Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-12-13T18:22:30Z by pdubovitsky
dhawal833
dhawal833
37 Posts

Pinned topic Clear Case Remote Client - How many concurrent users can it support ?

‏2012-12-11T16:59:51Z |
Hi All,

We have a good netwrok bandwidth. However, we wanted to know honm many concurrent users does the CCRC client can support over the network? Also, if the servers are in UK and the developers are accessing it from US , India or Australia then how many concurrent users can access the Rational ClearCAse via CCRC client ?

Any inputs will be very hrlpful.
Updated on 2012-12-13T18:22:30Z at 2012-12-13T18:22:30Z by pdubovitsky
  • brcowan
    brcowan
    733 Posts

Re: Clear Case Remote Client - How many concurrent users can it support ?

‏2012-12-11T18:53:53Z  
    I'm afraid the answer to this question is more questions:
    1) How large is the data set the remote users will be working on?
    2) How often will they need to refresh this data set?
    3) How much data will come down during these refreshes?
    4) What level of performance is considered adequate for those operations?
    5) Are you integrating with other IBM products? (ClearQuest, Requisite pro, etc.)

The CCRC server itself has been tested with unrealistically high numbers of simultaneous user sessions (I think in the hundreds, if I recall from an Innovate presentation). So, I don't think WAN server stability will be an issue as much as performance. And for that question, you would have to be somewhat more specific about the anticipated use and the server/network sizing. "Good network bandwidth" isn't telling what the end-to-end network throughput to the various sites is, nor does it tell us how many users at each site will be working at the same time at each of those sites.

Checkouts and checkins of individual files is one thing, and will probably be fine (as long as you aren't talking about checking 4.7GB DVD .iso files in and out) but other operations may be impacted by network latency or bandwidth bottlenecks.

=================================================================
    Brian Cowan
    Advisory Software Engineer
    ClearCase Software Advisory Team (SWAT)
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

Phone: 1.978.899.5436
    Web: http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/support/
  • dhawal833
    dhawal833
    37 Posts

‏2012-12-12T09:47:31Z  
    • brcowan
    • ‏2012-12-11T18:53:53Z
    I'm afraid the answer to this question is more questions:
    1) How large is the data set the remote users will be working on?
    2) How often will they need to refresh this data set?
    3) How much data will come down during these refreshes?
    4) What level of performance is considered adequate for those operations?
    5) Are you integrating with other IBM products? (ClearQuest, Requisite pro, etc.)

The CCRC server itself has been tested with unrealistically high numbers of simultaneous user sessions (I think in the hundreds, if I recall from an Innovate presentation). So, I don't think WAN server stability will be an issue as much as performance. And for that question, you would have to be somewhat more specific about the anticipated use and the server/network sizing. "Good network bandwidth" isn't telling what the end-to-end network throughput to the various sites is, nor does it tell us how many users at each site will be working at the same time at each of those sites.

Checkouts and checkins of individual files is one thing, and will probably be fine (as long as you aren't talking about checking 4.7GB DVD .iso files in and out) but other operations may be impacted by network latency or bandwidth bottlenecks.

Brian Cowan
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

Hi Brian,

The response was very useful.

1. There are around 6 VOBs each of around 10 GBs.
    2. Developers will work on only one VOB at a time.
    3. They might refersh the data at time (5 Objects at a time but not the entire set). But I don't presume that they will be refereshing the entire data.
    4. We are not integrating ClearCase with any other tools.
    5. Ther are two locations in India from where the VOBs will be accessed. The CC servers are located in UK. The number of users at "Location:1" is at max 50 concurrent users and "Location:2" with 10 Concurrent users.
    6. We have sufficient CC multisite license to support this user base.

What are your thoughts based on these inputs ? We are just worried that there will be a huge load on the network and the Network might get slow for other applications which get accessed in the same Network (WAN).
    Although, we need to test the connectivity. But any inputs from your side will be welcome.
  • brcowan
    brcowan
    733 Posts

‏2012-12-12T16:35:41Z  
    • dhawal833
    • ‏2012-12-12T09:47:31Z
    Hi Brian,

The response was very useful.

1. There are around 6 VOBs each of around 10 GBs.
    2. Developers will work on only one VOB at a time.
    3. They might refersh the data at time (5 Objects at a time but not the entire set). But I don't presume that they will be refereshing the entire data.
    4. We are not integrating ClearCase with any other tools.
    5. Ther are two locations in India from where the VOBs will be accessed. The CC servers are located in UK. The number of users at "Location:1" is at max 50 concurrent users and "Location:2" with 10 Concurrent users.
    6. We have sufficient CC multisite license to support this user base.

What are your thoughts based on these inputs ? We are just worried that there will be a huge load on the network and the Network might get slow for other applications which get accessed in the same Network (WAN).
    Although, we need to test the connectivity. But any inputs from your side will be welcome.
    It appears that you are asking the same question on 2 separate threads. That will make it very difficult to track which response goes with which.

The 50-user site is right at the border. Depending on:
    • the amount of work that those users do;
    • what time zone they work in; and
    • how tightly coupled their work needs to be with that of the other developers;
    You may be better served by using Multisite to send a replica of the VOBs to that site.

The 10 developer site is more than likely OK for CCRC, but those 3 bullet points could push you to using a replica there as well. Everything depends on what your developers need to do with the tool.

Finally, platform considerations could impact this as well. If those remote sites use Windows VOB servers, those clients and servers need to be in a Windows Domain (which may or may not be the same domain as the main site's). In that case, multi-domain issues could rear their proverbial heads. Also, you have various identity and permission preserving issues that need to be ironed out before doing any replica creations. Believe me, it's far better to think about these beforehand than to try to fix them after.

Brian Cowan
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

• dhawal833
    dhawal833
    37 Posts

‏2012-12-13T15:54:08Z  
    • brcowan
    • ‏2012-12-12T16:35:41Z
    It appears that you are asking the same question on 2 separate threads. That will make it very difficult to track which response goes with which.

The 50-user site is right at the border. Depending on:
    • the amount of work that those users do;
    • what time zone they work in; and
    • how tightly coupled their work needs to be with that of the other developers;
    You may be better served by using Multisite to send a replica of the VOBs to that site.

The 10 developer site is more than likely OK for CCRC, but those 3 bullet points could push you to using a replica there as well. Everything depends on what your developers need to do with the tool.

Finally, platform considerations could impact this as well. If those remote sites use Windows VOB servers, those clients and servers need to be in a Windows Domain (which may or may not be the same domain as the main site's). In that case, multi-domain issues could rear their proverbial heads. Also, you have various identity and permission preserving issues that need to be ironed out before doing any replica creations. Believe me, it's far better to think about these beforehand than to try to fix them after.

Brian Cowan
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

Thanks for the response Brian. This was useful. I will do as adviced. However, we are not considering to have a seperate replica created at offshore. We will ensure that we get the Port 12080 openned for CCRC access and ensure that the Users are in the same Domain as the ClearCase server. I don't think I am missing any pre-requisites. We will carry out a small Test where in we will test the Network usage and how fast or slow is CCRC.
  • pdubovitsky
    pdubovitsky
    189 Posts

‏2012-12-13T18:22:30Z  
    • dhawal833
    • ‏2012-12-13T15:54:08Z
    Thanks for the response Brian. This was useful. I will do as adviced. However, we are not considering to have a seperate replica created at offshore. We will ensure that we get the Port 12080 openned for CCRC access and ensure that the Users are in the same Domain as the ClearCase server. I don't think I am missing any pre-requisites. We will carry out a small Test where in we will test the Network usage and how fast or slow is CCRC.
    // We will ensure that we get the Port 12080 openned for CCRC access
    12080 is direct application port. It is not a good practice to connect to the WAS server directly.
    Especially, it might hurt you when you unsure about the load. (For instance, you might need to introduce additional CM/WAN server(s) and balance load across them, etc).

Pavel