Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-09-26T13:56:42Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
300 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WAS ND cluster and Database

‏2012-09-20T18:44:36Z |
I have 2 active sites. Each of the site will have a WAS ND cluster (with WL in it). That means I would have 2 WAS ND cluster in total.

I understand that if we deploy WL apps, we can go to the cluster's WL console to do so? so that all the configurations are copied to each of the node within the cluster. And since the configuration database represent what mobile apps are deployed in the cluster.

In my situation, should I have 2 clusters all using one WL database? or 2 clusters each have it's own DB?

What about the reporting database, both clusters all write to the same reporting database? Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    300 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WAS ND cluster and Database

‏2012-09-23T16:00:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Can you please explain why you are going the route of 2 WAS ND Clusters? If you are trying to isolate the 2 sites from a runtime perspective and are deploying two separate WAR/EAR files (one for each site) then you should have two distinct DB instances. It would be very beneficial to understand the deployment use case before one can suggest options for Worklight though.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      300 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-24T14:46:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      It's our current setup that we have 2 active sites with WAS ND
      Each site has its own WAS ND clusters
      The 2 sites do not talk to each other other than sharing the same DB infrastructure. we have SW DB failover from site 1 to site 2.

Now I want to overlay the WL setup to this setup. Do I create 1 database instance per WAS ND cluster for the WL configuration database? So I will have 2 WL database instances for the 2 clusters
      How about the reporting database instance? Do I have 2 instances or 1 instance for the 2 WL WAS ND cluster to use? Thanks.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        300 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-24T15:02:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        When you say "site" I think you mean physical location versus websites especially since you mention "we have SW DB failover from site 1 to site 2." Can I assume this means that you have a cluster that is actively handling requests and the site 2 is a hot backup of servers that can handle the failover ? Or are you saying that each "site" is deployed say regionally (east coast / west coast) and handling a specific region (and thus DB) and only fail over in case of failure.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          300 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T13:49:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Physical active sites

and the two sites are load balanced using a global site selector. So a message comes in can go left site, or the right site.

I really need to know if I can share the configuration database or need to have 2 configuration databases. Thanks.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            300 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T14:21:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            There is no hard requirement to go either route. If there is a strong desire to globally distribute the application servers and databases for fault tolerance and for performance reasons, then I would assume you would want the same model for the Worklight Databases for a consistency perspective.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              300 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T18:53:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              So let's say I have two DB. Do these two DB need to be synchronized?

Do they have device related information or any other information ? Because in our scenario. The same device could go to site 1 today, and go to site 2 tomorrow.
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                300 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-25T19:15:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                I would assume that you would leverage the same type of synchronization logic that exists for the other database. I believe the same rationale for having two separate cluster instances for both the original application server and databases should be applied to the Worklight Server.
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  300 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-09-26T13:56:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  OK Thanks.
                  So in summary, every single WL server would need to access the same metadata information from the configuration database. Whether the DB is syncec to have the same info or whether the DB is the same instance does not matter for WL.

Hope my summary is correct. Thanks.