Topic
9 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-07-01T14:39:18Z by gcorneau
cd3lgado
cd3lgado
66 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to query for temperature in AIX ???

‏2006-11-10T12:35:23Z |
Hi

I know there's a program you can run in order to get the temperature of any single system in AIX? My goal is to use dsh to perform commands like that in several servers form a centralized LPAR.

Thanks in advanced
Updated on 2009-07-01T14:39:18Z at 2009-07-01T14:39:18Z by gcorneau
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6907 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to query for temperature in AIX ???

‏2006-11-13T07:13:13Z  in response to cd3lgado
    Unfortunately this capability is no longer available. We used to have
    /usr/lpp/diagnostics/bin/uesensor -l

But that depends on the firmware getting the data from a sensor (often in the Operator Panel) and ALSO making that data available to AIX. This has not been available for some years.

With POWER5 High-End systems - those which have a Bulk Power Controller (BPC)for example p590/p595 - there is the possiility to obtain the temperature of the ambient (in-coming) air by using a line-mode HMC command.
    lshwinfo -r sys -e <managed-frame>

Regards Dave
    • gcorneau
      gcorneau
      59 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2006-11-13T22:35:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      FYI, the lshwinfo command also works from p5-575 frames, and you might want to use HMC Version 6.1 (and corresponding CEC/BPC firmware). There were bugs in earlier versions of the HMC code that would not show the temps all the time (okay, most of the time).

Glen Corneau
      IBM System p Advanced Technical Support
      • Kosala
        Kosala
        141 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-30T10:33:15Z  in response to gcorneau
        Hi,

I have two 9117-570 boxes (bit OLD, with POWER5). When I try "lssyscfg -r frames" from the HMC the result set is empty. Therefore I can't use lshwinfo to check environment details.

What is missing here, is it the system is not supported or our config has some problems? any help / pointers highly appreciated.
        • gcorneau
          gcorneau
          59 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-30T14:38:29Z  in response to Kosala
          Unfortunately the 570 class systems do not support temperature querying. Only the enterprise class servers (575 and 590/595, Power5 or Power6) have frames that are separate from CECs and support the use of the "lshwinfo" method to query temps.

For our Power6 class systems with Active Energy Manager installed on a Systems Director server, you can query temperatures for the 520, 550, 575 and 595 systems.

Glen Corneau
          IBM Power Systems Advanced Technical Support
          • CRM
            CRM
            83 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-07-01T07:46:48Z  in response to gcorneau
            Do you need AEM or just director 6.1?

I thought that you could change clock speed (on POWER6 with clock slewing ability) and check temperature with base director 6.1 but if you wanted to automate this and put in place energy capping policies and have autonomous running you needed AEM?

This should also be possible with all the P6 machines with a TPM chip installed (all bar the 9117-MMA). I beleive that Director talks to an API on the HMC which is talking to the service processor of the machine for the information (I think), does anyone know if there is a way to get this from the HMC if you do not have director?

regards

Chris
            • gcorneau
              gcorneau
              59 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-07-01T14:39:18Z  in response to CRM
              Starting with AEM v4 (4.1.1 is the latest release), you must install the AEM plug-in as part of an existing IBM Systems Director v6 configuration. There is no standalone AEM anymore.

IBM Systems Director will not gather any power utilization or temperature information from Power6 systems with the TPMD chip without the AEM plug-in installed. Or if it does gather monitoring information, there's no way of seeing it with AEM installed.

AEM has two main pieces:
              1) Monitoring - this is free and will work beyond the 60-day trial period after initial installation
              2) Managing - this is free only for the first 60 days, then you need to license the code to be able to enable Power Capping and Power Savings functionality for the capable Power6 systems.

In addition to that, you can use the base IBM Systems Director functions to automate the energy management, i.e. automatically turn things down at night, etc. Systems and group power capping policies are all part of the AEM plug-in.

Yes, IBM Systems Director does talk to the HMC via unpublished APIs for the monitoring and managing of power and temperature.
              I am not aware of any method to get this information (with the exception of the above mentioned lshwinfo on the Enterprise boxes for temps) from the HMC command-line or GUI.

Glen Corneau
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6907 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-06T04:30:16Z  in response to cd3lgado
    I realise this thread is a couple of years old, but is there currently any way to query the temperature of a 9117-MMA p570 ? I have looked around the HMC and diags etc but cannot find anything.
    • nh4aix
      nh4aix
      85 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-06T14:40:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi -

I believe the answer is "indirectly" you can get it... I refer you to the EnergyScale Whitepaper for Power6.

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/hardware/whitepapers/energyscale.html

The appendices have some nice summary charts...

Good Luck,
      Joe
    • gcorneau
      gcorneau
      59 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-06T14:58:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Actually, the 570 (MMA) does not have the support for monitoring of temperature. You can see this in the whitepaper referenced above.

Different systems have different capabilities (some firmware changes things as well).

But the bottom line is even with the systems that do support monitoring of temperature, you can't get it from the AIX operating system, but must have Active Energy Manager.

Glen Corneau