Two new IBM Press books worth checking out!
- Intelligent Mentoring: How IBM Creates Value through People, Knowledge, and Relationships by Audrey J. Murrell, Sheila Forte-Trammell, Diana A. Bing
Book DescriptionFor today’s enterprises, few challenges are as daunting as preparing tomorrow’s leaders. Mentoring is one of the most powerful tools at their disposal. But not all mentoring programs are equally effective, and not all companies have learned how to sustain mentoring. One company has: IBM. Intelligent Mentoring reveals how IBM has done it–and offers specific guidance and best practices you can use to achieve equally powerful results. Intelligent Mentoring shows how IBM has fully integrated a diverse portfolio of formal mentoring initiatives into both talent development and innovation promotion. Whether you’re a business leader, strategist, Chief Learning Officer, training specialist, coach, or consultant, this book presents a state-of-the-art framework for making mentoring work.
Drawing on IBM’s experience, the authors demonstrate how to build a diverse portfolio of effective mentoring programs...use mentoring to strengthen organizational intelligence...build sustainable communities of mentors and mentees...promote collaboration across differences... and above all, link mentoring to strategy and use it to sustain competitive advantage.
Free Preview: In this limited-time offer, you can read Chapter 4 – Connecting People: Creating Meaningful Engagement FREE for the next 14 days on Safari Books Online. Audio Podcast: Listen to Audrey Murrell discuss Intelligent Mentoring, including her work on the impact of mentoring, what it means, and how lessons learned from IBM can be applied to other companies in using effective mentoring solutions. Try...Then Buy! Now through February 28th, use coupon code MENTORS at checkout for a 35% discount (plus free FedEx ground shipping in the US) when you purchase this title on ibmpressbooks.com.
- New Language of Marketing 2.0, The: How to Use ANGELS to Energize Your Market by Sandy CarterCongratulations to Sandy Carter for being named among the most influential women in technology by FastCompany magazine!
What’s the secret behind the success of leading companies around the world?
- Learn the secrets of success from industry leaders at organizations of all sizes, from over 50 countries - and why SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) was unanimously chosen as the best way to address their challenges.
- Leverage the IBM roadmap for SOA and Web 2.0 deployment, plus proven best practices learned in the field
- Understand what it means to be flex-pon-sive– and how your organization can get there
In a word: flex-pon-sive*. A flex-pon-sive* business is one enabled by thoughtful, well-designed investments in information technology focused on business models and processes. More and more, this flex-pon-siveness* is enabled by Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), an evolutionary approach to building IT systems focused on solving business problems. Companies that are embracing SOA show, on average, significantly better business results than their peers. SOA can help companies save millions of dollars but more importantly, can help lay the groundwork for future growth.
The New Language of Business: SOA and Web 2.0 is based on thousands of interviews with analysts and industry leaders at organizations of all sizes in over 50 countries, who shared their views, experiences and challenges of aligning technology with business goals. IBM SOA Strategist Sandy Carter examines the best practices methodologies behind hundreds of successful SOA implementations, from companies large and small.
In short, informative chapters, it provides readers with a specific roadmap on how, where, when, and why to embrace an SOA strategy – including “Top Ten Don’ts.”
Free Preview: Read Chapter 10, "The New Vessels" from Sandy's book as it is part of the Web 2.0 Marketing ebook.
Audio Podcast: Sandy Carter, with interviewer Greg Wiegand, presents concepts from her new book in three new audio podcasts (hosted by IBM Press partner InformIT.com):
Try...Then Buy!: Enter the coupon code: CARTER654X during the checkout process to receive 35% off the list price, plus free shipping in the U.S.
- Podcast: Part 1 - Focuses on the relationship between SOA and Web 2.0 (0:16:03, Mar 12 2008)
- Podcast: Part 2 - Discusses what SOA means for organizations of all sizes and examines growth opportunities for SOA (0:17:15, Mar 12 2008)
- Podcast: Part 3 – Provides real-world examples of companies who have achieved success by aligning information technology with business goals through an SOA (0:14:00, Mar 12 2008)