Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-04-23T14:59:40Z by RodrigoCruz
CMcGee
CMcGee
9 Posts

Pinned topic IBMIT 5.1 install via DHCP/BOOTP TFTP on iSeries

‏2012-04-10T18:13:04Z |
 We have been trying to get the IBMIT 5.1 to boot from a DHCP/BOOTP server on the iSeries.  We want to install Linux on a Native Linux LPAR on Power 7 hardware.  When we boot from the HMC we get the SMS console, did the configurations to boot from BOOTP, the boot starts, loads img1, img2a img3a, then we get an error: ftfp:read error [ERROR] Running "busybox tftp -b 1024 -g -r ppc/img4a -l /mnt/ramdisk/mnt/img4a 10.239.59.206 has failed Could not download Root Filesystem. The file does exist in the same directory as the other img files /tftpdir/ppc/.  Is the BOOTP option for the IBMIT support on a boot server running on the iSeries?
Updated on 2012-04-23T14:59:40Z at 2012-04-23T14:59:40Z by RodrigoCruz
  • willschm
    willschm
    48 Posts

Re: IBMIT 5.1 install via DHCP/BOOTP TFTP on iSeries

‏2012-04-12T13:00:35Z  
     I've asked my IBMIT contact to chime in here, will need to wait and see what they come back with.

Are you able to see the previous tftp commands, and tell if there is any obvious difference?  I'm specifically wondering if the path they are using for the local file is correct.  ( /mnt/ramdisk/mnt/img4a  ). 
    I'd also poke around and see if any messages are logged on the iSeries, related to the tftp activity.   (file not found or permission issues).   The tftp-server I have running on an old rhel linux install logs errors in /var/log/messages.  
  • CMcGee
    CMcGee
    9 Posts

‏2012-04-23T13:39:10Z  
    • willschm
    • ‏2012-04-12T13:00:35Z
     I've asked my IBMIT contact to chime in here, will need to wait and see what they come back with.

Are you able to see the previous tftp commands, and tell if there is any obvious difference?  I'm specifically wondering if the path they are using for the local file is correct.  ( /mnt/ramdisk/mnt/img4a  ). 
    I'd also poke around and see if any messages are logged on the iSeries, related to the tftp activity.   (file not found or permission issues).   The tftp-server I have running on an old rhel linux install logs errors in /var/log/messages.  
     I think this is related to a NVRAM issue I am having with the Tool Kit and our Power 7 9117-MMB hardware. I'm still investigating issues with booting linux on this hardware.
  • willschm
    willschm
    48 Posts

‏2012-04-23T13:55:47Z  
    • CMcGee
    • ‏2012-04-23T13:39:10Z
     I think this is related to a NVRAM issue I am having with the Tool Kit and our Power 7 9117-MMB hardware. I'm still investigating issues with booting linux on this hardware.
    Can you clarify your NVRAM issue statement?    (Tinkering with real-base ?)
  • willschm
    willschm
    48 Posts

‏2012-04-23T13:57:36Z  
    • willschm
    • ‏2012-04-23T13:55:47Z
    Can you clarify your NVRAM issue statement?    (Tinkering with real-base ?)
     I see your comments on the other threads, I'll look closer there. :-)
  • RodrigoCruz
    RodrigoCruz
    11 Posts

‏2012-04-23T14:59:40Z  
    Hello,

I see a few possible causes here:

1.  The file <TFTP root dir>/ppc/img4a on the does not have read permissions (unlikely, but worth checking). [Here, <TFTP root dir> means the directory where the files made available via TFTP from your boot server are located. It depends on the configuration of your TFTP server software, but it could be /tftpboot]

2.  10.239.59.206 is not the correct IP to get to your boot server. In that case, we would have a problem in IBM Installation Toolkit for using a wrong IP.

3. The client LPAR suffered from any network configuration error during IBM Installation Toolkit boot which is preventing it from accessing 10.239.59.206. To check this possibility, could you please attach here the full log of your terminal, since you leave the SMS menu until you hit the problem? [a copy/paste of your terminal suffices]

Thanks, 
    Rodrigo