• kevintap
            kevintap
            728 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-18T14:46:28Z  in response to Sonia.ibm

If you add a Transform Sort builder to the model, you will notice that it indicates a warning: The sort transformation will load the full XML data from the targeted paged data source.

This is because the sort operation requires all rows of data in order to perform the sort.  So, sorting at this layer is not compatible with using the paged data retriever option in the WCM Authoring builder.  If you need to initially sort the WCM content items, you will need to use the non-paged mode of the WCM Authoring builder.

Currently, the WCM Authoring builder does support sorting in the paged data retriever mode, but only through user interaction with the Page Automation sort functionality.  (In other words, the user would have to click the column header in the table to sort the data.)

I believe that we have an enhancement request already open to add initial/default sorting capabilities to the WCM Authoring builder.