Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-24T13:13:37Z by SystemAdmin
abarton
abarton
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic HATS v7.5: licensing and deploying to customers?

‏2011-11-21T17:41:51Z |
We currently use WDSC v5.1.2 to webface our existing i5 application, create a war file and deliver that to our customers. WDSC 5.1.2 doesn't have a runtime license requirement so we deliver the same war file to all of our customers.
We are going to upgrade to Rational Developer for i/Hats toolkit v7.5 and would like to continue delivering the same war file to all of our customers and have them set the runtime licensing settings after the war file is installed. Since licensing is enabled in the webfacing/HATS tookit, can this be done without requiring customers to purchase RDi and the HATS toolkit?

It would be a huge undertaking for us to enable and deliver a unique war file to each of our customers based on their various licensing needs.

If this can't be done, are there other options?
Thanks!
Updated on 2012-12-24T13:13:37Z at 2012-12-24T13:13:37Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1192 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: HATS v7.5: licensing and deploying to customers?

‏2011-11-21T20:22:54Z  in response to abarton
    Hi,
    Sorry, but currently the only way to license enable your HATS/WebFacing application is by using the HATS Toolkit. You should be able to download the trial version of RAD and the trial version of HATS and perform the license enablement. At least that way the development environment is free.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    • alisalm
      alisalm
      12 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-21T20:35:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

Actually, the HATS toolkit does not contain the license enablement. Purchase of the HATS product is necessary. I would suggest that you contact your IBM sales rep or business partner to discuss possible options. At a high level:

A WDSC V5.1.2 user can first upgrade the project to HATS V7.1 level and then move to HATS V7.5.1.

The documentation can be found in the HATS Information Center:

Migration of WebFacing projects from WDSC v512 to HATS v71:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/hatshelp/v71/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.hats.doc/doc/topics/migration/migrationguide.html

Migration of WebFacing projects to HATS v71 to HATS v751:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/hatshelp/v75/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.hats.doc/doc/topics/migration/migrationguide.html

To learn more about the evolution of WebFacing to HATS, please explore the Wondering about WebFacing Webinar: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/Wcd0f7758d3a2_4be8_a938_ffe8271d536b/page/Webcast%20replay%20-%20IBM%20WebFacing%20Tool%20Enhancements?lang=en_US
      • abarton
        abarton
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-21T21:50:11Z  in response to alisalm
        Thanks for the replies!
        We have RDi and the HATS toolkit v7.5 and have successfully upgraded our project from v5.1.2 to v7.5. We've also enabled the runtime license with a license we purchased so we can develop and test our HATS/webfaced application.

Our dilemma now is that if we deliver our application war file to our customers, they will get our license when they (I assume) would need their own. They all have differing numbers of named users. Our customers don't create the project or even have RDi/HATS toolkit. They just install the war file in WAS.
        Are we stuck with requiring them to purchase RDi/HATS toolkit and enable their licenses themselves?
        • abarton
          abarton
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-21T21:57:24Z  in response to abarton
          One thing I forgot to mention is that we have contacted our IBM sales rep and business partner and have yet to get a clear answer. Rational suggested we post a question here to see if anyone else is in a similar situation and found a solution.
  • CloudTsai
    CloudTsai
    55 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-22T09:14:22Z  in response to abarton
    Hi,

As Steve and Alisa mentioned, only purchase of the HATS product is necessary, and they could leverage the trial version of RAD and RDi to enable the license.
    Thanks.

Cloud
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1192 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-24T13:13:37Z  in response to CloudTsai
      Hi Cloud,

Relating to licenses, does the 3rd party customer need to buy licenses if it is hosted and accessed from the hardware from the company that developed the HAST application?

Also, lets assume that they have to buy licenses and they buy 5 named users. If they need 25 for UAT testing, I assume that they don't need to buy extra and testing is not counted for licenses?
      If not (i.e. they do not need to buy), how is the 3rd party testing licensed?
      Many Thanks

James