ITCAM for Transactions: Robotic,RPT,best practices,pitfalls Part1
ericmtn 1000009W88 Comments (9) Visits (38773)
Here is a list of best practices and commonly encountered pitfalls while using Itcam for transactions and its robotic response time (t6) agent with RPT (Rational Performance Tester).
1) VERSIONS OF RPT TO USE, OR NOT TO USE.
Currently, with ITCAM for Tx v7.4 environment , only the following versions of RPT are supported, on Windows OS for recording scripts that are going to be played back later robotically on ITCAM for Tx RRT robotic agent (product code t6) :
- RPT V8.3
- RPT V8.6
- RPT V9.0.x
- RPT V9.1.0.x
Any other version of RPT (e.g. RPT V8.5) can not be used with ITCAM for Tx V7.4
On RPT recorder machine, you will need to install the correct "ITCAM for Transactions Integration plug-in" version (also known as Rational Integration Support or RIS), to match your current version of RPT installed.
see "ITCAM RPT RFT Robot Support Matrix" for details :
I published a new video on Youtube, under the Monitoring Academy : how to install latest Rational Integration Support (RIS) package with RPT v9.0.1, see link :
Users of RIS must always check the readme document of the fixpack or interim fix being downloaded and installed. The most up to date version will always be the online version. This document will contain important information and additional installation instructions such as the requirement that states : "You must have administrator privileges to install the Rational Integration Support package" and ..."Important : Remove previous interim fixes from your dropins folder before installing this integration support."
2) RPT ARCHITECTURE TO INSTALL, OR NOT INSTALL
While installing RPT, ONLY install the 32-bit architecture, not the 64-bit, to work with ITCAM for Transactions environment, as seen below :
If you have already installed RPT, check using the IBM Installation Manager program, under File -> View installed packages, and verify if 32-bit architecture is used :
3) If you have not followed these guidelines, the following symptoms, among others, will appear in your ITCAM for Transactions environment :
- Robotic script playback "Last run status" = FAILED
- BWMRT0101E, BWMRT0106E error code are reported
- RPT workbench "ITCAM Perspective" red icon not available
4) If you don't know where to start with RPT and robotic response time agent
4a) determine which type of robotic script you would need for your environment :
4b) the mostly used type of script with ITCAM4Tx product is generally RPT script, as it covers a wide range of protocols and applications (HTTP, HTTPS, CTRIX, SAP, Siebel, etc..)
in order to find out the part numbers to be downloaded from your Passport Advantage, refer to the link:
for example ITM infrastructure part number :
eAssembly: IBM Tivoli Monitoring 18.104.22.168 for IBM Tivoli Composite Application Manager for Transactions V7.4 Multiplatform, Multilingual - CRP33ML
4c) Minimum components needed to monitor a web application for example :
- an ITM infrastructure (TEMS and TEPS components, parts of ITM v6.3 product)
- a script depot (part of AMC agent)
- a RPT workbench environment (recorder system) installed on a Windows machine with RPT v9.0 + Tivoli Rational Integration Support (RIS) 7401 IF 11 installed on it for example, and that has connectivity to the web application url.
- a Robotic Response Time agent (player system) to playback the RPT http test script that was previously recorded to the recorder system and previously uploaded to the AMC script depot system
4d) Passport Advantage Part Numbers to download to get RPT v9.0 for Windows :
4e) Passport Advantage Part Numbers to download AMC agent and Robotic Response Time agent for Windows:
eAssembly: ITCAM for Transactions - Response Time and Internet Service Monitoring V22.214.171.124 - CRWR5ML which includes
Response Time on Windows (CN6ALML)
4f) Tivoli Rational Integration Support (RIS) 7401 IF 22 is currently latest RIS available to be installed on RPT 9.1.0
5) Another subject, what can you do if you see sporadic and random crash of kt6agent.exe process on Windows, while the robotic response time agent is playing back test scripts?
Check first the file kt6agent.ras content and verify if it's actually 'kt6
6) What do you need to successfully record and robotically playback a TLS v1.2 secured web site application?
RPT 9.0 test scri
- RIS 7401 IF14 (build 201612081116) : to export RPT script to ITCAM4tx AMC agent depot repository
6b) Specifically for RPT Web Service/SOA test script with TLS 1.2, the following article should be reviewed as well :
This above link indicates what is needed on RPT side to be able to record and run the test with a performance schedule inside RPT.
On T6 RRT agent side, in order to playback robotically such RPT Web Service/SOA test script with its performance schedule, the following is needed :
Edit and change the file managed_jvm.xml