4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-04T15:17:08Z by llandale
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3180 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic load() vs. read()

‏2012-05-11T10:51:09Z |
Hello,

I was wondering what the difference is when you use the below functions to open the current version of a Module and having it displayed on the screen? I understand the load() is used for baselines but what is the difference if any(performance) between the two functions when opening the current version of a Module? Thank you.

Module load(ModuleVersion modver, bool display)
Module read(string name[,bool disp, bool loadStandardView])

-Jim
  • grasswistle
    grasswistle
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: load() vs. read()

‏2013-11-01T17:51:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin

This is my exact question!  I need an answer to this!  

Thanks in advance,

Grasswistle

• llandale
      llandale
      2809 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-01T18:30:55Z  in response to grasswistle
      • "read" (string Name) only gets the current version of the module.
      • "load" (ModuleVersion) lets you open the baseline version of the module associated with some versioned link.
      • "load" (Baseline, Module) which lets you open a baseline of a module directly.

So "load" when following links or browsing Baselines; "read" when dealing with current version of a module.

-Louie

• grasswistle
        grasswistle
        13 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-01T19:49:41Z  in response to llandale

So, just to be clear, it is not possible to follow links and get the current version of a module with load?

Thanks,

Grasswistle

P.S.  By the way Louie, I've been lurking this forum for a while and I must say that the code fragments you have posted have made a world of difference in my work.  I have links to your profile (as credits) all over the place and people keep asking who this God, Louie, is.  Keep up the good work!

• llandale
          llandale
          2809 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-04T15:17:08Z  in response to grasswistle

No, you can get to the current version following links using "load"; but only if the versioned link (and therefore the "ModuleVersion") is actually to the current version of the module.  If you know you want the current version, use "read".