Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-20T22:49:29Z by etj
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Setting application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8 (.NET Servers)

‏2010-09-17T16:04:08Z |
Hi,

I have 2 MPGs which are connected in series and processing the request.

Consumer and provider, both are .NET application. WSDL contract saying that request should be WS-Addressing compliant.

When I imported that WSDL into SoapUI, and send a request to DataPower, I'm seeing content type as

Content-Type: application/soap+xml;charset=UTF-8;action="http://schemas.XXXXXXXXXXXXX.com/2010/08/YYYYYYYYYYYYY/GetXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"

And when this request passes transform action on the first gateway, this context type got changed into Content-Type: text/xml;charset=UTF-8

It removing action part from the header + it also changing it from application/soap+xml to "text/xml*. action part with the content type is required at .NET server because on the basis of it, it identify the request.

Now my question, Is this requirement can be achieved with some configuration changes on the DP or do I need to handle it in XSL?

Any other suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rohit
Updated on 2013-02-20T22:49:29Z at 2013-02-20T22:49:29Z by etj
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Setting application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8 (.NET Servers)

‏2010-09-20T17:08:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I've a soap request which is coming with content-type as "application/soap+xml" and when it passing through transform action, content-type is getting changed to "text/xml".

Is there any way by which I can retain the content-type after transform action? Or I need to do it manually in XSL?

Thanks
    Rohit
    • HermannSW
      HermannSW
      4513 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-20T18:59:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      > I've a soap request which is coming with content-type as "application/soap+xml" and when it passing through
      > transform action, content-type is getting changed to "text/xml".
      >
      > Is there any way by which I can retain the content-type after transform action? Or I need to do it manually in XSL?

For your original question on charset.
      Opening the service via Object screen (Objects-->Service Configuration) on tab "HTTP Options" you find
      "HTTP Include charset in response-type" option. It is off by default.

For the content type be aware that a tranform action might transform any XML type to any output type
      (XML, HTML, text, Non-XML, ...).
      So there is no relation between input and output content-type in general.
      You will have to set the content-type in XSL if the generated one is not OK for you.

(default output method is html if root element of result document is 'html', otherwise xml )

Hermann.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        6772 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Setting application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8

‏2010-09-20T20:42:40Z  in response to HermannSW
        Thanks Herman for your explanation. I agree that I have to play with XSL to implement this requirement.

But, I got an another interesting stuff..

I was trying to hold the incoming "Content-Type" in the XSL file but it looks like XSL changes the content-type as soon as it executes the first line. I put a logic in the root match template to get hold the incoming Content-Type but I'm always getting default Content-Type which is text/html as I didn't mentioned any <xsl:output ...> statement is my xsl.

so for me it looks like that you can't hold the incoming "Content-Type" in XSL because it overrides the Content-Type....

Can you suggest someway where I can hold the incoming Content-Type?

Thanks
        Rohit
        • alvaro_reguly@adp.com
          28 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-06T02:54:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I have the same problem... I tried two things:

setting media-type:

<xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" media-type="application/soap+xml"/>

and explicitly overwriting Content-Type HTTP header with:

<dp:set-http-request-header name="'Content-Type'" value="'application/soap+xml'"/>

with some success, but the Results Action on my policy sets it back to text/xml.

Any tips?
          Updated on 2014-03-25T03:32:48Z at 2014-03-25T03:32:48Z by iron-man
          • HermannSW
            HermannSW
            4513 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-06T10:36:51Z  in response to alvaro_reguly@adp.com
            Hi,

> ...
            > and explicitly overwriting Content-Type HTTP header with:
            >
            >

<dp:set-http-request-header name=
            "'Content-Type'" value=
            "'application/soap+xml'"/>

>
            > with some success, but the Results Action on my policy sets it back to text/xml.
            >
            > Any tips?
            >
            for me this works, I tested both in XML FW as well as MPGW.

Please create a service with just
            • match all action
            • a transform action using contentType.xsl from INPUT to PIPE
            • a results action from PIPE to OUTPUT

$ cat contentType.xsl <xsl:stylesheet version=
            "1.0" xmlns:xsl=
            "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:dp=
            "http://www.datapower.com/extensions" extension-element-prefixes=
            "dp" > <xsl:output omit-xml-declaration=
            "yes" /> <xsl:template match=
            "/"> <dp:set-http-request-header name=
            "'Content-Type'" value=
            "'application/soap+xml'"/> <xsl:copy-of select=
            "."/> </xsl:template> </xsl:stylesheet> $

Then turn on Multistep Probe, send a request through and inspect the Headers tab of context after results action.
            You should see content type "application/soap+xml" there.
            (If you send the request with eg. curl tool you might see content type "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" in the very first context)

So now if this works for you, too, then you need to dig into the differences of your service to this simple one.
            From which context does results action get the data?

Hermann<myXsltBlog/>
            • swlinn
              swlinn
              1346 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-06T12:31:43Z  in response to HermannSW
              Depending upon what you are doing in your processing rule, you may need to do a <dp:freeze-headers /> It could be that you set the header, but then a subsequent processing rule changes the content type.

Regards,
              Steve
              • alvaro_reguly@adp.com
                28 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-06T16:09:05Z  in response to swlinn
                Thanks for all the replies.

@HermannSW, I have attached a screen shot of the probe before my Results Action, since I have no other transforms I don't think it could be it. Seems the Content-Type change is caused by the Results Action, as odd as it seems. The previous comment had an attachment with the probe shot after the Results Action, this comment has the screenshot before the Results Action, with correct headers shown.

@swlinn, thanks for the tip, I tried that, but to no effect as well. The headers are maintained properly up until the Results Action.
                • alvaro_reguly@adp.com
                  28 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-06T18:22:37Z  in response to alvaro_reguly@adp.com
                  @HermannSW: I have tried the XSL you sent, setup a XML Firewall with loopback and posted my SOAP, got the same behavior:

dc2stisidpct1:/opt/apache/htdocs/wsdl/401k # ./alv.sh ; echo
                  * About to connect() to 172.24.18.151 port 2048
                  * Connected to 172.24.18.151 (172.24.18.151) port 2048
                  > POST /ADPServices/PlanService.svc HTTP/1.1
                  User-Agent: curl/7.11.0 (i686-suse-linux) libcurl/7.11.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7d ipv6 zlib/1.2.1
                  Host: 172.24.18.151:2048
                  Pragma: no-cache
                  Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, * / *
                  Content-Type: application/soap+xml; charset=utf-8
                  soapAction: "http://tempuri.org/IPlanService/PlanStatusCheck"
                  Content-Length: 663
                  <xml>***** I removed the body for clarity</xml>

< HTTP/1.1 200 Good
                  < User-Agent: curl/7.11.0 (i686-suse-linux) libcurl/7.11.0 OpenSSL/0.9.7d ipv6 zlib/1.2.1
                  < Host: 172.24.18.151:2048
                  < Pragma: no-cache
                  < Content-Type: text/xml
                  < soapAction: "http://tempuri.org/IPlanService/PlanStatusCheck"
                  < Via: 1.1 ContentTypeTest
                  < X-Client-IP: 172.24.18.143
                  < Transfer-Encoding: chunked
                  < Connection: close

I am running 3.7.3.13 on XI50.

Thanks
                  Updated on 2014-03-25T03:32:40Z at 2014-03-25T03:32:40Z by iron-man
                  • alvaro_reguly@adp.com
                    28 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-07T19:47:01Z  in response to alvaro_reguly@adp.com
                    Ok, I think I figured out what causes the Results Action to switch from application/soap+xml to text/xml. When I switched the Request Type from XML to SOAP, it started sending application/soap+xml.

Seems regardless of what I send via dp:set-http-request-header, what gets actually send is based on Request Type and HTTP Include charset in response-type.

I am now on the original problem, where .net expects lower case utf-8, and Datapower is sending UTF-8 if HTTP Include charset in response-type on the XML Firewall is enabled, even when my transform with
                    <dp:set-http-request-header name="'Content-Type'" value="'application/soap+xml; utf-8'"/>

sets it properly.

If I disable HTTP Include charset in response-type on the XML Firewall, then I get only application/soap+xml. Seems Results Action overrides what was set on my transform action.

Also, the Content-Type is correct until the Results Action on the probe, where it either drops utf-8 or converts it to UTF-8
                    Updated on 2014-03-25T03:32:34Z at 2014-03-25T03:32:34Z by iron-man
                    • atl30309
                      atl30309
                      25 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T18:01:25Z  in response to alvaro_reguly@adp.com
                      I am having the same problem for WSP on firmware 5.0.0.3 and 4.0.2.6. The Result action either removes (charset=utf-8;) or converts (charset=UTF-8; when "Include charset in response-type" is on)...

Has anyone found a workaround solution? Thanks much!
  • etj
    etj
    108 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T22:49:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I'm having the same problem with http header when trying to send a message with mtom encoding to .net customer web service. Please let me know if you have a solution.
    Thanks,
    El