IBM Defense Operations Platform
Helping integrate military systems
Many of today’s military systems operate as silos, making it difficult to achieve integrated, end-to-end capabilities. Establishing and maintaining a secure, reliable technical environment where all these technologies work well together is a complex, expensive and labor-intensive process. The IBM® Defense Operations Platform gives defense organizations and systems integrators a common, reusable and interoperable software platform to help rapidly build, deploy and monitor mission capabilities.
The right information at the right time
The ability to send and receive accurate and timely data is essential for speed and agility in the battlefield. With the IBM Defense Operations Platform, military personnel from HQ to the streets of a conflict zone can benefit from superior decision-making by having the ability to deliver, analyze, use and synchronize data from systems across distributed and deployed instances—even remotely and offline. Because these interconnected systems are deployed on a common interoperable platform, organizations can improve information sharing and communications across the defense enterprise while reducing costs.
Overall, the IBM Defense Operations Platform offers an intelligent solution, enabling a defense department rapid access to control center, mobile and field-level applications. It also extends a shared, multichannel communications network to all users while reducing development and maintenance costs.
Collaborate with transparency and flexibility
The IBM Defense Operations Platform provides immediate interoperability, which can help cut costs, accelerate deployment times and increase system management efficiency. The platform offers:
- Two-day implementation through a set of scripts or VMware images.
- An interoperable, modular and scalable design.
- Service-oriented architecture (SOA) core services that can be mapped to the NATO Core Enterprise Services definition.
- Support to help achieve the data durability, security and maintainability requirements of a defense enterprise.
- Variable deployment options—from fixed data centers to deployable command posts and portable battlefield platforms.
- An assembled and integrated SOA Core Services Environment that provides minimum implementation and configuration.
- A hardware virtualization layer that enables deployment on a variety of vendor platforms.
- Mobile capability that interoperates with Apple iOS and Android devices.
An interoperable software platform
The IBM Defense Operations Platform includes several editions:
- Command Center Edition: For units with strong infrastructure capabilities, such as headquarters units, forward operating bases or very large ships.
- Field Edition: For units in transit, such as smaller ships, land vehicles, planes and mobile command posts.
- Mobile Edition: For individual soldier access in the mobile domain, such as through tactical vehicle installations, notebook computers and personal digital assistants (PDAs).
- Workbench Edition: For multiple client locations that need to architect, engineer, implement, build, test and deploy mission capabilities.
Each edition runs within the same IBM Defense Operations Platform environment, which allows for fast deployment of new or updated capabilities, and helps ensure communication integrity. Because the IBM Defense Operations Platform has been designed to provide many of the reusable core SOA services common to a variety of defense architectures—for example, NATO or Department of Defense core service standards—the platform can be fully integrated with new or existing compliant systems.