What is IBM Streaming Analytics?
IBM Streaming Analytics for IBM Cloud is an advanced analytic platform allowing user-developed applications to quickly ingest, analyze, and correlate information as it arrives from a wide variety of real-time data sources. Analysis of structured and unstructured streaming data like text, video, audio, geospatial, and sensor data helps organizations spot opportunities and risks to make decisions in near real-time.
Feature changes in the United Kingdom
With the availability of the more advanced container plans in all current Streams regions, the virtual machine-based plans in the United Kingdom have been deprecated already. As of End of Marketing on December 11, 2018, users were no longer be able to create new instances using virtual machine (VM) plans. Existing instances continue to run.
This notice is to announce the End of Service for existing instances of Streaming Analytics under the virtual machine-based plans in the United Kingdom. Users must begin the process of migrating applications to the new container plans immediately.
- End-of-service date of UK-based VM instances: October 17, 2019
Container plans provide a broader choice of regions for deployment, improved capabilities, and identical pricing to VM plans. A trial plan for containers is also available in all regions. In addition to this, container plan instances will experience a lower level of planned outages as functional and maintenance updates are applied.
Getting started with IBM Streaming Analytics
To get started with services in any region, follow these steps:
- Visit the Streaming Analytics page in the IBM Cloud catalog and create a Streams instance.
- Run one of our Sample Applications or develop and run your own Streams app by following our Streaming Analytics Development Guide.
- To estimate costs for your workload, use the cost calculator and select your country for local currency rates.
How to move from VM-based to container-based Streaming Analytics
Replace your instance
- Create a new instance of Streaming Analytics from the IBM Cloud Catalog.
Development of Streams applications
- Watson Studio:
- Python Notebook: Replace the Streams service associated with your Project. Rerun the notebook to build and submit the job.
- Streams flows: Replace the Streams service associated with your Project. Resubmit the flow to build and submit the job.
- Local development using Streams studio:
- Recompile your applications using RedHat 7 or CentOS 7.
- See the Development Guide for more information on setting up a new development environment.
- Local development using Atom or VSC (Beta):
Manage your instance
- Custom Service API use:
- Utilize the V2 Service API to manage your instance. Note, the V2 API uses IAM authentication.
Please see the IBM Streaming Analytics for IBM Cloud page for more information.