Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-01-11T14:15:44Z by SystemAdmin
Tom_Glaser
Tom_Glaser
27 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Refresh solid.ini

‏2012-01-03T13:21:57Z |
Hi,

Is there a way to refresh the solid.ini file without having to bounce solidDB? I'm taking a daily image copy and needed to stop the copy. I commented out the copy in the solid.ini file and had to take an outage to bounce solidDB.

Thanks,

Tom Glaser
MasterCard
tom_glaser@mastercard.com
Updated on 2012-01-11T14:15:44Z at 2012-01-11T14:15:44Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    115 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Refresh solid.ini

‏2012-01-04T08:26:06Z  in response to Tom_Glaser
    Hi Tom,

Unfortunately there is no way to make solidDB reread the solid.ini once the server is up and running. The way you would approach this is to change the parameter on the server with ADMIN COMMAND 'parameter'. Whether this would work in your case depends on the parameter being changeable at runtime (RW; but not RW/Startup as changing RW/Startup parameter won't affect anything until restart).

Could you clarify what you are actually doing (Which parameters are you using and how)?

Mikko Ruuska
    solidDB Development
    • Tom_Glaser
      Tom_Glaser
      27 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-04T13:39:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks Mikko,

I have the following in my solid.ini file:

Srv
      ; Take daily backup (includes ini file, logs, database files & solmsg.out
      At = 05:00 backup

We encountered a shortage on disk....and the backup was consumming a lot of additional space. I wanted to stop the daily backups...temporarily. I do see the ADMIN COMMAND for backup, but couldn't figure out a way to stop the daily backup. So, we had to take an outage to bounce solid. We are still working on the disk space issue, but it's related to the server, not to solid.

Mikko, do you agree the only way around this issue is to bounce solidDB?

Thanks, Tom
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        115 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-11T14:15:44Z  in response to Tom_Glaser
        Hi Tom,

Sorry for my tardiness. Seems my forum watchlist settings were not properly set.

From the documentation you can see that Srv.At parameter is RW, so you should be able to set the value to something else (see Infocenter: Srv section), and that should stop the command from running.

Unfortunately ADMIN COMMAND 'parameter' lacks the ability to unset the value of a parameter, but since the factory value of Srv.At is empty, we can reset it to the factory value.

solsql> admin command 
        'par srv.at = 21:44 makecp'; RC TEXT -- ---- 0 Srv At 21:44 makecp 1 rows fetched.   solsql> admin command 
        'par srv.at'; RC TEXT -- ---- 0 Srv At 21:44 makecp 1 rows fetched.   solsql> admin command 
        'par -t srv.at = *'; RC TEXT -- ---- 0 Srv At 1 rows fetched.   solsql>

This might save the change to solid.ini, so you could try using the -t option ('par -t srv.at = *'), but in any case, a backup of solid.ini won't hurt.

Mikko